Some time on the banks

misfish

What a crazy fall we are having. Warm,cool,cold,warm. Not a fan of this. I was out one morning and it was 0 deg. Next day 14 deg. COME ON mother nature. River has yet to start to take on it,s fall color. Still a sandy look to it. Not my fav,but have done ok for the times I have got out. More swings and miss,s,but that is fishing.

I hooked into what would of been my personal best this past weekend. Float dropped,set and out it came. I was gob smacked. Holly molly. I was in awe. Had to be 30" plus and thick. I tried to hold it,but me nerves got the best of me. My rod could not of bent anymore. Silly me,try to turn and well,pull the hook.

Next drift,rain starts to come down. I am thinking the old saying as I watch the float drift away. Rain makes a bite. Sure enough,float drops,set and game on. Not a single jump,just bull dogging me. WTH. Salmon? After a good fight,finally get it close enough to see and it,s a nice fresh chrome. In the net and well,he went where I like them. In the smoker.

20231020_110220.jpg

20231021_131558.jpg

My oldest boy has been telling me I need to go with him,as he knows where the bites are. Hmmmmm,I am catching I say. LOL He likes to hit the out of the way spots. Ya,I did those a lot as well,but my knee is not the best for that. I gave in and we hooked up. Wind is howling from the north all the way during my drive. Thinking this might be a good morning with the waves crashing on shore. We meet up and start the trek.  Walking was not bad  til,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Carefull pop,if you slip,yer going down a steep hill. What am I doing???????? It was dark,but we both have great head lamps. Head down and watching my steps. I stop on the narrow path and shine my light on the drop off. All I was thinking was, yup,that will end my day.That was positive thinking. Once we were past the,death do us part section,it was a nice walk. Got to spot with like 2 hours til any daylight. Thankfully,I had my java and some tunes. Once fishable light arrived,it was nice to see a very nice drift. I fished the tail out,he fished that darn fast water. I could never get the hang of that,but he does very well in it.

20231022_063414.jpg

An hour pass,s and who gets the hook up? Ya,the ole man. Nice fish that was jumping around like a jack in the box. I love that. Son came down to help land .

20231022_104425.jpg

Wind never let up all morning. right in my face,rod swaying back and forth. by noon,I had enough. Was a great morning. Walking back all I was thinking ,stay to the right and do not look down.LOL We made it back safe and shared some smokey treats.

20231022_105834.jpg

I have to say,he has turned into one hell of a river rat. Hope I had some part in that. Were entered in a derby as a team next weekend. Not sure where were fishing,but I will follow. Think I have lead long enough. Time to pass on the leadership role.

20231022_105849.jpg

• Like 7

Great story Bye...I loves fish'n with my boys too (sons, grand sons, and great grand son...cripes I'm getting old eh?)

With this damn COPD I don't do the walking now so the grand son bought a pontoon boat so that I can get out on the lake again...He's a good lad...I tells his mother !

• Like 2

Good deal man, I had a heck of a time on a father son trip with my middle boy a while back!  Good to spend time afield with the kids.  Downside is he’s learning to outfish the old man!    Only a couple weeks until deer season with my oldest boy, can’t wait for that!

Edited by porkpie
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, porkpie said:

Good deal man, I had a heck of a time on a father son trip with my middle boy a while back!  Good to spend time afield with the kids.  Downside is he’s learning to outfish the old man!    Only a couple weeks until deer season with my oldest boy, can’t wait for that!

We teach them everything they know,not everything we know. LOL

• Like 1