Thoughts on 1990s Boat

If you think used boat prices are high go  price a new one.

I’d buy any of those boats.  spring is here do you want to fish from shore or get out there were the big ones live. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, glen said:

If you think used boat prices are high go  price a new one.

I’d buy any of those boats.  spring is here do you want to fish from shore or get out there were the big ones live. 

agreed...

• Like 1

New to the forum, old dog that cant stop tinkering. Tinkering is why I'm not on the water this morning and surfing the net. Got in deeper than I expected in a perfectly functioning boat. 

I live in the 4-10 thousand price range for everything with a motor and I get bored with them easily. Just sayin I've had my fair share of the good and the bad. I like my tinnies, but A leaky boat is never good and can be a bear to repair. This boat appears to have led a hard life judging by the repairs. Repaired is subject to the one doing it. Most loose patience once they realize no boat is worth it unless your prepared to do the work right, have the skillset, the patience and the place. Not to scare anyone away from an old boat, but be prepared. I've done a few rip outs that looked decent before I started. Question with this boat is how far the repairs were taken. Most if not all 90's boats that sat outside will have been rotted out long ago. I bought a sylvan side console a few years back that spent it's life in a boathouse and still looked new. Carpets were still like new. Pulled the cap rail off the transome and ended up replacing the transome. Easy job, but unexpected.

Old motors unmaintained, same issues. Might run good today, but the power head is just a small part of potential problems. Rule I live by.....dont even hear what the seller says. Get it in the water. Simple. No excuse to not water test. There are a million threads that start with "it ran good on the muffs" lol

But maybe it's a good boat. Just my 2 cents.

Oh ya, hello everyone.

• Like 1

More what I cant see. lol

Looks to me like some factory rivets around the transom. A quick trailer cleanup always makes things look nicer than they are. People tend to be decieving.

I like the composite floor panels, if thats what they are. Ive never had problems with old mercs running good, but lower units make me nervous, Like shafts getting siezed in. Seals and gears, corrosion. 

• Like 1

I would put my 5K away, and save another 5K for next year.  I’d take up river fishing for smallies and salmon and trout for a season.  Then I’d find a 16 foot bare hull with a 30hp 4 stroke and put a flat floor in the front if your that type of angler.  I spent my first 7 or 8 boating years in a Lund SSV 16 with a 30.  I did all kinds of fishing out of that boat, caught all kinds of fish, and towed it all over the province.  Did a lot of down rigging out of it on big water too.  I would not invest in one of these old tubs.  I’ve watched too many guys at the ramp on various opening days praying to no avail that their motor would turn over, or that they wouldn’t have some other problem.  And then they try the home repairs because marine mechanics are expensive.  I’m a frugal guy, have 3 kids, one I’m putting through university, and 2 more to go.  I understand the need for budgeting, but I’m far enough down the road that I don’t waste my money on crap anymore.  My time is valuable, and when I want to go, I want to go.

Edited by porkpie
  • Like 3

^^this post talked some sense into me. Thanks for the wisdom. I’ve already got a 14 footer with a 15hp 4stroke merc with an i-pilot 55 LB thrust trolling motor on it. I fish walleye a lot but now I downrig for lakers on bigger lakes regularly with it and that’s mostly what I like to do these days so I’m looking for a bigger setup with more floor space and capability to keep doing that, but I’ll wait and get something newer thats got less wear. Appreciate the advice!

Edited by DD88
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I passed on it...  will take my time and increase my budget...

thank you for sharing your thoughts and wisdom..

Edited by siwash
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, porkpie said:

I’ve watched too many guys at the ramp on various opening days praying to no avail that their motor would turn over, or that they wouldn’t have some other problem.  And then they try the home repairs because marine mechanics are expensive.  I’m a frugal guy, have 3 kids, one I’m putting through university, and 2 more to go.  I understand the need for budgeting, but I’m far enough down the road that I don’t waste my money on crap anymore.  My time is valuable, and when I want to go, I want to go.

