How to size a bow-mount electric trolling motor

2 hours ago, CrowMan said:

Yes, the depth the motor head/prop sits below the surface of the water is completely adjustable on a TM. Longer is always better than shorter. If too short, the prop may not get enough "bite" for maximum power/control. If the water is shallow or extremely weedy where you're fishing, you can bring the motor up higher, as needed. Not sure how high the top of that bow is off the water, but 45" is probably the bare minimum for that boat. A 60" should be fine, if not preferable.

That's great.  A lot more 60" out there. 

thanks very much 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishing Rod said:

That is the same as the one I had on my 169. I'd like a foot pedal even though I used the remote 90% of the time.

It's a 2013. Getting weary of buying used stuff!! But no way am I dropping $3000+ on a new one 

So do these things have a good service and parts support/network? 

4 minutes ago, siwash said:

It's a 2013. Getting weary of buying used stuff!! But no way am I dropping $3000+ on a new one 

Yes, Minn Kota parts are widely available and some excellent repair shops around...Prop Shop, Aikman's..

A foot control (not a necessity, but a must have for me) is $350, if you add it to that used one.

Complete package on sale at Cabela's :

Screenshot_20240418_115915_Chrome.jpg

18 minutes ago, CrowMan said:

Yes, Minn Kota parts are widely available and some excellent repair shops around...Prop Shop, Aikman's..

A foot control (not a necessity, but a must have for me) is $350, if you add it to that used one.

Complete package on sale at Cabela's :

Screenshot_20240418_115915_Chrome.jpg

I don't think this one has a remote?

There were also some big changes to bluetooth around 2016. Guys on BBC forum will help you knowing what to buy. 

12 hours ago, siwash said:

I’ve mentioned it before, but I’ll say it again. The motherboard for those older ones is no longer available.  I just confirmed this with aikmans.  I’m repairing mine at the moment and brushes and seals etc are available.  Motherboard not so much.  Not a problem unless that main component goes on you.  You should be leary of buying used stuff by now.  Unless you have the ability to walk away from deals when something doesn’t seem right, you should probably stick with newer stuff.  They have the terrova with the mini remote for sale for $2k plus tax at cabelas.  I’d buy that before I spent $1800 on an 11 year old electric.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, porkpie said:

I’ve mentioned it before, but I’ll say it again. The motherboard for those older ones is no longer available.  I just confirmed this with aikmans.  I’m repairing mine at the moment and brushes and seals etc are available.  Motherboard not so much.  Not a problem unless that main component goes on you.  You should be leary of buying used stuff by now.  Unless you have the ability to walk away from deals when something doesn’t seem right, you should probably stick with newer stuff.  They have the terrova with the mini remote for sale for $2k plus tax at cabelas.  I’d buy that before I spent $1800 on an 11 year old electric.

I decided not to buy that one because I was thinking the same thing you posted. Just exploring now.. and yeah, make a lot more sense to get a new one that would cost about $800 or so more.. and the one of Marketplace actually sold. I think the one on sale for $2400 makes the most sense.. 

That terrova with the mini remote - reviews were meh.. some complained about the tiny remote and while another said: It was only when having the trolling motor installed in the Spring did I discover that the motor I bought did not include the heading sensor. The unit does spot lock without the sensor, but you cannot “jog “ left or right, front or back without the sensor. Also, the remote was the mini version and not the one with the lcd screen. So, not a deal at all. Cost me almost $400 to fully complete the expected experience. Buyer beware. 

Edited by siwash

Posted (edited)

I looked at my front storage where a 12V battery is housed currently.  I actually have a 12V deep cycle from my previous boat. But it's a group 27 battery and its 2" longer (12" v 10").  It'll be a challenge to fit it in there since I need two 12V batteries to operate a 80lber.  Guess I will have to get a smaller battery.  The battery sold with the boat must be a 24.  I am reading though, that 27s are the way to go for marine applications.. thoughts?

Edited by siwash

20 hours ago, Fishing Rod said:

That is the same as the one I had on my 169. I'd like a foot pedal even though I used the remote 90% of the time.

Did you have 2 batteries for the troller and a third dedicated starting battery? 

My little 14.5 sc with 25 4stroke is sensative to weight distribution is why I ask. When I have other people in the boat I have to move things around. His a bigger boat, but with the 50hp to push it, I was wondering if it might not be an issue with the family on board.

2 hours ago, slwndwn said:

Did you have 2 batteries for the troller and a third dedicated starting battery? 

