Rapala Shadow Rap.....what a piece of junk!

b_cdot

Pay 13.99$ for a shadow rap deep 11 and use it for 2 days. Caught a couple nice smallies on it first day. 2nd day I realize that I'm casting it a mile. Fish it all day long caught 1 or 2 fish on it but notice that I am missing all my hits. Probably 10-15 strikes and couldnt hookup. Just figured it was one of those freak days. Then I have 2 big smallies following my bait went to pause it to get her to hit and the damn thing sunk like a stone and the smallie swiped at it and swam away. I checked it out and the bait was full of water. Went online and saw this was a common problem, I want to return in but is it worth it for shipping? Is rapala known for giving you more gear to makeup for shipping costs? Ive done this with strike king and they were happy to throw in some more baits to offset shipping, I can't believe rapala would throw these cheap things on the shelf. COME ON! Hope they fix the problem....

I'd take it back to where I bought it. The price of any Rappala today is just insane. They have them locked up like jewellery at our CTC stores. If they say the old song and dance make a stink when there are customers within ear shot. Worked for me, a few times at least. 16 year old kid tells me Master Craft has nothing to do with Can. Tire and the shallow well pump I bought 8 hrs ago had to be shipped to T.O. Yea right Young lady, manager please.

I've heard of this. Sadly I find issues with X-raps as well taking on water without any abuse. When I use them casting open cold water for trout it seems after every outing one seems to MESSED UP.

I hope they sort this out cause shadow rap is a nice bait with good colours

I've heard of this. Sadly I find issues with X-raps as well taking on water without any abuse. When I use them casting open cold water for trout it seems after every outing one seems to f up.

I hope they sort this out cause shadow rap is a nice bait with good colours

I've had good luck with xraps but.... I bought all mine when they first came out.

Even with all the pike they attracted

I'd take it back to where I bought it. The price of any Rappala today is just insane. They have them locked up like jewellery at our CTC stores. If they say the old song and dance make a stink when there are customers within ear shot. Worked for me, a few times at least. 16 year old kid tells me Master Craft has nothing to do with Can. Tire and the shallow well pump I bought 8 hrs ago had to be shipped to T.O. Yea right Young lady, manager please.

might have to give it a shot. Let them send it in. but then im just stuck with a crappy lure again...unless they fixed the problem. I can push it and try and get an xrap for it haha

they better alter the quality of the shadow raps or they will lose some customers for sure

Yeah, but I meant the other way around.

Seems alit of these lures talked about as junk, we're awesome quality during the first few year of release.

I have older rapala subwalks that have lured hundreds of pike/bass. And a few newer ones that were just garbage. The part that gives them the gliding action weren't symmetrical and one even broke off

Glad I rarely buy lures anymore. Pretty sure I've already made a few people rich lol

Yeah, but I meant the other way around.

Seems alit of these lures talked about as junk, we're awesome quality during the first few year of release.

I have older rapala subwalks that have lured hundreds of pike/bass. And a few newer ones that were just garbage. The part that gives them the gliding action weren't symmetrical and one even broke off

Glad I rarely buy lures anymore. Pretty sure I've already made a few people rich lol

My older raps are still going strong!!

Edited by b_cdot

Rapala has outstanding customer service.

I had deal with them in the past - and they prove to be unbelievable in resolving any issues.

Contact them directly:

Normark Inc.

1350 Phillip Murray Ave.
Oshawa, L1J 6Z9
Ontario, Canada

905-571-3001

I am sure that you will get your issue resolved.

Rapala has outstanding customer service.

I had deal with them in the past - and they prove to be unbelievable in resolving any issues.

Contact them directly:

Normark Inc.

1350 Phillip Murray Ave.

Oshawa, L1J 6Z9

Ontario, Canada

905-571-3001

I am sure that you will get your issue resolved.

Likely will let them know. Just was on their warranty page.

I still have a dozen or so 35 year old balsa wood floating Rappala's, everyone just happens to be black on glitter silver. Some are intact that need new hardware and some have been eaten until the paint is gone or crushed by big Pike and the heads are bent or lips broken off. They must have a wire inside them. Need to do an autopsy on a cold winters day. They worked then and still work today. Like they say most new tackle they come out with every year catches as many fishermen as fish.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I still have a dozen or so 35 year old balsa wood floating Rappala's, everyone just happens to be black on glitter silver. Some are intact that need new hardware and some have been eaten until the paint is gone or crushed by big Pike and the heads are bent or lips broken off. They must have a wire inside them. Need to do an autopsy on a cold winters day. They worked then and still work today. Like they say most new tackle they come out with every year catches as many fishermen as fish.

The old rapala countdowns in black/gold are unreal good. I have maybe 20 and I bet they'll last a lifetime

I wouldn't say they have unbelievable service.

Good experience if you can go to their office.

Poor when it was shipped. One replacement for one defective. No consideration for shipping costs.

Sadly, more and more of their lures are lacking in durability/quality.

I won't buy anymore Blue Fox spinners as a result. Even though they caught fish.

Do just as well with Mepps without the quality issues.

Cheers,

Mark

We may not like it but in today's market $12-$14 hard baits is reality in southern Ontario. You can buy "generic" lures for less and do alright but the hooks and hardware will not be as good, the consistency will vary more and some will flat out just not fish right. To each his own. This problem with the shadow rap is something that rapala needs to fix.

We may not like it but in today's market $12-$14 hard baits is reality in southern Ontario. You can buy "generic" lures for less and do alright but the hooks and hardware will not be as good, the consistency will vary more and some will flat out just not fish right. To each his own. This problem with the shadow rap is something that rapala needs to fix.

I find ReefRunners and Walleye Divers are just as good as Raps for my purposes.

2/3 the price.

Catching most of my fish on jigs and dropshot.

Way cheaper.

I am a big fan of Reef Runners, use them with great success here longlining for Walleye on Erie. My go to body bait. The other go to here is a Ripplin' Red Fin, hammered the Walleye on a small lake east of Point Au Barril. No one there had ever seen them before. Sometimes using something or a technique not normally used on a lake really works well.