Optimal muskie reel size for casting

redpearl99

Im thinking of getting a new baitcaster dedicated to just muskie casting... so no trolling.

Wondering which you think is the preferable option ... Abu Garcia C4 5600 vs C4 6600

http://www.basspro.com/Abu-Garcia-Ambassadeur-C4-Classic-Round-Baitcast-Reel/product/1306130740213/

I see a lot of people like the 6600 size reel but is it even necessary if youre just casting for muskie?? It's not like they're gonna go on lone runs like salmon

Im thinking of getting a new baitcaster dedicated to just muskie casting... so no trolling.

Wondering which you think is the preferable option ... Abu Garcia C4 5600 vs C4 6600

http://www.basspro.com/Abu-Garcia-Ambassadeur-C4-Classic-Round-Baitcast-Reel/product/1306130740213/

I see a lot of people like the 6600 size reel but is it even necessary if youre just casting for muskie?? It's not like they're gonna go on lone runs like salmon

I think that you need to ask yourself a few questions like....what kind of baits am i casting? Lighter spinnerbaits and smaller bodybaits or are you planning to cast larger double inlines, heavy bodybaits or even bulldawg types that put incredible stress on reels, (and on your body). Is it for an occasional muskie fish or do you fish them all of the time. I burned out 2 5601 C4s my first season. If cost is a factor C4 is an OK reel for lighter baits but 6000 series as it is only fractionally heavier and a little larger diameter. Definitely get power handle or you fingers will get a workout! If you have smaller hands and a larger budget some of the lower profiles might suit you better. If you fish muskie a lot, invest in a reel that can take the punishment. Just my .02 worth.

I believe the C3's with their lower gearing are generally considered to be more durable than the C4's. I'm on my second C3 6501, in my opinion they make a great budget musky reel, it may not excel at anything but it's reasonably well rounded. You can find a better musky reel for more cash (sky's the limit depending on your budget) but I don't think you could do any better for less.

As mentioned, it really comes down to what your throwing. It makes a huge difference if it's double 10's bladed bucktails or bulldawgs.

I'd say, save your mioney and buy a Shimano Tranx 300/400, Abu Revo Toro Beast, Daiwa Lexa 400 or a Shimano Calcutta D. Buy used if you have to. These reels should last a long time. The new Abu Ambassadeur Beast looks awesome too.

That being said, a lot of people do start out with the Ambassadeur reels. It's probably not a bad idea if you aren't going to be targeting musky all the time. The nice thing about the 6500 is that it has a clicker for trolling, but the 5500 does not. I don't know about the newer ones. Still, if you look around you might be bale to get a much better used reel for not much more money. Even if you go with the Ambassadeur, I got mine used from eBay for a good price.

Just looking at it from a different aspect, my 5000 series Abu reels were fine for lures up to 1 ounce or so, and the occasional bigger fish. If I was targeting fish that regularly exceed 20 pounds with lures exceeding 1 ounce or more I would have used bigger stronger reels.

you want a 6500 c3, not a c4, not a 6600, and definately not a 5600

this is the defacto beginner muskie reel. you can try and reinvent the wheel or you can listen to people who have come before you and burned out c4 and 5000-series reels.

Edited by Raf

6500 is what I used to use. Larger reel size the more line pick up

I thought the only difference was the 6500 had wider pillars between the end plates and of course a wider spool than the 5500 resulting in more line capacity, would not the line pick up and probably the gears be the same ?

Edited by dave524

I used the 5500 and 6500 for a lot of years without any problems until I started throwing more double 10's all the time . They took their toll on the gears and me . I have several Revo's now and can cast the bigger lures a lot longer then before .