St.Croix/G.Loomis

sconceptor

Any comments on either brand of high end rods?

I'm looking at adding a couple high end rods to match to a few stradics. My first choices are St.Croix Legend Tourny rods, one walleye series 6'6 jig'n'rig all round eye slaying machine, and one 6'8 bass series finese rod for senkos, tubes, and soft baits. Each is about 220$. G.Loomis has a those bronzeback rods and walleye rods, but I think they're a light more expensive. G.Loomis does have a few regular brands, GLX, etc., that are about 200$, and seem pretty wicked.

Who prefers what brand? Can you go wrong with either?

I use a frontier a 6'8 MH great rod for bass and pike and walleye. I think i paid close to 140.00 for it and it is def loomis quality with the lifetime warranty to boot. I only hear good things about the St Croix legends though for those who can afford it im sure it is a spectacular rod.

I can't comment on the smaller sized St. Croix's, but most of my musky rods are either Premiers or Avid and their excellent , so I would imagine the entire line is of equal quality.

Never owned a Loomis, but have never heard a bad thing about them either.

I think you'll be happy with whichever brand you go with.

This might make me Mr. unpopular but I figure there is no need to spend that kind of money on rods. Just learn to use what you have. I spend around 150 bones for rod and reel. I usually buy Shimano but my walleye trolling rod is a quantum. I can fill my boat full of fish almost every trip. I could probably do it with a broom stick if I wanted to forego the cool rod bending fight.

The only thing with the more inexpensive rods is no life time warranty. I can usually get 8 to 10 years from a good shimano before I drive over with my truck, step on it, or any number of other ways a rod can meet it's demise.

I have tried the St. Croix rods and I found no difference between it and my shimano.

It takes me a good hour to find the right rod though. I have some strict criteria a rod must meet before I buy it. It probably wouldn't take me as long to find the right St. Croix if money were no object.

I say go spend an hour or so, at where ever it is you buy rods, and see what else is available. You may be surprised at the quality and lower cost.

This might make me Mr. unpopular but I figure there is no need to spend that kind of money on rods. Just learn to use what you have

You can also catch a bunch of fish in an old beat up 12' tinny too, but why not buy a nice new, hi end boat if your able to do so ?? :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

J/K

You can also catch a bunch of fish in an old beat up 12' tinny too, but why not buy a nice new, hi end boat if your able to do so ?? :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

J/K

Touche! :clapping:

If I could afford, or should I say, if my wife says I can afford to upgrade my tinny I would.

Heard great things about both rods. But going by some of the people that have owned a Gloomis, nothing better. You might also wanna check out a Shimano Calcutta rod. Slated for saltwater small game, but a phenominal rod for freshwater, ultra sensitive. My dad picked one of those up this past winter and stated its as good as any gloomis rod he has. Either way, I think you'll be happy.

I have gloomis (3) and st. croix (1), but my favorite rod was my silver mastercraft $5.99 that lasted about 20+ years before the lower half broke and the top half is now glued into the butt and continues making a living as an ice fishing rod 5+ years and counting on that and its going to take a helluva lotta perch before that breaks.

As long as you like the rod...

St croix are very nice but G loomis are even nicer. I have fished both and if you are looking for a casting rod I say put the money into the rod that feels great in your hand no matter what the price is. Then match it to the best reel you want until the combo feels like it is part of your arm. While you have spent more money in reality you have saved yourself alot of money because you will not use it for awhile and then buy another combo to replace it with. I have over 35 combos in the garage from ultra lights to saltwater rods and all of them feel just right in my hands or are set up as trolling rods and the few ones that did not live up to MY expectations were given to a friend or the local kids to start them on the road to fishing.

Art

Just imho:

GLX > Legend Elite > IMX > IMX/GL3 mixes (spinnerbait, mossyback, etc) > Legend Tournament > Avid > GL3 > Premier = GL2

In general, when comparing rods of similar price, I'd say the St.Croix rods have the nicer fit/finish but the Loomis blanks are superior.

Things to look out for before buying a new rod this year:

1. Legend tournaments are rumoured to be getting split grips this year.

2. Shimano Cumara series rod (IM-10) is the new top end above Crucial.

Edited by barracuda

Ask around a bit about what happens if you break a St Croix or G Loomis before you buy one. I have seen quite a few posts about how the lifetime warranty isn't such a deal when you have to ship out the rod and wait to get it back. If where you buy it will do over the counter exchanges then you are laughing. I looked at both types of rods for steelheading but just couldn't justify the price when I could get a total of 4 rods all different sizes and actions for the price of one them puppies. That it just me though always looking to do things on the cheap. As for others when it comes to fishing the only limit you should set on the cost of your equipment is the what if factor....

What if it breaks.

What if the signifcant other finds the receipt.

What if gets stolen.

