New to Ontario Fishing - Zone 16

Zathorious

Hi Guys,

New to fishing in Ontario.

I'm looking to go Friday for bass in Zone 16 is the only zone that's open until Saturday.

I just bought the gear and licenses for my girlfriend and me, I thought it would be a good thing to do together as she's shown interest.

I was hoping someone could suggest a spot where we're almost guaranteed to catch some Bass, we're looking to eat them as well. I want to get her hooked on it, she's quite the catch (pun intended).

Many thanks,

Oliver

Hello friend. My best bet I can tell you is to go to Heart lake in Brampton or island lake in Orangeville. Rent a boat from the conservation authorities and explore the lakes. The rental prices are reasonable and the fishing can be good with a little luck.

Have a good opening weekend.

Bass is way better than crappie lol (joking)

Very hard to find crappie from shore though

I've eaten 2 bass in my life, no thanks ill pass

you haven't eaten the right ones then ;) the smallies we catch in lake huron are sweet like perch

but, zone 16 covers a LARGE area, more than can be covered in a day or two, windsor to scarborough,up to penatang,over to tobermory, which part are you interested in?, and bass season opens 4th saturday of june

theres lots of places in the bruce peninsula where you can catch bass from shore, and boat rentals are pretty cheap for tinner with a 9.9 on it

Edited by FloatnFly

you haven't eaten the right ones then ;) the smallies we catch in lake huron are sweet like perch

but, zone 16 covers a LARGE area, more than can be covered in a day or two, windsor to scarborough,up to penatang,over to tobermory, which part are you interested in?, and bass season opens 4th saturday of june

theres lots of places in the bruce peninsula where you can catch bass from shore, and boat rentals are pretty cheap for tinner with a 9.9 on it

Yeah, I know alot of people that will keep them on the deep, colder lakes

Hi Guys's,

Thank you for being so responsive, what a cool forum!!!

I accidentally put down zone 16 I meant 17!

Any suggestions for around Peterborough.

I have only eaten bass once, I caught it in Algonquin and it was delicious!

Many thanks,

Z

Go see Will at Curtis Point Cottages (a member here) and tell him you heard of them from this site. And rent a boat as long as you have a valid boaters card. If not see if he or others can guide you two for a bit.

Go see Will at Curtis Point Cottages (a member here) and tell him you heard of them from this site. And rent a boat as long as you have a valid boaters card. If not see if he or others can guide you two for a bit.

need a card to a rent a 9.9 tinner now?

need a card to a rent a 9.9 tinner now?

Yes, even a trolling motor counts.

No, you don't need a card to rent a boat. But the renter must walk you through a safety check list.

But if you own your own boat, you will need the boaters card even for an electric motor.

To the OP: I think all of the lakes around Peterborough have bass in them. The Otonabe river is another option. There are no guarantees though; fishing doesn't work that way.

Edited by JohnBacon

No, you don't need a card to rent a boat. But the renter must walk you through a safety check list.

But if you own your own boat, you will need the boaters card even for an electric motor.

thats what i thought, even still, boaters cards are easy to get, just takes a lot of time invested since the online modules are timed now

A bit off topic, but I have never understood why the Gov't overseers would make me have to get a boaters card at 53 years old and basically 50 years of on the water boating experience, but a brand new person can rent a boat after 15 minutes of "safety instruction". My boat is at Hindson in Penetang and there is a Diverse Rental there, so I see what goes on. There are very inexperienced people renting their boats and heading out. At least they tend to wear their life jackets.

As for bass, I won't eat a largemouth. I find them a bit "muddy" tasting. Not bad, just not good enough to kill a fish when there are other options. I will eat smallmouth from Georgian Bay though, as long as it is in clean water and not in an area where they are too grubby. On or two grubs I will cut out, but too many is just a bit "icky". I wouldn't say they are as good as perch or walleye, but they are pretty good. I also like to eat the odd pike. About 3 to 5 lbs is a great size so the y-bones are larger and easier to avoid. I don't cut them out, I leave em in and eat around them. I think its a huge waste of a resource to kill a fish and then throw away 1/3 of it.. Larger and they all go back.

Hi Guy's,

Well she's said she'll go again so that's a win.

Only caught a tiny small mouth, and a catfish of all things.

Any tips on getting bass in the 3-5lb range? Would a boat make a huge difference?

Thanks!

a boat makes a huge difference and changes the game. you can cover WAY more water than you ever could fishing from shore