BBQ Help Please (NF) *Updated*

Joey

Our BBQ was not working up to par and was dirty, so I cleaned it all up,

took the old element out and bought a new one ($45) and replaced it.

Now everything I cook gets all black and sooty and doesn't taste all that good.

I wrote to an internet BBQ expert site and they said that if my flame

was orange instead of blue the propane was not getting enough oxygen and to adjust the hoses.

We adjusted and readusted and nothing is making a difference. My next step is to trash the BBQ and

buy a new one.

So this is my last kick at the can before tossing the BBQ out.

Anyone have ANY ideas I can try before I do that.

Thanks in advance.

Joey

** I talked to the manufacturer of the "universal" replacement burner I bought, who have just been bought out by another company as they're going down. I was told by he new company that if the flame is orange/yellow at the get go, there is no way to fix it on my make and model of BBQ. They said take it back (need the bill tho, which I don't have) to the place of purchase and get a refund. He says these universal burners work with some BBQ's and not others. Guess mine is one of the others :rolleyes: .

The manufacturer replacement burner for my bbq model is only $37 so I think I'll just go get that (the universal was $45 :rolleyes: ).

Anyhoo, thanks everyone, I really appreciate the comments and suggestions and it was definately an oxygen problem, it just can't be adjusted with my model of BBQ.

Happy Grilling :thumbsup_anim:

Joey

Edited by Joey

Our BBQ was not working up to par and was dirty, so I cleaned it all up,

took the old element out and bought a new one ($45) and replaced it.

Now everything I cook gets all black and sooty and doesn't taste all that good.

I wrote to an internet BBQ expert site and they said that if my flame

was orange instead of blue the propane was not getting enough oxygen and to adjust the hoses.

We adjusted and readusted and nothing is making a difference. My next step is to trash the BBQ and

buy a new one.

So this is my last kick at the can before tossing the BBQ out.

Anyone have ANY ideas I can try before I do that.

Thanks in advance.

Joey

What color are the flames Joey?

Yup... what musky Matt said... if the burner is pushed up too far into the valves, the bbq is being starved of air flow and your just burning propane as opposed to oxygen and propane.

Try moving the burner away from the valves and the try adjusting the oxygen breathers to get a blue flame!

HH

Edited by Headhunter

Been there done that Joey!

You've prolly got spiderwebs in your vents. Look between the on off knob and the burner (follow the fuel line) you should see a small port on the route, clean/blow this out with compressed air and your grill should start working like new again.

The flame is orange Pete. And G, we already blew out the lines for spider webs.

Muskymatt and Joe, we tried the lines further down from the ports and the flames started coming out of the bottom of the BBQ? That doesn't seem right. I guess I could try again, but we've pretty much put them in every position from all the way up to just near the end, to no avail. Just don't know what to do now.

Joey

Edited by Joey

Joey, your definetely not getting enough oxygen to the flame and that's why it's burning orange rather than blue.

You probably just don't have the new burner positioned correctly, take it out and re-position it again and you should be cookin in no time.

Some times they can be a bit tricky to get in properly.

Sometimes they have a safety built into the regulator so that if too much gas gets thru it shuts it down to a low setting.Make sure you shut off the burners and then turn on the tank.Then open the burners up.Hope this helps.

Joe

Okay, these suggestions are good.

Joe, I noticed that compared to the old burner, this one makes the flames absolutely huge. They go far higher and burn way hotter than the last one. There is no way I could leave it on high now to burn off the old stuff left on the grill. When I turn on the gas from the tank, then turn on the burners after that onto high to light it, the flame really comes out of there and is way louder than before. You have to turn it down right away or its really, really hot. Does that give any more help with what might be wrong.

Maybe you're right Lew and I'll have to take it all apart and reposition the burner?

Thanks All.

Joey

Joanne, I think that either Lew or Joe (or both) have the answer.

There's another thing you might want to look at. Have you got a second tank? Try IT. Sometimes, if there's air in the tank, it won't feed properly...need to get in purged when you get it filled up.

Joey, I work close o Richmond Hill.... within 15 minutes on the 407... I also happen to be a BBQ master (no degree mind you) I would be more then happy to stop by and help out.

Gerritt.

Awesome Gerritt, whenever is easiest for you I live near Yonge and 16th Ave. I come home for lunch every day so if that's convenient let me know.

Roy, you may have something there. I bought the new tank when I got the new burner, so I didn't use this tank when the BBQ was working with the old burner when it worked properly. Hmmmmmmm.

And Clamp-it, a $98 BBQ with be just that, a $98 BBQ :whistling:

Joey

Guest lundboy
Okay, these suggestions are good.

Joe, I noticed that compared to the old burner, this one makes the flames absolutely huge. They go far higher and burn way hotter than the last one. There is no way I could leave it on high now to burn off the old stuff left on the grill. When I turn on the gas from the tank, then turn on the burners after that onto high to light it, the flame really comes out of there and is way louder than before. You have to turn it down right away or its really, really hot. Does that give any more help with what might be wrong.

Maybe you're right Lew and I'll have to take it all apart and reposition the burner?

Thanks All.

Joey

It is possible you picked up a replacement burner for a natural gas BBQ.

The hookup to the fuel source is irrelevant in this case because you have only replaced the burner with maybe a NG type.

Have a good look at the package for it if you still have it, it might say natural gas. If this is the case it won't work with propane.

Trying to pass propane through a NG burner will fly through because of bigger holes in the NG burner.

Edited by lundboy

If all else fails, buy a Weber. I've had mine 18 years (propane) and my Smokey Joe (Weber charcoal) for 20. Never had a issues with either.

Hope you do not need to go down that route.

Lundboy, that may be the case. I'll have to go look to see if I have the package. The holes do appear larger. I know where I bought it so I can go look at the package at the store if I didn't keep it. I'll report further.......

Thanks

Joey

Last year I had probs with my Q. I thought it was the burner that was plugged up. Cleaned everything really well. Bought a brush and brushed out the lines. But always had the same problem. It would burn really hot for about 15 mins and then slowly the flame would die off to nothing. I ended up buying a new regulator hose for $20 and havent had any problems since. Of course the doc put me on a vegetarian diet for 3 months so I haven't had any need for the Q lately :wallbash: