Jump to content

Gerritt

Big Gull lake?

Recommended Posts

Hey folks,

Renting a cottage on big gull this summer and had a question.. 

 

I know it has walleye in it and the usual players, but does it have a sizable musky population? The GF's father is wanting to target them.

 

We will be staying close to the town of Arden at Hyatts resort (former co-worker owns the place) 

 

Any tips or tactics for fishing this body of water are appreciated!

 

G.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey you old buzzard where you been hidein.... Have not been there in years Gerritt and l believe if you use ontario.ca/fishonline it will answer your question....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fish it a few times a year. Never seen or heard of musky being caught. Heard some old wives tales that there may have been the odd one back in the day, but im not so sure. 

 

Great walleye, a few pike, and probably lots of bass if you fished for them. 

 

S. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have stayed at Kirk's Kove many times but not recently......I always did GREAT on walleyes and pretty good on pike......don't fish bass but  noticed they were a pain at times and all small back then.

There are many fishermen that return there year after year but I never heard or seen one of them come in with a musky.

The newer owners is why we left. They really didn't like fishermen, especially when you kept some fish plus the price kept rising with no improvements to our cottage whatsoever. Now since there butterfly and arts and crafts program crashed and burned they are once again I see catering to fishermen.....HUH

The old couple that we first starting go there were GREAT........if they still owned it we would still be going there because the walleye fishing was very good without flying in.

Bottom line go to Kirk's Kove website and look at pics and "maybe" you can contact some of the regulars that keep going there.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys for the info.. I'll be sure to post a report after the trip... Probably see a few more reports as well from my home lake..

 

Tight lines,

 

G.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heading up for yearly boys trip on the 24th, BASS not in season so Pike and Wally hunting only.

Been going for years and have great success but no musky or even rumors...

Pulled out some decent sized fish for sure and the last few years have seen a big hike in baby pike so expecting their numbers to increase.

Spend a day trolling on Lake St. Clair to take care of your musky itch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We fished the lake from the early 60s till 2006,in all that time I've heard of a few caught. I caught a small one as did a buddy. Used to catch decent pike 6lb or so on a regular basis,and bass 3-4 lbs. In the 60s the pike were bigger double digits on some. We always stayed at Bayview and in the later years Hiyats. I really like that lake and know it well.would love to go back but the fishing really went down hill in the mid to late 90s. The walleye was decent but nothing over 5 or 6 lbs for us. Lots of eaters, we always went in June and found most our walleye in the weeds in 10 to 12 ft. Of water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Gerritt there is Musky in there, not many, caught a few myself. That's our annual trip every year, we stay at Kirk Kove Cottages.

There is a few pictures of our gang on their site. Few of the guys are not with us anymore. We do well on the Walleye and have a few fish frys.

Musky that I have caught are accidental catch, I don't want the stinking things, sooner catch a Sheep Head or a Carp, better fight. 

You catch them on light line on a jig and worm stink up your boat and hands, can't imagine someone eating them.

Hard to bring them back after fighting them on light line. Since the've been in the lake Walleye numbers have dropped. 

One thing we like the lake is because its 80 % crown land not many cottages.

Jim and Claire have done a lot of work there bringing the cottages up to snuff. We rent the double duplex 10 guys this year in a few weeks.

After June the lake has to much activity for the Walleye guys, more the vacationers, Bass and Pike guys.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Fish Farmer said:

Yes Gerritt there is Musky in there, not many, caught a few myself. That's our annual trip every year, we stay at Kirk Kove Cottages.

There is a few pictures of our gang on their site. Few of the guys are not with us anymore. We do well on the Walleye and have a few fish frys.

Musky that I have caught are accidental catch, I don't want the stinking things, sooner catch a Sheep Head or a Carp, better fight. 

You catch them on light line on a jig and worm stink up your boat and hands, can't imagine someone eating them.

Hard to bring them back after fighting them on light line. Since the've been in the lake Walleye numbers have dropped. 

One thing we like the lake is because its 80 % crown land not many cottages.

Jim and Claire have done a lot of work there bringing the cottages up to snuff. We rent the double duplex 10 guys this year in a few weeks.

After June the lake has to much activity for the Walleye guys, more the vacationers, Bass and Pike guys.    

Really? 

 

When was the last time you caught one in there? I have heard lots of rumours, but never ever seen one, or know of anyone who actually caught one. I fish it for walleye, great spot, get the odd pike and some smallies too, but never musky. Maybe I should try targeting them in there.....lots of fallfish for bait for them. You would think there would be a few real big ones in there.  My friends family has a place on the east end, been there over 30yrs, never seen or heard of anyone catching a musky. 

