Best day on the Thames so far!

mepps

Its blistering hot here in London today, but I decided to head down to the river hoping it was cooler near the water - it wasn't. I'm glad I headed down today though, the fishing was great. I saw fish in the shallows as soon as I got to the river. I had my trusty Mepps Aglia #4 tied on (the same one that caught a white bass and walleye last week) and started coving the faster moving water, working my way to the slower deeper water under the Queens Avenue bridge.

I was approaching my usual carp spot and decided to make a cast to the area I usually cover with corn. Within a few cranks of the reel something hit the lure hard. I knew it was not a bass, and it was most definitely not a walleye. Five seconds later, a nice big pike was flying through the air. Being the first river pike I have ever caught, I wasn't sure what type of fight to expect and I wasn't going to be disappointed. The fish thrashed and jumped several times thought the fight, a vast difference to the bull dogging cold water pike of Little Vermillion. I got her to shore as quickly as I could on my light gear, and quickly snapped a photo and got her back in the water.

thames-pike.jpg

After several more casts with no excitement, I decided it was time to catch some carp. I through a couple handfuls of corn in the water and baited my hook and casted it out about ten feet and sat back from the edge of the water. After about five minutes, I heard some heavy feet stomping down the opposite shore, and looked up to see a police officer heading down the water with a large German shepard. He looked a aroudn a while, and then called in my description over his walkie talkie. For a moment I thought I had done something wrong, but HQ radioed back that I wasn't the guy they were looking for. Just then my reel started to scream and a nice size carp was running up and down the current. By the time I got the fish in, the officer was gone, but I could hear several sirens in the background. I struggled to snap a photo with the fat little carp, but finally got a photo after about four attempts. She swam away stong, and I decided to pack it in for the day. As I headed back I ran into some more policemen who approached me and asked me a few questions. They then proceeded to put together an inflatable boat. I wanted to tell them they would be better off just walking though the water, since a boat wasn't going to make it very far (the water VERY shallow where they were planning to launch (the ducks and geese were standing in the area) Hopefully they were looking for a criminal and not a body...

fatcarp.jpg

Edited by mepps

That was just for you English ;)

I spent alot of time fishing the Thames last year, catching only smallmouth bass and rockbass. This yeah, despite puttign in less time, the river has yielded several new species!

Congrats Clive! That's a good Pike for that water! The Thames is really an amazing fishery, considering what it is and where it is... yah just never really know what yer gonna get!

And you've really only concentrated on one small section!

Keep up the good work!

HH

I used to fish up near the Oxford Bridge, and caught LOTS of rockbass and smallies - its only been since the water levels have dropped so much that I have tryed new areas. This particualr spot has been great each time. I also found traces that other carp fishermen have been int eh same spot!

Nice fish there Clive! Seems like not just the pike need to watch out when you're about! Its nice to be able to fish local rivers for new species. Wish there were a few places like that nearer T.O.. Thanks for sharing.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, amazing fish!!!! Have enjoyed reading your reports Mepps. Grew up in London, but wasn't aware there was anything other than carp, or sunfish in the Thames.

Glad i caught this post. Live in Hamilton but will be spending time in London over the summer. Want to fish the Thames. (i'm a newbie) Thing is though, reading this reminded me how good the location along the river is, should you want to hide from the law. Being a girl not sure if i would feel safe down there by myself, being so isolated, and close to downtown. What do you think?

How many other anglers are usually around down there during the day?? Different on weekends??

Also, bought two of your trusty Mepps Aglia #4 .Got the idea from you. Who knew it came in so many different colors though??? What color do you prefer?

Thanks.

Theres plenty of people near the river at all times, not many fishermen though. I woudl say its perfectly safe.

The pice was on chartruce with black spots, but the White/glow aglia and brown trout pattern have also caught me plenty of fish.

Mepps;

E-mailed a couple of your posts to my brother in London. He is an avid fisherman who doesn't believe me about the Thames. He travels long distances to go fishing.

Thought it might be nice for him to go down to the Thames some evenings after work.Your spot is close to where he lives, and i know the fish will be missing you!!

Thanks for your reply and Good Luck to you in Nova Scotia.