My little 14.5 sc with 25 4stroke is sensative to weight distribution is why I ask. When I have other people in the boat I have to move things around. His a bigger boat, but with the 50hp to push it, I was wondering if it might not be an issue with the family on board.

Two 27 series batteries in the front and single in the back. Helped having a built in gas tank. Big difference between a 169 and 145 though. 

2 hours ago, Fishing Rod said:

Two 27 series batteries in the front and single in the back. Helped having a built in gas tank. Big difference between a 169 and 145 though. 

I don't know if I can fit two 27s

Posted (edited)

I ended up buying a Terrova off Marketplace.  Owner didn't have manuals.  I'll download them and watch Youtube as I have no clue how to use it.  It'a 45" 80lbs thrust.  He bought a longer unit because he had bought a 18' boat. He said I needed to make sure that I had a newer model finder that can link the I-pilot features to be able to take advantage of the full spectrum of options on these Terrovas.. So that I can network it and be able to use Navionics maps.  Honestly, it'll be a learning curve.  I'm sure between YouTube and a downloaded manual, I'll figure it out.  A friend is helping me get it all wired and ready for the season. Need another 12V battery to begin with.  So I was thinking of installing a brand new Garmin Strike Vivid 4cv. I picked up up on sale last fall to put in my previous boat. Can these be linked up with the Terrovas? What else should I be considering before I get into this setup? 

Thanks!

Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 9.27.30 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 9.27.03 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 9.26.20 PM.png

Edited by siwash
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 9:15 PM, siwash said:

This is what is offered up on the Minnkota website:

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 9.14.28 PM.png

Personally I think that the guy who sized these motors must be the same guy that sizes outboard motors for Legend.  I have a Starcraft 168 and it came with a 12V 55lb iPilot and it was under powered for the boat.  I since then purchased a new Terrova 80lb 60" 24V

• Like 1

You might have trouble with a 45" shaft on that boat if the wind kicks up.... usually those shorter shafts are for bass boats which are much lower to the water than deep V hulls.. that is why the guy got rid of it in the first place.

You also bought an regular I-pilot motor, not an I-pilot link. So its just a GPS motor and does not have the capability to hook up to a fish finder. You would have to upgrade the head unit if you wanted that. 

If you do that, then you'll have to buy a Humminbird fish finder that is compatible for Link... check below. 

https://minnkota.johnsonoutdoors.com/us/support/compatibility/link

As for batteries... if you have confined space 2 100ah mini lithium trolling motor batteries might be a good option. There are some budget brands who make them which get decent reviews right now.

Getting into higher tech electronic outfits for your boat is not a cheap endeavor. Its a "do it right the first time and try and make it last as long as possible" type of thing. 

Good luck

BM 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, BassMan11 said:

You might have trouble with a 45" shaft on that boat if the wind kicks up.... usually those shorter shafts are for bass boats which are much lower to the water than deep V hulls.. that is why the guy got rid of it in the first place.

You also bought an regular I-pilot motor, not an I-pilot link. So its just a GPS motor and does not have the capability to hook up to a fish finder. You would have to upgrade the head unit if you wanted that. 

If you do that, then you'll have to buy a Humminbird fish finder that is compatible for Link... check below. 

https://minnkota.johnsonoutdoors.com/us/support/compatibility/link

As for batteries... if you have confined space 2 100ah mini lithium trolling motor batteries might be a good option. There are some budget brands who make them which get decent reviews right now.

Getting into higher tech electronic outfits for your boat is not a cheap endeavor. Its a "do it right the first time and try and make it last as long as possible" type of thing. 

Good luck

BM 

Thanks, Bassman, 

My boat is not a deep V.  In fact I took it out briefly on the weekend and deployed the trolling motor (a 45") that came with the sale. There was a chop. Seemed fine.  the prop was well submerged in the water.  It's not a big boat, and as I said, not very deep.  Maybe big swells changes that.  But I don't go out when there's major chop to be honest. I generally fish small lakes (Cameron, Kashe, etc) We will see!

So what are the main features then of the regular i-Pilot ?  I know it can spot lock (which is what I wanted) and I believe it will navigate to a direction that you can lock in to (record a track?).  Will it learn a route? I saw a video where they demonstrated this by using their main motor to set the route then the i-pilot learned it and was able to replicate.  

Price was right so I jumped on it.  It's a lot better than the old unit I currently have which is a 50lbs older Minn (90s)

Edited by siwash