NF - Question about air impact guns

Raycaster

My neighbour sold me basically a new compressor with a ton of tools in December.

They were all shiny like brand new and he said he just never used them so...

Anyways, I 100% trust him (he would buy them back in a heart beat if I asked) but the 2 impact guns don't seem to work.

Its just a simple 8 gallon HUSKY set for home DIY and by no means professional but good for taking off tires etc and some pin nailing.

I tried taking my winter tires off and couldn't budge even one nut. Tried both guns and had the proper psi etc and oiled before hand.

I thought maybe the nuts were super tight but when I tried manually with a wrench I had no problem.

The guns sounded perfect and they did spin properly but just had no torque power.

I was able to hold on to a socket and the gun wouldn't turn it!

I went to a friends house to see if the compressor was crap but his guns operated perfect with my compressor and my guns were still crap on his compressor.

Soooo... Yup the guns are inop, but can I fix them? Is something just seized up inside that provides the torque? Can't really think anything is worn or broken as they are in mint condition un-used.

Any help appreciated.

(Yes, I know they are cheapies).

I'm thinking maybe ask your neighbour to come and show you how they work, tell him you're having trouble with the guns. At least that way, judging by how he reacts, you'll have some idea whether he intentionally or unintentionally burned you.

I'm going with Art, for an air impact gun you want something bigger for a air compressor, air and the ability to deliver enough of it under steady pressure supplies the power.

See the recommendations for a unit that size here. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-Gal-Portable-Oil-Free-Electric-Air-Compressor-0300813A/206470729

Some additional thoughts to what's already been said: (if you want to go this route)

You should have enough air to maybe pull one or two lug nuts with that compressor (until it cycles back up) if the gun is functioning and you're using a big enough air line. Check the forward/reverse to make sure it's fully engaged one way or the other. If not, nothing will happen and you'll hear a "ffffttt" (no joke!) when under load, but it might still free spin. This valve can fail but is repairable/replaceable if the parts can be found. That they both spin but no torque is curious, the trigger may not be fully opening and the suggestion was made to look for a dial or knob that controls the air pressure on the gun itself. If all that fails open it up and look at the carbon vanes - they could be worn out, cracked etc. Should be able to find a schematic on line if you don't have the manuals. Usually three or four allen capscrews to pull and split the gun open for the vanes but check for your model's schematic first. There may also be some screws to split the handle where the valves are. Might just need to be opened up and cleaned, but you'll find all these suggestions will require opening it up and you can inspect/clean/oil the works as you reassemble. If the tools are Husky as well I believe Home Depot is the source for them - check on cost of buying a new gun vs parts before you go too far, might be easiest and cheapest to just buy another gun. Home Depot will probably direct you elsewhere to get parts - don't think they stock much, if any, for any kind of repair parts. You don't have to stick with any brand of gun if you decide to get new but some of the better ones are Ingersoll Rand, and of course the Cadillacs are Snap-on if you want to spend as much on one gun as an entire tool kit! (but they are good!)

Good Luck!

Michael

I have the same compressor. It will easily run an impact. I pull my snows off every year, no problems. It will even pop the rims off my f150, and the torque specs are ridiculous for that. Are the impact guns Campbell hausfield by chance? If so, take them to the dump and buy the Canadian tire set for $100 next time it's on sale. It's perfectly adequate for the home handyman who isn't beating on the tools every day.

Yep, that can be a good idea especially if your going to wrench on things a lot at home. But if your a 2-3 time a year user, mastercraft products will likely give a lifetime of use! I buy high end rods and reels because I use them a lot, air tools, not so much!