Renting Huts on SImcoe

jimmer

Well, I think I have rented my last hut on Simcoe.  This is not a complaint about the operator; they have great huts, transportation and speedy service to and from the huts. Three of us were out for the whole day yesterday and managed to bring home 4 perch that just made the cut. Might have caught another 10 dinks. I kept the perch for dinner and my wife enjoyed the $180 perch dinner. LOL. The only reason we rent is because of the lack of walking access to good perch grounds. I have all the gear, but just have to do some exploring I guess to find walking distance spots. It's just so much better to have the luxury of packing up and moving if there are no fish under us. The best part of the day was spending it with two good buddies and having a few laughs.

It can be hit and miss at the best of times.  First time I went out it was great, the following 2 times I couldn't buy a fish.  Now I'm back to doing my own thing.  I'll wait for the hoards to make some trails in the deep snow and pack it down this weekend and then I'll go during the week.

Cooks Bay for perch! Was out last Friday and had non-stop action from 7:00 until we left at 3:00.

Yes, it was a dink fest, but I did manage to get enough for a feed. Largest was 12 inches.

Find 30ft of water, start there and go deeper.

HH

PS... @misfish would be proud, no live bait used. Actually, buddy used minnows and I was outfishing him 5:1.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Headhunter said:

Plenty of people parking on the ice at the launch in Keswick. 20 minute walk and yer fishin. Just pick your days, no hut needed.

HH

~~Bad knees stops me from walking great distance. back in the 50s when I was yes I once was young we walk off Mintes about 3oo yds and phish for Perch and Herring

36 minutes ago, oldphart said:

~~Bad knees stops me from walking great distance. back in the 50s when I was yes I once was young we walk off Mintes about 3oo yds and phish for Perch and Herring

Yes, those were the days before internet, poke a hole there and catch perch, herring and whities.  you can't even find an errant bear fart without someone scooping it up.

• Like 1

Cooks bay is usually a guarantee.  That said, my last 2 trips to Simcoe on some of our confidence waters that usually produce big perch in good numbers, we took a butt kicking.  We moved many times,  drilled many holes, and watched fish on camera just sit and stare at our baits no matter what we dropped.  It was a humbling couple of trips to be sure.  However, I’ve had so many great trips on Simcoe that I’m taking it in stride.  Some times you just get beat, or have a bad run!

Edited by porkpie
  • Like 1

Was out on Cooks yesterday from 6:30to noon. Bite was much slower than the previous week. Tried many different presentations, but it seemed they wanted meat.

Usual stuff wasn't working to my liking, so I took the dive into the dark side and started using perch eyes on my jig. That got them going more consistently, but still not like it was the week before.

Next week should have them biting better with the warm weather being forecast.

HH

• Like 1