A slow day on the river (report)

danc

Sis and I managed to get out on the Nipigon River for a few hours yesterday. I would have bet my life that we'd catch a few Steelhead, but it was not to be. A Lake Trout each was all that we could come up with.

It was a pleasant day to be out there. Mostly sunny and cool enough to be comfortable in a sweatshirt. As usual, we had this particular section of the river to ourselves. I just love being on this river. It's crystal clear waters almost hypnotize me.

Nipcan6.jpg

If you noticed my GPS in the above photo, it's something new this year. I've been having a lot of fun with it. I don't know how I managed without one before.

Nipcan7.jpg

I also purchased a Ram suction cup mount for it. The build quality is excellent. I can easily move it from my boat to my truck and it stays put. Highly recommended.

Nipcan8.jpg

We saw lots of Hooded Mergansers on the river, which is nothing new. A Golden Eagle also graced us with its presence, but we weren't quick enough with the cameras for a decent shot of it. Those things are absolutely huge. Here's a few Merganser shots.

Nipcan10.jpg

Nipcan4.jpg

Nipcan5.jpg

There's one place on the river where I always like to get out and stretch my legs for a while. It's called Parmachene Rapids. More than few trophy Brook Trout have been caught within eyesight of this train bridge over the years.

Nipcan13.jpg

I can sit and stare into the clear water all day long. It's very common to see the Trout and Salmon in the current here, but there were none to be seen on this day.

Nipcan11.jpg

I always take a few casts from shore while I'm here. I've caught my share of fish at Parmachene. On my third cast I had a decent fish on. As usual, I got pretty excited. I yelled at Sis to get the net from the boat.

Nipcan2.jpg

If this was a Brook Trout that I had on, it would have been a trophy. If it was Steelhead, it would have been a nice one. But alas, it was the rivers most undesirable species, a Lake Trout.

Nipcan1.jpg

Nipcan3.jpg

Later in the day, Sis caught her fish. Another Laker. She didn't want me to post this photo, but.... too late.

Nipcan12.jpg

So, Happy Canada day to everyone from Sis and I. Enjoy your day and most of all, be safe..

Great Report DanC,

That is Beautiful, Beautiful country.

Nice G.P.S., and don't worry, your Sis' will get over it.

Looked like a nice relaxing day.

Happy Canada Day to you as well.

Hookset.

Edited by Hookset

Nice pics Dan, thanks for sharing .. and dont worry your spot at babaganouche is safe with me :)

BTW I know what yo mean about the GPS ... I pay more attention to it than my sonar most days...oh ... and nice pose there sis :)