Jump to content

John Bacon

Under to Overslung Axle

Recommended Posts

I'm planning to order a new axle for my trailer.

My current axle is under slung (axle on top of spring).  I am contemplating switching to over slung to gain a couple more inches of clearance.

Would there be any negative effects to making the switch?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yow will likely need a different ball mount; so that the trailer frame rails will be level when hooked to the tow vehicle. The optimum tongue height is 17 - 19" (Level trailer) measured from the ground to the inside top of the ball coupler. An axle flip will give you more frame clearance; but not axle clearance. Axle clearance is determined by wheel & tire size. Like what was said above, you will loose some stability. Going down a smooth hwy, you'll likely not feel any difference in the handling. There's only vertical down pressure on the springs. It's when one wheel goes over a bump or dip in the road; is where you'll feel it. Because of the horizontal side load on the spring. It will force the spring to twist; when the load is gone the spring will return to its normal position causing the trailer to sway. Rule of thumb is to have the center of the axle to be as close as possible to the center of the spring's mounting eyelets. The diagram explains this better.

Springs.png.60ec329d337b9ff2a38b717d30745cda.png

Seems like a lot of extra effort, just to gain 3-4" of frame clearance and possibly loose some stability?

Dan.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, I'm replacing the axle due to the bearing issues anyway.  So, there really isn't much effort involved.  But thanks for the technical input.  I am towing with a fairly low vehicle; so it sounds like I would be better off stay with an under slung axle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recall when I went from a van to a pickup I needed height to level the trailer, there was about three sets of holes for the bolts at the ends of the springs to make an adjustment if you want a bit more clearance. It was an Easy Loader trailer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DanD said:

There's only vertical down pressure on the springs. It's when one wheel goes over a bump or dip in the road; is where you'll feel it. Because of the horizontal side load on the spring. It will force the spring to twist; when the load is gone the spring will return to its normal position causing the trailer to sway. Rule of thumb is to have the center of the axle to be as close as possible to the center of the spring's mounting eyelets. The diagram explains this better.

Springs.png.60ec329d337b9ff2a38b717d30745cda.png

Seems like a lot of extra effort, just to gain 3-4" of frame clearance and possibly loose some stability?

Dan.

 

Nice info to be aware of.   Damm thumbs have more rules than...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be aware not all new axles come with the spring seats welded in place...you will have to measure them out the  same distance as the old ones and weld them in place yourself.?...just an FYI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Whitespinnerbait said:

Be aware not all new axles come with the spring seats welded in place...you will have to measure them out the  same distance as the old ones and weld them in place yourself.?...just an FYI

I ran into this problem with my new axle. Went to a trailer place and they re positioned the spring seats for $ 100. easy fix and the new axle fit perfect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should have went to eastons. They have them custom made to fit, with the mounts installed, and EZ lube hubs for cheaper than the crap princess auto axles with no mounts, and standard bearing sets. 

S. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sinker said:

You should have went to eastons. They have them custom made to fit, with the mounts installed, and EZ lube hubs for cheaper than the crap princess auto axles with no mounts, and standard bearing sets. 

S. 

I ordered from Cerka.  I reached out to Eastons; but they didn't bother getting back to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, John Bacon said:

I ordered from Cerka.  I reached out to Eastons; but they didn't bother getting back to me.

Did you call? These are real people, who work all day, Id bet they rarely get on their email or website, but if you called they would hook you up. 

Cerka is good too. My neighbor has a cerka trailer that i love. 

S. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worrying about weld on spring perches is a non issue. Assemble the spring pack, perches, mounts and U bolts. Adjust axle position and tighten it all down. If the trailer tracks properly; stop at most any garage that has a welder. Have them weld the spring perches to the axle. For a road test with things just bolted together, will be fine. Have it welded for longevity sake  

Dan

Sorry forget to add that your road test could take you to London? I’d be more then happy to weld it up for you. 

Edited by DanD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2019 at 7:11 AM, DanD said:

Worrying about weld on spring perches is a non issue. Assemble the spring pack, perches, mounts and U bolts. Adjust axle position and tighten it all down. If the trailer tracks properly; stop at most any garage that has a welder. Have them weld the spring perches to the axle. For a road test with things just bolted together, will be fine. Have it welded for longevity sake  

Dan

Sorry forget to add that your road test could take you to London? I’d be more then happy to weld it up for you. 

Thanks for the offer.  I don't think it will be required though.  They make the axles to order; and they request the centre to centre spring measurement.  So, I am expecting it to have the perches already welded in the correct location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Similar Topics

    • Bearings & Axle sizes

      Are axle sizes pretty standard for trailers?  Last month I had to replace the bearings on one wheel.  I purchased bearings from Princess Auto that were supposed to be for axles up to 1.06" in diameter.  I was able to get the bearings on to my axle; but it took a lot of force.  When I see other people changing bearings, they just slide them on without any significant resistance. I measured my axle with a micrometer; and it showed a diameter of 1.0668".  The micrometer came with a supposedly

      in General Discussion

    • 18 ft or under camper

      View Advert 18 ft or under camper Looking for a cheep fixer upper. In or around the couple hundred dollar range. Really not looking at a tent trailer. Preferably hard sides.     Advertiser tender52 Date 05/14/2019 Price Category Miscellaneous Classifieds

      in Miscellaneous

    • Town of Temagami under evacuation alert.

      TEMAGAMI FIRE CHIEF JIM SANDERSON HAS JUST SENT THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE... MNR fire has notified me that they are putting Temagami on Evacuation Alert. People should be prepared to leave if notified of an evacuation. If people want to leave on their own they need to go North as per MNR direction The emergency community group is being activated and meeting shortly Thanks Jim

      in General Discussion

    • A young women lives after 27 minutes under water in a ditch beside the 401

      A great series concerning a young woman that was trapped in her car underwater for more than 27 minutes in a icy culvert when an ice storm sent her spinning off the 401 outside London. It was last winter and the article is from The London Free Press. The heroics off our brave first responders, in this case a few special OPP officers and a citizen outside London. It is a must read all. It explains what a person goes through when submerged in icy waters and that miracles happen. I don't see the au

      in General Discussion

    • Under armour base layer

      Hey gang   Looking at getting under armour base layer   Can't decide between 2.0-3.0-4.0   Also im 6'4" about 300 pounds... anyone close to my size own this product to help me with sizing?   Any feedback on this product would be appreciated   Thanks

      in General Discussion

×
×
  • Create New...