Your Opinion

Musky Plug

So tomorrow I'm headed to Windsor to fish the Detroit river with a guide. Tomorrow is " on him" so to speak because of not catching anything the previous trip with him. So my question is how much would an appropriate tip be? Not really sure what to do here, any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Personally, I don't understand why anyone would expect to have to tip a guide who is already making real good money. Now if you feel you're getting an exceptional experience then sure go ahead. So you want to tip him an extra $100 for a total of $500 for a day of fishing when it was bad the first time and now you have to take another day of your time with related expenses. That money could cover your half of a weeks stay at a nice lodge with a bud, which I would find much more rewarding than any one day trip, that's for sure. Now I'm not tight with my coin when I have it but I do want value and a rewarding experience for whatever expenditures I put out.

Cheers

If he doesnt spend 8 hours yappin about who sponsors him, saying you have to use this manufactures rod and reel and line and lures, thats worth the wait in gold, and you can tip him, remember you already had to listen to the excuses why he didnt get you on fish the first time, we all come home home and tell our significant others why we did not catch fish, you had to likely hear it from him, and then go home and tell your significant other why you paid 400 bones and still didnt catch fish :whistling: when she has 2000.00 dollars worth of shoes and purses in her closet

I dunno, he should have got you onto fish ...but sometimes ish just doesn't work out even if you're a seasoned pro on your home lake/river.

Honest, I would say tip him 20% or more if he has a newer rig, and he isn't bitter about the freebie trip. If he's bitter, end the trip early and say thanks.

If you STILL don't get anything, but had fun and it was just bad timing yet again, it's your call. I'd ask to switch target species just to salvage the day, and give him 15%.

My opinion only, opinions vary.

If he doesnt spend 8 hours yappin about who sponsors him, saying you have to use this manufactures rod and reel and line and lures, thats worth the wait in gold, and you can tip him, remember you already had to listen to the excuses why he didnt get you on fish the first time, we all come home home and tell our significant others why we did not catch fish, you had to likely hear it from him, and then go home and tell your significant other why you paid 400 bones and still didnt catch fish :whistling: when she has 2000.00 dollars worth of shoes and purses in her closet

Hahah ya. Purses shoes and clothes ... clothes every week it seems

Personally, I don't understand why anyone would expect to have to tip a guide who is already making real good money. Now if you feel you're getting an exceptional experience then sure go ahead. So you want to tip him an extra $100 for a total of $500 for a day of fishing when it was bad the first time and now you have to take another day of your time with related expenses. That money could cover your half of a weeks stay at a nice lodge with a bud, which I would find much more rewarding than any one day trip, that's for sure. Now I'm not tight with my coin when I have it but I do want value and a rewarding experience for whatever expenditures I put out.

Cheers

The day is "on him" tomorrow. I just don't want anyone to feel like they're being taken advantage of.

Last time the conversation was good, myself and the two others that went all got along great. The only reason the sponsorship was spoken about was because a buddy asked him about it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels your pain lol.

I dunno, he should have got you onto fish ...but sometimes ish just doesn't work out even if you're a seasoned pro on your home lake/river.

Honest, I would say tip him 20% or more if he has a newer rig, and he isn't bitter about the freebie trip. If he's bitter, end the trip early and say thanks.

If you STILL don't get anything, but had fun and it was just bad timing yet again, it's your call. I'd ask to switch target species just to salvage the day, and give him 15%.

My opinion only, opinions vary.

I know these things can happen, and I have been out with other guides at different places who didn't make the same offer, or any kind of offer for that matter for not catching anything. I'm not sure if anything else is open in that zone at this time.

cover his expenses. .as for a re-peat its called fishing not catchin to folks that don't understand.. the guide you are using has definatly stood up..

Yes he did and he was good on his word.

I'm sure he could have stuck you with a weekday and likely could have book on a long weekend Monday. If he gets you fish at least expenses.

We actually chose today because there was limited days left and so that we didn't have to take a day off work.

We did ok today. Ended up with more silver bass then eyes but we did manage to get a few, mostly dinks however. The biggest one was around 3lbs. Winds picked up this afternoon made fishing difficult. We wrapped it up around 2. Overall IMO it was an alright day not what we were hoping for but I'm glad we didn't get skunked again.

the fact he was stand up enough to offer a free trip says he takes pride in it...that says a lot!id tip purely based on that.....i agree that covering some daily expenses would be stand up as well

Lots of guides offer this, its not unreasonable to offer a "free day" if you dont catch anything. Most guides are $400-500 for the day, if you dont catch anything you just spent a lot of money for a boat ride, in hopefully a nice boat.

The entire purpose of a guide is to show you spots, techniques, lures, presentations, etc. Did he show you any of this? or was he just going to his hotspots and hoping for the best without much else.

I really dont see the need to tip, but thats me, if the guides policy is to offer a free day, then thats his policy you shouldnt feel bad about it; if anything the guide should feel bad for not landing any fish for the day.