Info On Dead Carp?

Zamboni

Guest lundboy
Curious about cause of dead carp in Scugog, friend says its spreading into Sturgeon lake now. Is there any info available yet?

I came across two 8 to 10 pound dead carp floating in Cook's Bay on Saturday. Not sure if it's related. I've never seen dead carp floating in Cook's Bay in 12 years.

Saw lots of dead ones on sturgeon ove the weekend. I had a feeling it would only be a matter of time.

My dad also saw a couple half dead muskies in our marina.....not good at all.

I've heard that it affects the brain of large fish.....but this is just hearsay, so take it for what its worth.

I'm sure it will be already too late to do anything, by the time the MNR has figured out what it is.....

Sinker

Here's a recent news story...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...PStory/National

THey are speculating that its HSV. I was talking to a fellow angler today and he said that it tends to hit coarse fish first...and then gradually hits other species. Hope it's NOT that, or it could be devastating to the Kawarthas!

I live on Sturgeon lake and I just came back up from the dock. There is something strange going on here too, the weeds are much thicker than I have ever seen them in the six years I have been here. We only have 70' of shore line but there are three huge (easily over 20 lbs each) dead carp floating. I have also noticed a big decline in the fishing this year. I'm not sure if it is related or not but there is something not right.

What I'd really like to know is; why is it taking so long to get the test results back? This is SERIOUS. Do they even know FOR SURE if it can affect humans or not? There are a lot of people that draw their drinking water from these lakes. If this is a virus could it have any long term health affects? If it can spread to other fish species, could ingesting any of the fish cause problems? There are a lot of questions that need to be answered now, not in three weeks!

Its too bad,and its a wonder that with all that runoff & farm pesticides that the fish are even safe to eat,.. :o ..the guide to eating sportfish in ontario gives the lake a really good rating for eating fish,so it makes ya wonder right????? :huh: well if seems like it is [hsv] and it will now move to sturgeon lake and so on,and on, so we will now have to wait and see.....now its just another reason for not ever liking that weed infested swamp that they call scugog...... :dunno::glare:

Thats it folks blame the farmers and lake Scugog for the problems, not the IDIOTS that brought baitfish from lakes already infested with VHS. ON the bright side the lakes that had it before seem to have rebounded just fine, as im sure the new lakes will do as well. After all NATURE HAS A WAY OF WORKING THINGS OUT, lets just hope that we as all knowing humans stay out of the way and let it heal itself.

Guest skeeter99

I have lived up there and family has been there since the early sixties

I would not put to much into the overabundance of weeds this year, the weed growth is directly related the amount of ice cover and snow is on the lake, think this last winter I did not get on the lake by foot until jan17th and usually and most of my life up there it is frozen over (not safe) at leat by the first week in december, in one year I believe 98 or 99 we were snomobiling on the lake nov 21 with 6 inches of ice.

think of last year the weeds were not bad in scugog were they? lots of snow on ice that winter

and even the year before 2005 hardly any weed at all in the lake, all the walleye fisherman were having a tough time cause of the lack of wweeds in know areas even the bass fisherman like myself did not have pad beds come up were they normally do, that previous winter I can remeber 23 to 27 inches of ice on the lake and snow cover most of the winter and the lake was frozen to the bottom in the back days and much of the shoreline for a good 200 to 300 yards

think back to the mid late eighties (I can really remember this) the weeds were worse than they are now by a long shot

even some of the other lakes i have been to this year have weed growth accelerated because of the light winter

Edited by skeeter99

Great insight Skeeter, on the same note rice lake is just as choked with weeds a scugog. Also im I the only one that thinks maybe the reason the MNR lifted the ban so fast this year on bait fish was because may be they already knew it was to late to stop the spead of VHS into the Kawarthas

Guest lundboy
Thats it folks blame the farmers and lake Scugog for the problems, not the IDIOTS that brought baitfish from lakes already infested with VHS. ON the bright side the lakes that had it before seem to have rebounded just fine, as im sure the new lakes will do as well. After all NATURE HAS A WAY OF WORKING THINGS OUT, lets just hope that we as all knowing humans stay out of the way and let it heal itself.

On that note, here are some words from George Carlin about the earth healing itself and the the human "infestation":

http://www.habitablezone.com/flame/messages/420992.html

I'd say he makes as much sense as most of the numerous politically motivated rants (ESPECIALLY AL GORE'S) I've heard & read? But after hearing his 'SEVEN WORDS' rant back in the '70's it's kinda hard to take him REAL seriously! I haven't seen or heard anything of him in years . . . wonder what he's up to these days?