Ball bearings for reels

Hooked

Hey, was curious if anyone knows of any alternatives to Boca Bearings?  If anyone has looked into them, they know they are good but also very expensive.  So I am hoping someone knows of a cheaper brand, but still holds up to quality.  I did order some ABEC-7 Hybrid ball bearings from AliExpress.  Will see how they perform.  

Boca may be the more expensive but they are also the best and will pay for themselves in the long run over cheaper ones. With the cost of reels these days it's worth it. I worked on a lot of aircraft fan assemblies and there was one in particular that needed to be overhauled after 100 hours. Well someone in purchasing decided to buy a cheap version of the same bearing and those motors started coming in to the shop with failures after 50-60 hours. So I went to my boss and he made sure that purchasing went back to the much more expensive bearings and there were no more issues with failed bearings. You'll never regret buying a quality product in the long run.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, smitty55 said:

Boca may be the more expensive but they are also the best and will pay for themselves in the long run over cheaper ones. With the cost of reels these days it's worth it. I worked on a lot of aircraft fan assemblies and there was one in particular that needed to be overhauled after 100 hours. Well someone in purchasing decided to buy a cheap version of the same bearing and those motors started coming in to the shop with failures after 50-60 hours. So I went to my boss and he made sure that purchasing went back to the much more expensive bearings and there were no more issues with failed bearings. You'll never regret buying a quality product in the long run.

I used Boca for my Zillion, ABEC-5, and it is considerably improved.  Should of got the 7's but oh well.  Yeah I was just thinking of upgrading bearings on less expensive reels.  But your point is well taken for sure.  Especially in your line of work!  Thanks.

35 minutes ago, BillM said:

Gimme ABEC-3's or 5's..   With proper maintenance they should last a loooooong time.

I agree Bill. The higher the ABEC rating, the higher the tolerances...but that doesn't mean they spin any "faster". 

At the RPM that fishing reels turn at, and the minimal torsional load, it's really not that critical.

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 3

I use the saltwater series in my rebuilds because I fsh salt and brackish water and they are excellent. I dunk em after each trip in fresh water take them apart and clean them after my vacation. It might be overkill but the few people who get to use my equipment have enjoyed how smooth and far it casts. 

Art

• Like 4