Identifying Speckled Trout Lakes from Satellite Image?

Sterling

I have a fishing trip planned for next week and can't wait. 7 days in Northern Quebec.

Problem with great walleye fishing is that you limit out quickly. So the day is generally spent chasing pike, or simply relaxing.

This year I want to put daytime to good use and go speck hunting.

Unfortunately the area I'm fishing is uncharted. The lake itself is surrounded with smaller lakes, but I'm not sure what to look for, if I'm chasing specks.

Here's the area in question (Lac Jolliet);

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Lac+Jolliet/@51.5460088,-76.9120883,10393m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4d1d14c4e884e877:0x619b39ed95a61aa1!8m2!3d51.565845!4d-76.8345822

Now, I'd rather not hike more than 1.5km off the lake. This gives me plenty of options, but I'm not sure how to prioritize them. So here are my questions anyway;

• Do smaller lakes commonly hold specks this far North?
  • Should I first check lakes that have a small creek connecting them, as this means they can spawn easily? Or does a creek mean predators can get in?
  • From satellite imagery it seems some of these lakes have sandy berms, should I prioritize these, or try those that seems deep and rocky?

Anyone have an idea of what I should look for????

That's going to be tough gig. Some of the most 'perfect' looking spec lakes have nothing in them, other lakes that you'd never guess have brookies by looking at them, are loaded, lol. Personally I'd pick a few and see what you turn up. Clear/blue looking lakes on Google maps should be spring fed opposed to dark stained ones, I'd probably try those first if you've got a choice.

I have a fishing trip planned for next week and can't wait. 7 days in Northern Quebec.

Problem with great walleye fishing is that you limit out quickly. So the day is generally spent chasing pike, or simply relaxing.

This year I want to put daytime to good use and go speck hunting.

Unfortunately the area I'm fishing is uncharted. The lake itself is surrounded with smaller lakes, but I'm not sure what to look for, if I'm chasing specks.

Here's the area in question (Lac Jolliet);

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Lac+Jolliet/@51.5460088,-76.9120883,10393m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4d1d14c4e884e877:0x619b39ed95a61aa1!8m2!3d51.565845!4d-76.8345822

Now, I'd rather not hike more than 1.5km off the lake. This gives me plenty of options, but I'm not sure how to prioritize them. So here are my questions anyway;

• Do smaller lakes commonly hold specks this far North?
  • Should I first check lakes that have a small creek connecting them, as this means they can spawn easily? Or does a creek mean predators can get in?
  • From satellite imagery it seems some of these lakes have sandy berms, should I prioritize these, or try those that seems deep and rocky?

Anyone have an idea of what I should look for????

Get a hold of recent stocking data, years ago I bushwacked by topo sheet and compass into a bunch of Haliburton Lakes only to find nada or smallies :wallbash:

Edit: judging by the location you could probably replace smallies with pike, big ones if you are lucky , hammerhandles if you not.

Edited by dave524

Get a hold of recent stocking data, years ago I bushwacked by topo sheet and compass into a bunch of Haliburton Lakes only to find nada or smallies :wallbash:

Edit: judging by the location you could probably replace smallies with pike, big ones if you are lucky , hammerhandles if you not.

Do they even stock lakes in northern Quebec? Hopefully someone will chime in on this site and share their experience in that area..

Zero stocking in the area. Pike is what I expect, specks would be a bonus.

In fact I doubt anyone here has been in the area lately. It's within the Weh-sees-Indohoun area which has lower limits (4 walleye) and requires a right-of-way from the natives. As of last year there's also a $30 fee to anyone fishing these lakes.

The area seems pretty remote? Are you flying in? staying at a camp? perhaps they can provide some info?

Driving in. Heck of a long drive on "closed" roads. I've already asked the guy who's "in charge" and he doesn't know of any speck lakes nearby. But most of these lakes are untouched.

I doubt very much that any of those lakes that far north hold brookies. Brook trout are pretty much strictly in rivers once you get that far north. You can roll the dice, but if it were me driving that far, I wouldn't bother. You've got a million good brookie lakes much closer to home.

I doubt very much that any of those lakes that far north hold brookies. Brook trout are pretty much strictly in rivers once you get that far north. You can roll the dice, but if it were me driving that far, I wouldn't bother. You've got a million good brookie lakes much closer to home.

Good to know. There is, in fact, a river about 1.5 hours away that is TEEMING with brookies. Went there years ago and must have caught 500 of them. But, they're small and you need to catch lots to get a limit of decent sized fish (12in).

Edited by Sterling

I think the odds are very slim to discover an unknown brook trout lake in the James Bay lowlands. It's not the right habitat. Even if it did exist, with all those logging roads around, word would have gotten out.

I would try and explore the fast water sections of the rivers.

I think the odds are very slim to discover an unknown brook trout lake in the James Bay lowlands. It's not the right habitat. Even if it did exist, with all those logging roads around, word would have gotten out.

I would try and explore the fast water sections of the rivers.

I wonder why that is? Seems it should be the opposite? Colder climate = need for deep water to survive winter?

Upsize and/or fish a little deeper if possible?

Rupert River area has plenty specks. A 1.5 hour drive really ain't that bad for a good day of getting into them.

Write a report, would like to hear how you do.

Yeah I've got a spot in mind that runs along the river. Might give it a shot.

But from what I've read, Rupert is no good anymore since they built the hydro dams.

Sounds like a sweet fishing trip. I hope you find them and report back.

I certainly will!

I wonder why that is? Seems it should be the opposite? Colder climate = need for deep water to survive winter?

Pike and walleye are better suited to those lowland, dishpan lakes I guess. Brookies just occupy a different niche.

Edited by chris.brock