I sold 2 boats to those same guys while coming off the water during covid shutdowns. Because my tow vehicle is also my work vehicle and full of tools,  I tend to stop and offer assistance to folks. An hour or so later, theyre fishing and I'm on the hunt for a new toy. Semi retired and self employed has it's perks. Also pads the "mad money" fund.

Frugal....I live there. 4 kids and 5 grandkids is always concerning for me with times the way they are.

7 hours ago, siwash said:

I passed on it...  will take my time and increase my budget...

thank you for sharing your thoughts and wisdom..

Dont stop looking. Things come up quite often but you have to ready go the minute it does. 

I keep an eye out for clean in appearance. Photos can be deceiving though. I spend more time assessing what else I can see in the photo's. If it's parked in the grass, under the tree's, beside a delapitated shed surrounded by junk. it's a hard no. If I see a well maintained house, yard, vehicles and such, then I saddle up and go have a look, cash in hand and ready to tow. Always have a trailer plate. lol

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, slwndwn said:

Dont stop looking. Things come up quite often but you have to ready go the minute it does. 

I keep an eye out for clean in appearance. Photos can be deceiving though. I spend more time assessing what else I can see in the photo's. If it's parked in the grass, under the tree's, beside a delapitated shed surrounded by junk. it's a hard no. If I see a well maintained house, yard, vehicles and such, then I saddle up and go have a look, cash in hand and ready to tow. Always have a trailer plate. lol

I don't know how many of you notcied the pic of the other boat (brown carpet with wood finished console), but that is a very clean boat.  I saw it.  He started it too.. ran well. Very well maintained boat.  It's still available. There are a couple of things I didn't like but there is no perfect boat.  It has a great casting area up front. The two seats in the centre are sort of boxed in a bit with most of the room up at the front.  But was talking to a buddy and we agreed that we could remove the left side console/windshield as it's unnecessary. It's an Evinrude though...some of you have advised me not get an OMC engine. That would open the boat up. This is the boat I am referring to:

Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 3.40.42 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 3.40.24 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 3.40.10 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 3.41.03 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 3.38.24 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 5.55.59 AM.png

Edited by siwash

Someone spent some hours on it for sure. The Evinrudes people are afraid of are the Etecs. Although people think because they are no longer made, there is no support. The emm's (computer) were the biggest issue and were expensive. At one point they became hard to find, but there are companies that refurb them with warranty now and much cheaper. 

As for the layout, most of the fun is making it your own. I'd be tempted to make it a center console. Take it for a water test. Nothing I hate more than a leaky boat. Just my opinion of course. My buddies boat is forever pumping water out but he's been pounding the crap out it for 30 years or more on big water. Doesnt bother him at all. lol

• Thanks 1

Not a big fan of centre consoles.. I guess I am just not familiar with them.. I've seen a couple on marketplace for decent price.. Just think they would be best suited for deep water great lakes. 

3 minutes ago, siwash said:

What are your opinions on the "Force" motors (late 90s)?  I've heard some horror stories... 

Maybe an anchor? Theyre a chrysler engine straight out of the sixties. Other than the addition of electronic ignition. My opinion. Most folks avoid them like the plauge. 

I fish alone most of the time, so ya, the whole dual console is a waste of space to me also.

I personally liked the chrysler outboards they were the fastest motors of their time outboard manufacturers rated horsepower at the crank but Chrysler did it at the prop so you got the full hp without the mechanical loss you get going through gears 

• Like 2

Wasn't the injection system a big issue on those?  A lot of guys bypass that and just premix before fueling.    Still not a fan of 2 strokes.   I'd remove that pass side console or even remove both and make that thing a tiller.  Tonnes of deck space

• Like 2

4 hours ago, siwash said:

What are your opinions on the "Force" motors (late 90s)?  I've heard some horror stories... 

Originally Chrysler, but then in the 90's they became a stripped down Mercury, usually sold with "value priced" boat packages like Bayliners.

