Abu Revo Toro 60HS as a musky reel?

siwash

51 minutes ago, siwash said:

Guys, what are you thoughts on "hi-vis' lines 

For what application/presentation ? They have very limited use in my opinion.

Some guys like them for finesse Bass presentations like a Ned rig...you sometimes can see the line "twitch" before you feel the bite (strike detection)...but in that situation you're always using a 5 to 10ft  leader of fluorocarbon between the mainline and bait anyway. I would never tie hi-vis directly to the bait.

They can also be useful if you're floatfishing for Steelhead in a crowd....easier to track your line...but then again you're using a fc leader between mainline and leader. And personally, I avoid crowds like the plague.

So, to answer your question...I never use them. I'm all about stealth, even for Musky/Pike leader I mostly use 100lb+ fc rather than steel or titanium wire. The only exception is I'll sometimes use a stiff single strand wire leader on jerkbaits for Musky...helps prevent tangles when casting and provides better action on the retrieve.

Just a confidence thing for me.

18 hours ago, CrowMan said:

" Considering a Lexa 400WN paired with an Okuma EVX telescopic rod (8.5) for $350. Not bad for a starting rod/reel combo."

My buddy has that combo. If it's in good shape, that's not a bad deal,  and it will serve you well with a variety of presentations. If it's the rod rated for 2 to 8 oz and 30 to 65lb line, you don't need anything heavier for the Kawarthas.

Just got the specs on it - it's rated for 4 to 12 oz and 50lbs to 100lbs so a bit heavier that what you posted above.. Is this to beefy for Kawartha skis? 

Just an fyi to expand your options for a used rod, an extra heavy bass flipping rod will get you by in a pinch. They are typically 8 feet long and have enough power for kawarthas musky.

and yes, the Komodo does what it needs to do just fine. I can’t speak a ton regarding the longevity because I haven’t done a ton of musky fishing lately but I’ve been using it to throw A rigs in the fall on a MH st croix musky rod and it hasn’t caused me any issues yet.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Thanks 1

My "go to" for off the shelf leaders are the "Huskie Muskie" brand fluorocarbon. However, I usually just make them myself...a spool of 100 or 130lb Seaguar Abrazx FC, double barrel crimps, ball bearing swivels, and coast lock snaps...18" long for casting, 36" for trolling. Very easy to do.

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 3

On 9/19/2024 at 4:26 PM, BillM said:

I wouldn't touch a Tranx 400 with a 10ft pole after reading some of the horror stories. 

Which horror stories have you read? they seem to get glowing reviews from what I have seen and mine has been flawless. 

the only thing I recall seeing was when they first came out they had some where the drag would loosen on its own for some reason, but I believe this was fixed by Shimano. 

2 hours ago, 12 Volt Man said:

Which horror stories have you read? they seem to get glowing reviews from what I have seen and mine has been flawless. 

the only thing I recall seeing was when they first came out they had some where the drag would loosen on its own for some reason, but I believe this was fixed by Shimano. 

Pinion gears, drag being inconsistent, etc.    I know quite a few guys that have got rid of them for either the 500s or a different brand completely.   

10 minutes ago, BillM said:

Pinion gears, drag being inconsistent, etc.    I know quite a few guys that have got rid of them for either the 500s or a different brand completely.   

I've had a Tranx 400 for over 5 years...it's been flawless. If there is one negative, I do find my Lexa 400 has a slightly smoother drag...not a real issue, just an observation. But that's been the case for 30 years, Daiwa's have always had better drags than Shimano's imo...going back to the Whisker Tournament SS1300 which was the gold standard spinning reel  back in the day.

The Tranx 500 is just too big and heavy for casting all day...maybe for trolling....but I run a Tekota 600 for that. Not that it's necessary, but I like looking at the line counter.

2 hours ago, siwash said:

But aren't all these lakes connected? Aren't they all overrun? 

They definitely aren't, which is why I commented what I did.   If you want a musky, Balsam isn't the lake to do it on.   That's a beauty pike though!  I hope you ate it! LOL 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BillM said:

They definitely aren't, which is why I commented what I did.   If you want a musky, Balsam isn't the lake to do it on.   That's a beauty pike though!  I hope you ate it! LOL 

Curious.. how are they staying out of the other lakes? Do the locks prevent passage?

i released it! As well as the other one i caught! Shoot!

Edited by siwash

Nice Fish! Never seen a pike in the Otonabee in the 17 years I’ve lived here.  They are in some lakes but by no means over running the Kawarthas.  Drives me nuts when I see guys “pike fishing” pre musky or bass season in waters you know aren’t holding pike.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, siwash said:

Curious.. how are they staying out of the other lakes? Do the locks prevent passage?

i released it! As well as the other one i caught! Shoot!

Locks keeping them out for the most part..  Any pike you catch in Balsam you'll wanna keep :)

• Thanks 1