Good old boat

captpierre

So I used to own a Monark aluminum riveted boat that I bought used. 16 ft, walk through windshield. Fishn Ski. 60hp 2str Merc. Nice boat but started to leak at more and more rivets over a few years.

Eventually couldnt keep it in the water overnight even though I fiddled with trying to seal the leaky rivets with various goops.

Started my search for a new aluminum boat.

Big question. Riveted or welded.

After my experience with the Monark I was pretty nervous to go riveted again. But some welded boats crack, Im told. When was the last time you saw a welded plane.

Saw a CO in a Crestliner(welded) on Nipissing. He had nothing but good to say about it.

Anyway, I went with a Lund Tyee 1750.

With fear and trepidation. It wasnt cheap.

Have had this boat and Yammy 115 for 11 full seasons now. Just finished winterizing it.

Pulled the drain plug on a fairly steep upward angle.

Not a drop of water. Im careful with her in rough water but shes seen many tough days on Lake O and Simcoe.

So far Im happy with her. The only problem I see is there is aluminum corrosion around chromed cleats and footsteps from contact with dissimilar metals Im assuming.

I put about 100-200 hrs in her per year.

Yammy has been great too.

Will take her somewhere in the spring for timing belt and impeller.

Also a plug for the Deka starting battery. Still the original.

Hope I dont sound too much like an infomercial.

Greatful to have a solid, problem free ride.

Thought you might like to know if youre in the market some day.

Cheers

Peter

You'll have it for another 11 trouble free years. I sold a 99 Lund this spring that I bought off a guy here a couple of years ago. Didn't leak a drop, and the 50 Honda on it purred like a kitten. I love my new boat, and I needed the size for my family but I kinda miss that little Lund.

It doesn't really matter whether a boat is welded or riveted, what matters is the quality of the construction.

Not slamming Monark boats, since they were okay for what they were. But let's just say they were designed and built with the first priority being ... to meet a certain price point. Any time you do that, there will be compromises.

Guys say that welded boats crack. Not the good ones. The Coast Guard search and rescue boats are all welded, and have been for decades. They go out into really nasty stuff all the time, and never have a problem.

Every jet in the sky is riveted. Flight at 40,000 feet puts them under unimaginable stress. But again, never even heard of a problem with rivets popping.

Welded or riveted doesn't matter as long as you buy quality. No one ever regrets buying high-end product that's built to last. But plenty of people regret buying low-end stuff that was simply built to be inexpensive.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

It is more than quality of construction, it all depends on what conditions you run your boat in. I fish Erie, big water and sometimes big chop. My 23 year old StarCraft that has lived in Erie it's lifetime is riveted and is dry as a bone. We rebuilt a 19' StarCraft 2 winters ago, replaced over 350 rivets. The guy runs that boat hard and runs in a circle with his 150 Yammy WOT to create wakes he can bust, over and over again. When there are 4'ers he takes her out and bangs them hard with wakeboarders in tow. He complains his boat is leaking now, no shirt Sherlock.

True conversation. Ed, " Johnny D I'm out on the lake and the boat is taking on water" "OK, you need a tow?" He actually says " Not yet, we are hammering the Perch." What do you say to that? The guy is a nutbar and I love it.

Yep, there is a HUGE difference from a boat that is used all it's life on smaller inland lakes compared to those who live on the Great Lakes for decades.

Bottom line, if I had to choose it's rivets every time because it's much easier to replace rivets compared to actually getting someone who is really qualified to properly weld a crack in the boat.

I have a 91 starcraft that is dry, with a yamaha built mariner that runs as good now as it ever has.

S.

We have almost the identical boat Sinker. Mine is a 95. That 115 Mariner and my 15HP Mariner kicker I have as well as Featherstone Teds 90 Mariner all run like new. Yes most from that era have drives built by Yamaha exclusively for Mariner. Easy peasy to get parts for from Merc as well.

Sad day today, the sun is shining Erie is calm and I am going outside to winterize her.

We have almost the identical boat Sinker. Mine is a 95. That 115 Mariner and my 15HP Mariner kicker I have as well as Featherstone Teds 90 Mariner all run like new. Yes most from that era have drives built by Yamaha exclusively for Mariner. Easy peasy to get parts for from Merc as well.

Sad day today, the sun is shining Erie is calm and I am going outside to winterize her.

Well, mine is only a 16fter with a 40 tiller, but same era....

S.