Soon!

Spiel

This is two of the many teaser pictures sent to me of a custom reel that I'm having built that is nearing completion. 
Once in hand I'll be in high gear to get a matching custom built rod for it to fish this Fall's Steelhead season. :)

image.jpeg

Cats Azz zzm.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I got around to starting the rod build yesterday for this new custom reel using a supplied piece of acrylic in the butt cap with some in house dyed Poplar and a hunk of vulcanized rubber fashioned in an "Old School" Float Rod style.

Cats Azz Handle Build 8.jpg

Cats Azz Handle Build 12.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CrowMan said:

Very nice ! Old School is the best school. What rod blank are you using ?

I'm somewhat torn on this one CM. I have an old Loomis 1562 IM6 I've considered building but given that my shoulder and wrist issues are a big factor these days I'm thinking it will most likely be an 11'6" CTS in a 4-8 line rating.

• Like 1

Yeah, getting old is a b***h. But like I said...old school is the best school...that old IM6 blank was a little "noodley", but it's a legend. If you're not using it, I'll definitely buy it from you...lol

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, CrowMan said:

Yeah, getting old is a b***h. But like I said...old school is the best school...that old IM6 blank was a little "noodley", but it's a legend. If you're not using it, I'll definitely buy it from you...lol

The line up to get that blank off me CM as you can well imagine is rather lengthy.  ;)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CrowMan said:

I found that my IM6 1562 had a lot more balls than my 1562 Premier 96% graphite

Progress is slow but I'm still advancing. This seamless all cork design handle is almost ready for installment onto the blank. I just need to mortise out the reel seat to accommodate the reel foot.   :)

image.jpeg

Cats Azz Handle Build 13.jpg

• Like 1

More progress today. The reel seat has been mortised and the hardware has been glued on and it's now clamped until tomorrow while the glue sets.
I also finished up the final shaping of the fore grip and inserted a matching insert to the butt cap.

Cats Azz Handle Build 15.jpg

Cats Azz Handle Build 16.jpg

• Like 1

The handle for my new rod build is now finished and I'm a showing just a portion of it here with the "big sister" reel that will soon be replaced with the smaller diameter "sister reel" that I hope to pick up in the next week or two.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dave524 said:

Yeah , that's old school, pretty close to the same cork dimensions I built back late 80's, reel well towards the butt. What is that a 6 inch spool ??

I am old school Dave, I've been doing this since 1975.  ;)
The reel pictured is 5 and 3/8's and  little sister reel I had custom made to match is 4 and 7/8's. 

1 hour ago, Spiel said:

I am old school Dave, I've been doing this since 1975.  ;)
The reel pictured is 5 and 3/8's and  little sister reel I had custom made to match is 4 and 7/8's. 

About the same here, starting getting supplies from L.G Tackle when Lorne was still operating out of the basement, remember a 17 foot Whaler parked in the drive. Store in Welland was also selling Browning Silaflex blanks back then, they were a pretty decent fiberglass as well

Edited by dave524
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

yall roe floaters spend as much time and effort as us bass guys do taking care of our boats, that rod looks like its worth about as much as my boat too 😝

Amazing craftstmanship 

I think all hardcore anglers love their toys AKRISONER and the more hardcore we get the more expensive the toys.  :)
Many thanks for the props.  :D

Don't see any clicker, loved running an old clickerless Stanton, gotta maintain contact with the spool at all times fighting a fish or a mega overrun, beautiful reel

edit; didn't look cool but a hair scrunchie around the handle worked well for travelling between drifts

Edited by dave524

16 hours ago, dave524 said:

Don't see any clicker, loved running an old clickerless Stanton, gotta maintain contact with the spool at all times fighting a fish or a mega overrun, beautiful reel

edit; didn't look cool but a hair scrunchie around the handle worked well for travelling between drifts

You don't see it Dave but there is one there. When your give back cabochon a 1/4 turn it engages a pair of micro detent springs, not to be used however when fighting fish, just to maintain line tension when the hook is in the keeper.

I have two of the original LG Custom (Stanton style) reels and they're extremely well used, now retired, they were always paired with a rubber band or hair scrunchie.  :D

• Like 1

Love the contours of the cork. Reel seat position is perfect. I guess we have similar tastes in classic simplicity. Not sure I would have the cojones to actually fish that reel, having said that I'm not one for leaving it on the shelf. 

Well done Chris, another masterpiece pairing.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

yall roe floaters spend as much time and effort as us bass guys do taking care of our boats, that rod looks like its worth about as much as my boat too 😝

Amazing craftstmanship 

Considering a lot of the Bass boys are dropping close to $1k on a NRX+ or a JDM rod, I don't think the river rats have a monopoly on having a fetish for expensive tubes of carbon..

"didn't look cool but a hair scrunchie around the handle worked well for travelling between drifts"

Even the best clickers are no match for a cedar branch...my wife quickly learned to buy a few more hair  elastics than she needed, but a clicker certainly helps when rigging up...and fighting the fish with the clicker on.. you might as well be fishing with a spinning reel...definitely uncool..

Beauty looking rig Spiel...hope the rod gets a good bend and the reel takes a good spin !

• Like 3