Common quote that you hear..."may the Force be with you, but not behind you"..

I believe that Evinrude "Tracker" in the photos is the same...a value version made for Bass Pro Shops.

IMO the brand's not as important as if it's been well maintained and parts are readily available. At the price point you're looking at, I don't think you're going to find Yamaha, Honda or Suzuki. If you're reasonably mechanically capable yourself or have a relationship with a trustworthy mechanic, then go for it. If not, you may want to save up and "cry once"..

11 minutes ago, BillM said:

Wasn't the injection system a big issue on those?  A lot of guys bypass that and just premix before fueling.    Still not a fan of 2 strokes.   I'd remove that pass side console or even remove both and make that thing a tiller.  Tonnes of deck space

I think most injector problems originated from the emm. That and human error. I'm anal about my fuel system. Especially now that I cant get eth/free gas. I may over do it, but I have never had a fuel related issue on the water. Etecs in sleds and boats. I love my old tripple tripple Mercs but I relized one day my wife wasnt a fan. I have a 2006 25 Tohatsu 4 stoke on my tinner and a 2006 60 Etec on my glass bay boat. Only issue I have ever had was the emm on the etec. Replaced 2010, never an ussue since.

I agree with your tiller comment. I was all tiller for fishing until my shoulders needed a rebuild. Never had to get off the seat. 

4 hours ago, Terry said:

I personally liked the chrysler outboards they were the fastest motors of their time outboard manufacturers rated horsepower at the crank but Chrysler did it at the prop so you got the full hp without the mechanical loss you get going through gears 

I need to learn how to multiquote.

I had 105 on a 14' thundercraft. It had just a slight bog at wot coming out of the hole that made me nuts for 2 months. Once I dropped the extra dollars on some Blue Thunder points and condensers it was a beast. Tore the lower unit clean off it and destroyed the boat in the process. Heck of a place to park a granite minivan.

On 4/6/2024 at 1:16 PM, siwash said:

go for it.. I don't know if I want to drive 4.5 hours (9 round trip).. down here boats are pricey.  Someone above said they wouldn't touch it for $5000.... i dont think he knows the market.. 12' tinners are going for $3000!  It's stupid.. I guess everyone is getting gouged in this high inflation world so they want to overprice their old toys too.. 

Most here know the market. Toys have been inflated for 4 years now and really if anything, prices are down this year. You're also looking for a boat at the worst time of the year so everything is top dollar. 5K for that old worn out boat 4.5 hours away isn't worth it so a good pass imo. 

There will be deals on places like kijiji and marketplace.... but you better be refreshing a few times hourly because they're gone almost immediately. 

Happy hunting

Edited by BassMan11
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, slwndwn said:

I need to learn how to multiquote.

I had 105 on a 14' thundercraft. It had just a slight bog at wot coming out of the hole that made me nuts for 2 months. Once I dropped the extra dollars on some Blue Thunder points and condensers it was a beast. Tore the lower unit clean off it and destroyed the boat in the process. Heck of a place to park a granite minivan.

i think prices are coming down too... i am seeing boats sitting weeks in some instances.  I aint in a rush.  i'd like something by early june...

5 hours ago, CrowMan said:

Originally Chrysler, but then in the 90's they became a stripped down Mercury, usually sold with "value priced" boat packages like Bayliners.

Common quote that you hear..."may the Force be with you, but not behind you"..

I believe that Evinrude "Tracker" in the photos is the same...a value version made for Bass Pro Shops.

IMO the brand's not as important as if it's been well maintained and parts are readily available. At the price point you're looking at, I don't think you're going to find Yamaha, Honda or Suzuki. If you're reasonably mechanically capable yourself or have a relationship with a trustworthy mechanic, then go for it. If not, you may want to save up and "cry once"..

My buddy has currently still runs a 135 force on a bayliner capri. First time I seen it with the cowl off laughed. Still looked the same as my ol' 105 from the 60's