Advice to sell Used Accord

captpierre

Ended up buying a new Subaru Crosstrek for the wifie. Prices for good used cars are stupid high.

Now I have to sell the old girl. 2004.

Been a good car.

As trade in, the dealers offered squat.

Going to sell her private.

Thinking Kijiji.

But don't want the hassle that comes with tire kickers and low ball offers.

Thinking of setting a firm, fair price.

Take it or leave it.

My mechanic recommended to sell As Is.

I think I need to get a sellers package from MTO and e-test but not sure.

Which is better -Kijiji or Autotrader? Or use both?

If selling as is no etest required. That MTO printout is $20 and they don't care who gets it...buyer or seller.

I just sold my 2005 Xterra on Kijiji and it was a PIA with emails/no shows...Put 'Phone calls only' in ad that will weed out some of the email no shows.

Everyone wants a deal, if you want $2000 for it ask $2500...Nobody wants to pay the asking price.

Lots of guys complain about using Kijiji, but I've had very good luck. In the last 3 years I've sold a used car, 2 small outboards and a boat and trailer, plus a couple of my old sonars etc, and a trolling motor. I have had to wade through some losers, but overall you get the most airtime from Kijiji, as almost everyone looks there! If your car will safety and e-test, it's my opinion you will sell it much easier, but that's up for debate! As for firm prices, you can list it as such but you will get low balls from guys anyway so it's been my experience that it's a waist of time. The only guys worth dealing with are the ones who show up with money in their pocket and negotiate then. The email ones I just ignore. Good luck!

Got nothing but scam emails when I listed the wife's Sporttrac on kijiji and car trader. Sold it off my facebook page in the end, as I did last month with her Trailblazer (in 12 hours I might add).

We do have a classified section here.. I'd start there and work out after that. How I sold my sisters trailblazer in 2009 here.

$20 for the buyers package and it shows liens / no liens and a spread of what the vehicle is worth retail and wholesale. Make sure you "sell" it on paper for somewhere in the middle of the MTO's pricing, but get as much as you can for it.

No Etest required, that's the buyers problem if you're selling as is.

Edited by irishfield

I haven't really had a problem with scam emails from Kijiji or Autotrader. Craigslist is bad for spam and scam emails; I would avoid listing it there.

I get a lot emails from AutoTrader that simply say that someone wants to know more about the vehicle. I assume that the website has a default response that many people don't bother to modify. Usually when I respond with an email requesting that they send specific questions, I don't hear back.

I would advertise on both Kijiji and Autotrader. You will probably get more responses from AutoTrader; but I don't see any reason not to be on both.

If it wasn't a Honda I would tell you to scrap it. Used Hondas sell well, even a nearly 15 year old Accord. I don't know about the 3 grand.

I am not the guy to ask about Kijiji. I would go the Auto Trader route and list it on the classifieds here as well as any other forum you may be a member. Selling privately will get you up to 60% more than a trade in will get you. Especially a Honda. To some that extra money isn't worth selling privately.

Like a boat it's condition that will sell a used anything. Detail and wax the thing back o life. If it has many scratches don't wax it, only shows scratches more. You can bring a shine back by just using a de-oxidizer though , like Maguire's. A manual tranny has been called a Millennial Anti-Theft Device.

Try Kijiji. Its free and there is a lot of interest in low price things. So your target buyer for that kind of car/price is on Kijiji. I have sold cars and a lot of other things on Kijiji.

The low-ballers will be very annoying but don't let them get to you. You will also get a lot of "no-shows" that will say they want to come say between 1 and 3pm and won't show up. So my advice is to NOT go out of your way to rearrange your day to meet a buyer. A serious and reasonable buyer will rearrange THEIR day to match your availability.

Some people will not allow buyers to come to their house and will meet them at the nearest Tim Hortons, or at the local police station. Most of the police actually recommend meeting Kijiji buyers at the police station parking lot.

I would also recommend saying phone only, but I would not put your phone number in the ad. When an interested buyer emails, tell them to call you and give your number, after you filter out the idiots.