What if I still suck at catching fish but have spent all this money. Which is my problem LOL

Edited by Canuck2fan

Guest gbfisher

I just took back 2 damaged St Croix musky trolling rods today. Ill post how it was handled after the song and dance I had where I returned them. Turns out that not all are life time warrantee. Which is OK with me. I was told when I bought them that if they were damaged to bring them back and they would be replaced. Turns out there is a new part owner and of course he was not at the time when this was said to me so .....phhfffffttttt on me.

You would think after $ 1000's that there would be some customer service.

Time will tell if I buy from them again.

I've heard some horror stories about Gloomis steelhead rods and repairs. I'm sure for both companies there's many satisfied and unsatisfied customers.

I do believe in going with a dealer you feel comfortable with. My local shop isn't very good for service, but they don't do as much business as the city shops. My local store makes you mall them back and deal with the companies. I like my K/W shop! I've had a few repairs done there, and rods sent away. They've always been good. It's 2hours away for me, but that's what is normal for living in rural south western ontario. I won't go save a few bucks on a rod at BPS either, as I doubt their service is as good, and it's a 3hour drive. I do spend thousands at both BPS and small shops! I just like that fact that the KW store, takes the rod, sends it off, no questions asked, and gets it fixed or replaced. One new rod was broken just before a week long trip, and they replaced it with a different rod of the same cost. They knew they'd be able to get a new rod back for the broken one, and sell it again.

I know you can catch hundreds of walleye with even a hand line, on lots of northern lakes.......but nothing beats a good rod. Match it with a good reel and good line. Then being able to feel all the bottom or shake of the lure and fish, is great!

I'll probably head down to K/W in a month and pick up a few rods. I'll work some OT first, so I've got some extra flow to pay for these. $500 for a couple of good rods and then I'll be craving a centre pin set up for the fall!!!!! Bottom bouncing for steelhead was great last year, but I crave a good centre pin, so I can float fish like a champ with the rest of them along the rivers.

Spending money on fishing never ends!?!?!? A thousand or more a year on gear, fishing trips and maybe 10grand for a better boat in a few years! I can't wait to win the lottery, or find a rich women to support me!!!!!

to rich for my blood,shimano,berkley are good enough for me got a free baitcast rod from bass pro this season its made of im8 graphite and has been performing sweet with my pfluger president baitcaster.ive held both loomis and st croix rods and they sure feel sweet but like i said to pricey for me.i like to use graphite meatstcks all backbone as so i can really rip the lips off those Bandits.

I have 3 gloomis rods, IMX(2) 6.5' one piece, and GLX 7' 2 piece, and they are all excellents rods. Had to get one serviced a while back, it broke when the fish went under the boat and the rod hit the gunwale. I brought to them when they were located somewhere around Hamilton, and they replaced it no problem.

Go ahead and get one Dawg.......I know you want one........come on it will feel good in your hand....... you will catch more fish...... it's only a little more than the last rod you bought..... wimmin will think you are sexy if you get it......you can brag to the Art how nice it is and he will get one..... Oppps guess I showed my hand. I would like to get one but I think I want to hold one in my hand before I splurge on that puppy.

Art

• 8 months later...

St-Croix.

I had a new one become a St-Cry when the tip-top broke off from miss-handling -just when walleye opener was just around the corner :(

My retailer had a new replacement on time for the weekend and I guess I was lucky this time. It probably depends what kind of retailer you get it from. OTOH I built a protective case for storing and transporting it.

Just imho:

GLX > Legend Elite > IMX > IMX/GL3 mixes (spinnerbait, mossyback, etc) > Legend Tournament > Avid > GL3 > Premier = GL2

Maybe I am miss reading this wrong but are you saying a GLX/IMX graphite is the same as a GL2???

If I miss read this I apologize but if thats what your saying I don't have enough time to begin to tell you were your wrong.

Your compareing Apples to Oranges...

Maybe I am miss reading this wrong but are you saying a GLX/IMX graphite is the same as a GL2???

If I miss read this I apologize but if thats what your saying I don't have enough time to begin to tell you were your wrong.

Your compareing Apples to Oranges...

I

Believe that Tom (Barracuda) was trying to show how he would ranks the model of rods.

The GL2 at the bottom of his list.

Not sure (might want to check) but I think that there is no more Loomis Canada.

Maybe wrong but check before you buy a Loomis.

Jose

Not much difference between g-loomis and St.Croix until you need warranty work done. G-loomis gives retailers a problem sending out rods for coverage.

Try the avid series (St. Croix) They make a 6'6 walleye rod with fuji guides that has wicked feel. Runs about $130 + lifetime warranty.

I have 6 st. croix's all are either Avids or Premiers. A few are for Musky the others I use for all purpose. My Avid 6'-6" is a stellar all purpose rod. They are so light and so sensitive you cant go wrong, if you want to spend the $$$ that is. The warranty is Lifetime on the Avids, and though I have not had any problems with mine, both places where I have purchased have said if they have any problems they will take them back and replace with no questions asked.

I have never used a Loomis, but I have picked them up and thought about it. I was actually pondering gettin' a Loomis Musky Rod but remain undecided.

With either of them you will be more then happy.