St.Croix/G.Loomis

sconceptor

Hello Sconceptor.

Like Greencoachdog mentioned, if you are looking for a high-quality, high-end and lighter-than-air rod, then check out Kistler.

They are just new on the market here in Canada, but have been going steady in the States for 10 years. Four lines of rods to cater to any angler's needs. The new lineup of Helium 2 LTX's are simply incredible....Although Loomis and St. Croix have been at the top for some time now, Kistler definitely needs to be mentioned when talking about Canadian-available rods...

If you have any questions, or are looking for a retailer, just give me a shout. I am the National Pro Staff - Canada Division for the company..

www.kistlerrods.com

Good Fishing,

Justin

You can't really compare the two, G-Loomis only makes one line of rods and they are the best money can buy.

I hear some complaining about repairs and such etc etc, but if you own a G-Loomis over a St-Croix you cut back your chances of needing repairs twice over.

MA

I think G-Loomis and St. Croix offer the same type of warranty where you send the broken rod back and for a fee the rod is replaced. With the recent down turn in the USA economy I think companies are noticing there is no way you can run a business by replace product over the counter (Wish I could get a new car when it wont start :D ). I am sure rod companies could make a rod you could never break - but I would never want to fish with a rod like that.

St. Croix warranty program: http://www.stcroixrods.com/content.asp?id=14

G-Loomis warranty program: http://www.gloomis.com/publish/content/glo...nformation.html

In my opinion a quality blank made for walleye fishing - not bass fishing - makes all the difference as walleye have very soft mouths and you need a rod that allows a sweeping hook set and a soft fast tip that keeps the rod loaded during the fight, therefore the hook does not fall out of the ripped hole in the walleyes mouth. Also try to stay away from all the MH ML etc. as you can not compare a walleye blank to bass blank or even a salmon blank etc. Many of the companies are now going to power and taper ratings which make it easier to figure out what you need.

-sheldon

I have 3 Loomis and 2 st.croix rods and although I usually reach for the Loomis, the st.croix are very nice and of great quality.

There is just something about the loomis that screams quality and they are so sweet to use.

I would say you can't go wrong with either , it's a matter of feel.

buy new or be cautious...

i bought a used St. Croix Avid Float rod, and the cork is coming out of the handle.... not 1 or 2 pieces, but all around and along the whole length of the grip...

talked to the guy at the local tackle shop and i'm SOL on it since i'm not the original owner... and even then, it would be did i register the rod etc... blah blah blah...

there's a million excuses they can use...

You can't really compare the two, G-Loomis only makes one line of rods and they are the best money can buy.

I hear some complaining about repairs and such etc etc, but if you own a G-Loomis over a St-Croix you cut back your chances of needing repairs twice over.

MA

One line of rods?? Check again. High end Loomis are definitely one of the best money can buy though.

I'll admit, I'm biased towards St.Croix. Their warranty program has been very good to me as well. I sent my broken rods directly back to the factory with a US $10 bill for return shipping. No questions asked.

The top of the line blanks from both companies are all amazing rods, no question. It's Croix's warranty that does it for me. Things happen on the water, rods break. If I pay top dollar for a rod with a lifetime warranty, I don't want to pay $85 to have it replaced.

seems like a high- risk investment to me . i see a lot of disgruntled owners of high-end rods so far.

i've landed some pretty decent fish on " medium priced equipment" . i know i certainly out-fish a

couple of friends of mine with their higher- end equipment so ,,,,, .i guess if you drive a ferrari to the

store , it's more fun than driving there in a ford.

as i slowly upgrade , i take pride in those purchases knowing that my interest is going to a new

level. high-end gear is the dessert .,, but let's not forget why we go out for dinner .

st. craw ? one day . hope i 'm not comparing it to my BPS rod that's outstanding for 1/2 price .

my buddy's st.craw seems to do it for him. that's one nod.

Edited by waterwolf

I own both G.Loomis and St.Croix rods. G.Loomis is in Mount Hope, just south of Hamilton. St Croix is in Wisconsin.

If you loose a ceramic line guide insert the rod has to go back for repair...for me it's easier to get service in Mt. Hope.

For me, it's getting harder to justify new G.Loomis and St.Croix rods.

In the past, Shimano's best rod, the Compre, was nice, but a bit clunky looking hardware wise.

Sort of like a girl in an evening dress and Dr. Marten's

In the last couple of years they have introduced the Crucial and Cumara rods and upgraded the Compre.

This Fall I was in the market for a new 7 foot baitcaster.

I looked at the Mag.Bass line of G.Loomis, but bought a Crucial for half the price.

This is no different than the GM/Chrysler/Ford debate... someone will tell you Honda is better.

There are many good choices out there and they all have their uses. When it comes to Muskie....my Compre for trolling, St. Croix Premier for jerk baits, my "Spiel Special" Loomis for Bucktails and Petemania Muskie rods for new boat mates to use.