 

S. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A fellow that always fished with our gang swore one evening he was out by him self off chimney island one evening and hooked a musky as long as the old metal boats they used to rent at bayview cabins. He never landed it but swore it was true. That was in the 60s Hey Gerrit ask them at Hyyatts about the guy that lost his pole in the narrows in 30 ft. Of water in 1993 and snagged it jigging in 2000.That was me.😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/05/2018 at 11:39 PM, mudbutt said:

A fellow that always fished with our gang swore one evening he was out by him self off chimney island one evening and hooked a musky as long as the old metal boats they used to rent at bayview cabins. He never landed it but swore it was true. That was in the 60s Hey Gerrit ask them at Hyyatts about the guy that lost his pole in the narrows in 30 ft. Of water in 1993 and snagged it jigging in 2000.That was me.😃

 

 

Ill be sure to do that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2018 at 3:26 PM, Sinker said:

Really? 

 

When was the last time you caught one in there? I have heard lots of rumours, but never ever seen one, or know of anyone who actually caught one. I fish it for walleye, great spot, get the odd pike and some smallies too, but never musky. Maybe I should try targeting them in there.....lots of fallfish for bait for them. You would think there would be a few real big ones in there.  My friends family has a place on the east end, been there over 30yrs, never seen or heard of anyone catching a musky. 

 

S. 

That cuz Dave is  older and wiser and a better  newf fisherman then you. LMAO :P :lol:

Have a good time G

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overall very poor weekend.

Finished with around 6 wally and ONLY 1 pike over the weekend.

Our usual ratio is 4 pike 1 Wally...

We put in a ton of hours and caught maybe 10 small pike to toss back.

Caught 2 nice 2-3 lbs OOS bass returned safely...

2nd year in a row with low pike numbers compared with years past.

Years past we would bring in a stringer of solid pike but none to be seen now.

The lake doesn't seem to see high pressure so don't think we fished it out considering the "veterans" usually stick to the Walleye.

This video shows are basic hunting grounds: (Not my video)

 

Edited by Raycaster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2019 at 12:02 AM, Adominey said:

20lb 48" muskie from big gull 2009imageproxy.php?img=&key=8dc2e896cb6eacfbimageproxy.php?img=&key=8dc2e896cb6eacfbimageproxy.php?img=&key=8dc2e896cb6eacfb

1929573_1237785344142_3799402_n.jpg

And a tiger to boot. Nice one!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Similar Topics

    • Lake Erie news

      https://www.cleveland.com/sports/2019/09/lake-erie-walleye-fishing-golden-era-officially-returns-with-record-catches-big-hatches.html?fbclid=IwAR3P1mOqmGyrKxIxkVGxqzzIuMM0PBf9VtSpsCG2vLfcQwBE8Tqyyzo2O24 https://www.cleveland.com/sports/2019/09/lake-erie-smallmouth-bass-biting-around-where-else-the-bass-islands-fishing-report-for-sept-13.html?fbclid=IwAR0Lgi7XAEMk-MYglH7LlDhAnkcMc3ZeuVJVrWMfQHkITI0NPaac-Z0jqcw Pelee Island on the north side was always known as a smallie destination too,

      in General Discussion

    • Workin' Down @ The Lake

      I'm currently on week 2 of my extended summer vacation and have been hard on getting some cabin building done. First thing needed was a dry, shady and bug free zone to chillax in when the working was done.   Threw up this temporary shack in a weekend.   Now onto the cabin building segment. Took a lot longer than expected to layout the foundation. Drilled 1/4" holes in the granite to drop my nails into to run my string lines.   Then it was time to dri

      in General Discussion

    • waiting for the big blow

      Morning boyz, me & the Mrs. are currently touring the East Coast and having a great time. Just spent 3 days in Bar Harbor Maine and are now in St. Andrews New Brunswick on the shore of  Bay of Fundy waiting for what's left of Hurricane Dorian to hit later today. Sposed to get very windy with up to 4 inches of rain so it"ll be interesting for sure.  Halifax isn't too far away as the crow flies an they're gonna get the brunt of it with winds around 70 - 80 mph and heavy rain. We'll be hea

      in General Discussion

    • lake huron fish to buy ?

      hello-- anybody know where i can buy SMOKED CHUB on the canadian side of lake huron ??? 

      in General Discussion

    • Fishing shirts and a big net

      View Advert Fishing shirts and a big net   Four fishing shirts - all worn once on a trip and now just taking up space. They're Bass Pros Worldwide Sportsman brand, three in size Large and teh blue one bottom right is a Medium but fits the same as the others. I'm a large in "street" clothes and they fit me nicely so they're true to size $10 each or take them all for $30 These are the closest i can find to them on the Bass pro site https://www.bassp

      in Fishing Tackle and Equipment

×
×
  • Create New...