wedding+honeymoon=cancun fishing

oxcowboy

hi folks,

got back from our honeymoon in cancun, got to do a little fishing and alot of relaxing. we had a great time, sorry we missed the g2g, but might make a good aniversary present for next year. any ways this is how it went down.

we got married on june 9th over looking the ohio river. it was a good time, the wedding was outside and the weather cooperated great. IMG005.jpg

had a great reception with a hog roast, kegs and some homemade shine. :stretcher: our flight didnt leave untill monday so we had a day to relax and put stuff up from the wedding.

the flight down was uneventful, which is always good when flying. we arrived in cancun around 6pm went to the hotel and got some food, and then took an evening walk had a few drinks and crashed for the evening.

steph on the beach our first night

1001032.jpg

The next morning we met with our travel man and lined out our activities for the week. we decided to go horseback riding, bar hopping, take the caribean carnival to isla mujerlas and best of all deep sea fishing. the horseback riding was fun, steph had never rode a horse before, so she was a little nervous to say the least, but the guides were great and gave her a gentle horse to ride. we rode down a long trail and then made it to the beach, where we got to ride out into the ocean which was very neat.

the first evening i spotted a nice reef about a mile from the hotel, i knew i had to fish it at some point during the week. steph decided to get a massage on wed, which i think was her way of saying "go ahead i know you want to go" so i loaded up the bag, tackle pack,rod,camera and corona and was on my way. it was about a mile walk and my excitement grew with every step. i finally reached the reef, waded out and started to set up. got the tackle out, cracked a corona open, got the 4 piece out put it together and then realized i had left my reel in the suitcase back at the hotel :wallbash: after a few choice words i was left with the dilemma of walking back a fishing failure and explaining my stupidity to my new bride, but my primal instincts took over and i bare handed this wall hanger out of the water.

FH000086-1.jpg

i also met up with this big ol fella that was living on the reef, he was huge! he would go atleast 4 feet.

1001076.jpg

the next day was our deep sea trip, woke up early with excitement and jumped on the bus to the marina. we checked in and met with our mate, there were 4 of us fishing out of our boat that day. it was the two of us and a fella from virginia and a guy from texas. being the only lady steph was up to bat first. it wasnt long after we reached the fishing ground that tomas' yells out fish on. then all hell breaks loose, steph is rushed in the chair, not sure of what to do, nervous as can be. she gets the rod fixed in the chair and the fight was on.

1001107_124-1.jpg

she did real well bringing this big dude in.

1001128_143-1.jpg

after they got it gaffed and into the boat it was thrashing around and stephs eyes were as big as softballs, half terrified and half pure excitement she watched as the mates got her "crazy fish" subdued.

1001119_134-1.jpg

Then a while later we had a double header, the other 2 gentlemen got their turn, which ended up good for me they both caught bonitas.

1001122.jpg

the next fish was mine, it ended up be a decent mahi mahi but no where near the size of stephs, which she still reminds me daily! steph also got another one that they called a rough Jack which i guess is a trash fish since they through it back quickly.

1001131.jpg

all in all we had a great day on the water, for the boat we landed 4 mahi mahi,2 bonita and 1 rough jack. the mates said it was a slow day, but we were very satisfied and both of us are looking forward to doing it again.

three of the mahi's, yeah mine is the small one on top and stephs is the big one on the bottom

1001138_153-1.jpg

steph and me holding her fish

1001145_160-1.jpg

i also did a little fishing from the beach one night using calamari. i ended up catching 6 small fish, the biggest was a rouge fish that weighed about 4 or 5 lbs. nothing huge, but made for some conversation on the beach.

1001092_113-1.jpg

the first one was the biggest and the little guy mopping the pool area seen that i had one on and came running to see what it was. he spoke very little english and i speak very little spanish but i could tell that he wanted to keep it, so i gave it to him, and he was really happy which made me feel good, he worked about 12 hour days everyday and im sure he wasnt getting paid much.

. it also had some real nice teeth to it as well

1001091_112-1.jpg

we had a real good time in our 7 nights, but we were ready to get home, both of us were missing our boys. thanks for taking the time to read, i know i was a little long winded, but i dont plan on ever having another honeymoon report :)

the last evening in cancun

1001213_212-1.jpg

thanks all,

jason

Congrats on the very enjoyable time in the south, the fish, and the wedding.

Getting home after a wonderful vacation like that is always the best part... you sure did plan it perfectly...

Cheers,

Jen