New World Record Musky ?

CrowMan

Not sure how the IGFA considers this 53"  fish a world record ? Yes, the measurement is to the fork of the tail, but there certainly have been larger fish...no ?

I'm not up on the latest goings on in the Musky world. There always seems to be some controversy when it come to records around this species...like the dispute over the famous (or perhaps infamous) Ken O'Brien Moon River fish...so maybe someone could enlighten me..

https://www.outdoornews.com/2023/05/02/st-lawrence-river-muskie-caught-by-new-york-angler-is-new-cr-world-record/

Edited by CrowMan

• CrowMan changed the title to New World Record Musky ?
1 hour ago, Cast-Away said:

Ken O'Brien's Muskie was caught and kept, where as this one was caught and released which is what is stated for the C&R World Record.

Yes...I'm well aware. I only mentioned it as there always seems to be controversy in the Musky world.  For example...apparently, the taxidermist that made the mount of the O'Brien fish for the ROM claims it was smaller than originally reported...

Just sayin' that there seems to be larger C&R fish out there than this latest claim...

Always something...

https://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=64983&start=181

Edited by CrowMan

For those who don't want to wade through all the Bull...here's the most pertinent statement...

The FACTS speak for themselves sir. It matters not whose name is or is not attached to communicating that. The facts have not and cannot be refuted. I spoke personally with the taxidermist who made the mold of the O'Brien fish at the ROM and he told me that the O'Brien fish was no longer than 54", if that long, his words. The mold speaks volumes and should be all that is necessary to remove the fish from record book based on what was obviously a falsified application to the OFAH.
Respectfully,
Doug Petrousek
DOUGLAS TAXIDERMY
ELBURN, IL
www.douglastaxidermy.com

Go fish.  
the world record has been screwed up really badly.  How does someone catch it and make it indisputable. 
I’ve fished the land of the giants and the plan was to take a picture and let it go.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, glen said:

Go fish.  
the world record has been screwed up really badly.  How does someone catch it and make it indisputable. 
I’ve fished the land of the giants and the plan was to take a picture and let it go.  

I'm with ya Glen. I rarely measure or weigh fish, and frankly often don't take photos either. I have no interest in participating in tournaments. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy watching/reading about pro tourneys, mainly to see what presentations everyone's using. It's just for me,  fishing is about relaxing and socializing, not competing. I do understand the thrill of competition...but I had enough of that in my business life.

It's just that this Musky record thing is so murky...that has me curious. There seems to be so much controversy over something that should be fairly black and white. You Google "Musky World Record" and you get over a dozen different answers...just wacky..

On 5/3/2023 at 3:30 PM, CrowMan said:

Not sure how the IGFA considers this 53"  fish a world record ? Yes, the measurement is to the fork of the tail, but there certainly have been larger fish...no ?

I'm not up on the latest goings on in the Musky world. There always seems to be some controversy when it come to records around this species...like the dispute over the famous (or perhaps infamous) Ken O'Brien Moon River fish...so maybe someone could enlighten me..

https://www.outdoornews.com/2023/05/02/st-lawrence-river-muskie-caught-by-new-york-angler-is-new-cr-world-record/

I am surprised that the record isn't longer too.  Aren't there places in Ontario with a 54" minimum limit?

Perhaps there have been longer ones caught that just weren't officially entered.