Oil furnace pricing ??.....NF

lew

I've always used gas furnaces so I'm not familiar with the pricing on oil furnaces , but I think this seems sorta excessive.

My mom has an old oil furnace & oil tank in her home and when she had a recent service done on it, the technician said it had seen better days and needed to be replaced, along with the tank.

She was with Ultramar for many years, but it looks like they were taken over by PetroCan who now supply her oil. She always had a plan with Ultramar that included servicing & cleaning the furnace a couple times a year, plus it covered free replacement of the furnace when required, but an installation charge would be payed by the homeowner. PetroCan honoured the plan and continues with the servicing.

Mom has decided to get a new furnace & oil tank, but when I called PetroCan on Friday they agree the furnace will be supplied free of charge according to the plan, but want $1600 for the installation.

I dunno, but $1600 seems like an awful lot of $$$$ to install a furnace :w00t:

I had a new gas furnace installed in my home 2 years ago and the entire job of removing the old furnace, re-jigging the ductwork and then installing the new furnace took less than 2 days.

They also say she needs a new oil tank, I'm guessing it's about 250 gallons, and they want $1500 for that. There's oil in the current tank that would need to be pumped out, stored and then put back in the new tank.

Whadda ya think, are they trying to rip off my dear old Mom or do these prices seem fair ??

Does anybody have a recommendation for any other furnace dealers in Toronto that I could compare prices with ??

She doesn't mind paying a fair price, but I can't help feeling that this may be a scam.

Any thoughts ??

.....Seems a little steep to me Lew. I had an oil furnace and tank replaced in my previous home (some 12 years ago) for $3000. I was told that the cost of the new furnace was a little higher than normal due to the fact it was a horizontal type furnace which was installed under the house in a crawl space (no basement). The price included the pump out and transfer of the oil in the old tank. I wanted to switch to gas at the time but the cost was quoted at $6000, hence I stayed with oil and the $3000 was added to my monthly budget plan and paid off over 5 years.

I might add I had no replacement plan for the old furnace and the cost quoted was for the purchase and instalation.

Hey Lew, I just got an e-mal from my friend who had hers replaced last year...tank that is...she said it was about 1000.00 for take and installation...that's in the Barrie area.

hope this helps

Maureen

We had our's replaced by Ultramar 9 or 10 years ago. I don't remember exact amounts, but it was expensive.

You have to take into account that it's a big job that will require probably at least 4 installers. Then, you need another guy and truck to pump the remaining oil out of the tank, and to refill it when installation is complete. Multiply that by a full day's work = alot of money. Maybe not $1600 but I'm not so sure it's far off course.

Spiel & Mo, thanks for your responses.

Well, I've been on the phone all morning talking to different furnace installers and every single one of them said my mom was getting an excellent deal and to go with it.

The installation price seemed very high to me but it sounds like it's a pretty fair deal afterall, so I guess we'll go for it.

Tanks folks ;)

I work for a petrocanada marketer and can tell you thats too much. Call donpark in newmarket and they might be able to give you a better price on the tank and if your interested in a install let me know and I will give one of the guys from petro partners a call and probally get you a better price for the install. And by the way is the tank in the house or outside because that will make a difference in price.

Cheers Jeff

Hi I am a UK heating engineer but on the gas side, there is a website in England that you can ask all sorts of questions. Seems silly to ask on an English web site but there is a regular on there from the US, boilerman I think his name is he may be able to point you in the right direction.

Hope the link helps, they sometimes get a bit stroppy if they think you intend to do the work yourself. Just let them know you are a domestic customer just requiring advice and are going to get contractors in to do the job.

http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php...049830718b5d1df

Let us know if you get a result.

Lew I redid mine in 2004. The new tank cost me $1000 to install and I had already removed the old one. The furnace and chimney liner together were about $2500.

I tried calling Don Park for a tank as mentioned above but they wouldnt sell to me because I wasnt a contractor.

The thing with the tank is it now has a double liner.All oil tanks are to be replaced and yes it is costly. If you are caught with an old tank the fines are very hefty. A buddy of mine had his in the ground at his house.He had to have the tank dug up and the soil sampled before he could upgrade to the new tank. What they charge to take away the old one may seem steep,but they have to drain,clean and cut in half the tank for disposal Lew.It,s the same as what we went through for the onsite desil tank we had replaced at the factory. New laws say you must have a containment shell.

Thats all I know about that.