Changes to Outdoors Card

John Bacon

There are proposed changes to the outdoors card.

They claim that they are modernizing the system. It doesn't sound to modern to me. If I am reading this correctly, it looks like they are moving more into the direction of us having to carry individual copies of each licence (fishing, hunting, etc.) in addition to the card. However, they may allow you to save it on your smart phone rather than carry in a printed copy. I wonder if a dead battery will lead to a failing to produce a licence charge.

If we have to carry Individual licences, then what is the point in having the outdoors card?

I don't see any reason why they cannot store all of your licence information on the card itself. These could be printed on the card if you purchase the licences at the time you purchase the card. The license information could also be electronically stored on the card. Service Ontario (and possibly other outlets) should be able to updated electronic information on the card for any additional licences that you purchase from them.

If a CO had a cell or satellite signal, they would be able to verify the information on the licence with the MNR data base. If they don't have a signal, they could rely on the printed or electronic information on the card.

https://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-External/displaynoticecontent.do?noticeId=MTMyNTI1&statusId=MjAxMjQy&language=en

https://www.facebook.com/theOFAH/app/126231547426086/?app_data=%7B%7D

You don't have to carry individual licences, it will be one licence that will have all your different tags/licences on it.

creating a single licence document that would list all of the clients’ valid licences.

You don't have to carry individual licences, it will be one licence that will have all your different tags/licences on it.

I hope that you are correct. But the highlighed areas below imply that will have to carry either paper or electronic copies of licences with us.

Licensing Modernization

• Simplify the regulations and reduce the number of components that make up a licence, reflecting a modernized approach to licensing by creating a single licence document that would list all of the clients’ valid licences. These changes would help to reduce the many different types and formats of hunting and fishing licences, and allow for licences to be self-printed at a client’s home if they desire.

• As part of this proposal, clients would have the option of having their licence document delivered to them digitally (e.g. email) and allow them to maintain the document in a digital format (e.g. on a smartphone), which would eliminate the need to print the licence document for those clients that would prefer to maintain a digital copy.

• The printed paper copy of the licence document would continue to be maintained for those clients who prefer to have a hardcopy of their licences in hand. The system would allow for the licence document to be printed or reprinted by the client or by request at a licence issuer location (e.g. following the purchase of a licence or prior to going fishing or hunting).

Edited by JohnBacon

So, if I don't plan on hunting anymore, health issues :( and am over 65 and no longer require a fishing license, do I still need an outdoors card if fishing ??

I sure hope not Dave!

I have not had an outdoors card since I no longer needed a fishing license. (70 now)

Edited by floatman55

The card expires every 3 years. I always purchased a license for a year and had to carry a ridiculous piece of paper printed out on my computer.

This year, since my card expired, I decided I would get a 3 year license so both expire at same time.

The new card arrived with my license stamped on the back. Now I have just the card and no paper. I'm happy with that!

The card expires every 3 years. I always purchased a license for a year and had to carry a ridiculous piece of paper printed out on my computer.

This year, since my card expired, I decided I would get a 3 year license so both expire at same time.

The new card arrived with my license stamped on the back. Now I have just the card and no paper. I'm happy with that!

yes never did understand this. Why couldn't they just give you a sticker to put on your card each year for the 2nd and 3rd year of the outdoors card validity.

yes never did understand this. Why couldn't they just give you a sticker to put on your card each year for the 2nd and 3rd year of the outdoors card validity.

They used to do that. I guess that they decided that carrying a piece of paper around was better.

It doesn't mattter. With all the new live bait regulations. You have to carry the receipt for minnows and worms and they can't be more than 2 weeks old. Everybody will stop fishing and hunting. Liberal agenda achieved.

It doesn't mattter. With all the new live bait regulations. You have to carry the receipt for minnows and worms and they can't be more than 2 weeks old. Everybody will stop fishing and hunting. Liberal agenda achieved.

BINGO . . . . . . Give this man a prize

I understand the technology is out there where all government info from Feds to Provinces can all be on 1 card. Birth Certificate to drivers licence including fish and game licenses. I understand they want OHIP information kept very private because of fraud , only medical personnel are suppose to take it never for picture I.D. One card, too simple to work? I see 1 card in the future for everything including government info plus non gov. things like bank and credit accounts.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I understand the technology is out there where all government info from Feds to Provinces can all be on 1 card. Birth Certificate to drivers licence including fish and game licenses. I understand they want OHIP information kept very quiet, only medical personnel are suppose to take it. One card, too simple to work? I see 1 card in the future for everything including government info plus non gov. things like bank and credit accounts.

I see a chip under the skin and a scanner, just like the dogs get at the vets :tease:

Because that makes way too much sense!

lol

My new card just arrived today, it has a 3 year expiration date and the Sport Fishing 1 Yr Dec. 31st 2017 expiry printed on the back. So I'm throwing the yellow temp paper they gave me out I guess. This should be all I need now right instead of the card & paper like in the past?

Edited by Governator