It's that time of year...

CrowMan

The OMNR should just shut down Salmon fishing in the smaller tribs. It brings out the worst in people. I'll never forget a few years back on Bronte, some morons pulled a picnic table into the middle of the creek and sat on it as the old tired boots made their way up..one had a pitchfork and the other was using a kirpan (ceremonial sword from his home country).

There's just something about 20lb fish in 6 inches in water that turns people into idiots..

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 7:46 PM, SlipperyVic said:

Currently in Ketchican, Alaska. The salmon run up here makes GTA trips look absolutely barren by comparison. 

They wouldn't be able to set a picnic table down without the fish carrying it away. 

20190810_131336.jpg

Was in Ketchikan last year. It was amazing to watch the seals chase the salmon up the creeks...amazing place.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rockin-steelhead said:

Would you say the same thing about steelhead seeing they are not a native specie either ? 

Much as I don’t love boot fishing in creeks  at all, I tend to agree with this viewpoint.  Trolling big kings in the lake is an excellent time and one of my favourite sounds in the world is a wire diver shot with a 25 plus king at the end of it.  I’ll take the river full of muddy boots and all that comes with it.  That and I do love catching bows in the fall!    By rights none of those fish belong here, but they all have their time and place!  I take people into consideration when I see these things. Sometimes young guys get overwhelmed seeing big fish in small water.  Some people view it as an easy harvest of meat at all costs (you may not agree that they’re fit for food, but some cultures eat dogs and horses and that’s ok where they live). Where I look down my nose is guys with 1k fly rigs lining them in riffles and thinking they are fishing, or dudes who have 20 years in the game running custom outfits and clearing snagging them (time to grow up fellas).  Everyone else I cut a bit of slack.  Our views are sometimes born of too much available wealth and opportunity.  Some areas salmon snagging for residents harvesting meat is perfectly acceptable and legal.  Killing is killing, at the end of the day if the intent is harvest for meat then how it gets done doesn’t matter much to the fish… they’re dead!  Anyway in my life I’ve gone full circle on this over the years, from a 12 year old salmon snagger, to a steelhead snob and purist for many many years, and now I look at it with a bit wider lense, especially having spoken to numerous people of other cultures who do indeed consider creek salmon as good for dinner!

Edited by porkpie
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, John said:

Was in Ketchikan last year. It was amazing to watch the seals chase the salmon up the creeks...amazing place.

It certainly is a beautiful and amazing place.

That day there were 3 fat, lazy seals having the meal of a lifetime. I wouldn’t say there was a whole lot of chasing going on. More like the seals were just coasting downstream and biting at the Salmon as they passed. Lol. 

Quite a site.