Anyone know antique prices ?

lew

Hi guys, I have a very old rocking chair that someone is interested in buying but neither of us has any idea what it's worth and I was wondering if anyone here could give me a ball park number.

My Dad bought it from a friend of his about 50 years ago and it was quite old then but I have no guess on the actual age.

It's in very good condition and quite heavy and my guess is it's made of oak.

It appears to be held together with wooden dowels but it could even be screws with wooden plugs over top.

The braces under the seat have screws in them.

Only reason I'm even considering selling it is we never use it and I'd much rather see it go to a home where it'll be used the way it's sposed to be.

I'd certainly appreciate it if anyone could give me an honest estimate on the value of this old gem.

011.jpg

012.jpg

014.jpg

013.jpg

Someone ruined it by refinishing it if it indeed is antique. It can drop the value big time, too bad, people pay big for old grime and grunge, I don't get it myself. My wife who is our antique guru that has been collecting since a kidthinks it may be a home made project as it doesn't appear to fall into a specific style. Because the patina is gone she said $100.00 would be a good price for her to buy. If 100 years or older and can prove it with zero modern repairs up way more, ouch. If a chair not a rocker more. It has 100 bucks worth of oak but she says that doesn't matter. She's not a pro though and wants me to tell you that, it isn't in her wheel house. I hope you get 10 grand big guy.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Why do I see a sad octopus?? Very nice rocker Lew.

now that you say that I see it too.

Lew I'd check see if there is a stamp or something from brand and or era and go from there too.

Me, I'd say "what's fare for you and me that we can both live with?" and go from there for a friend.

Someone ruined it by refinishing it if it indeed is antique. It can drop the value big time, too bad, people pay big for old grime and grunge, I don't get it myself.

I know for a fact the finish was never touched in the 50 years Dad had the chair and have no clue what was done to it before then, maybe it's still original but who knows but thanks to your wife for her thoughts on it.

And Geoff, I've looked for any identifying marks but don't see anything.

Lew, load that thing up and hit a local antique dealer and pay for an evaluation. That way you will be pretty sure as to it's value and you and the potential buyer can avoid buyer/seller remorse. Make a morning of it and take you lovely wife out for breakfast!

HH