ATV Insurance

Jds63

I've been looking at buying an ATV and called my insurance broker for a quote.

They asked if I wanted collision or just fire and theft ...

My question is do I need collision insurance ?

I'll be riding mostly gravel cottage roads with the odd trail ride , the rest will be work use and possibly ice fishing ...

Thanks guys , but I was wondering if you get stopped by police , is there a requirement to have collision insurance? If you have to ride on a road to get to another property or trail what do you guys insure for ?

Thanks guys , but I was wondering if you get stopped by police , is there a requirement to have collision insurance? If you have to ride on a road to get to another property or trail what do you guys insure for ?

There is no legal requirement to have collision insurance on an automibile; so I doubt that there is one for ATVs.

If you are financing the purchase, you may be required to have collision & comprehensive in addition to liability. That is way it works with cars & trucks.

Broker didn't mention liability only fire and theft , she did mention collision if it was being financed .

I'll ask them again what is the minimum requirement for insurance coverage , if I do happen to be on a municipal road.

Broker didn't mention liability only fire and theft , she did mention collision if it was being financed .

I'll ask them again what is the minimum requirement for insurance coverage , if I do happen to be on a municipal road.

Probably because the liability is mandatory while fire & theft and collision are optional.

Just because your insured doesn't mean you can ride on public roads.

It will depend if local by-laws allow you to.

If you plan on ice fishing inquire if your covered on the ice for liability?

Some insurers graciously provide a free rider prohibiting operation on the ice (Intact is one). :(

Make sure you Max out on the medical - had an serious accident 5 years ago; saving grace was my coverage. if I had to pay out of pocket for care it would have been over 10,000.