Snapping Turtle Harvest

Jon

Oh im positive it's how it was cooked. I love wild game, to me it's easily my favorite food group. I've had beaver that was great, beaver that sucked too, and it's somewhat similar, tough oily meat.

Seems odd they'd ban snappers, there is billions of the things. And it's not like it's anyone's daily meal. Everyone I know that harvests them eats maybe 2 a year.

Anyone caught one fishing? I caught a monster on Mainville years ago, musta been 90lbs, thing was huge. Glad I have long pliers, I was scared crappless to take the hook out lol. It fought good, like hauling up half a tree hahahah(I actually thought I snagged a large branch)

Yes, Niapenco.. The contaminants are different from other lakes but with the turtles being where they are in the food chain combined with their age would make them much more apt to have high levels of toxins..

Are you talking about Lake Niapenco ?? that is a one of deal with that fire fighting foam from the Hamilton Airport training. It and the Welland River are the only spots where that is a factor.

I've ate it a few times (one time fried, in soup other 2 times) and it was great every time. That said, harvest methods and preparation make a huge difference with the final outcome of pretty much any animal we'd consider eating. Just look at how many people claim moose or deer is disgusting, when in fact it is delicious. How about fish that wasn't handled properly and tastes/smells fishy? You just ate some turtle that was prepared by someone who didn't have a clue what they were doing, that's all.

Seems to me like their harvest has been stopped due to emotional reasons and people who don't have a clue, much like the spring bear hunt was.

As for being endangered in Ontario, nope.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/snapping-turtle

Status Special Concern

“Special Concern” means the species lives in the wild in Ontario, is not endangered or threatened, but may become threatened or endangered due to a combination of biological characteristics and identified threats.

The MNRF likely received quite a few uninformed, emotionally-based comments during the public consultation period but there were scientifically sound reasons to end the harvest.

Snapping turtles take upwards of 20 years to reach sexual maturity and when they do, they have very low reproductive success. It's been estimated that fewer than 1 in 1800 eggs ever produce a mature individual. Combine this with the significant mortality that they face in most areas of their range from road collisions, the loss of any mature individuals and be catastrophic to the local population. Most if not all conservation groups have been pushing for years to suspend the hunt.

More info on the above: https://www.ontarionature.org/protect/species/reptiles_and_amphibians/snapping_turtle.php

The MNRF likely received quite a few uninformed, emotionally-based comments during the public consultation period but there were scientifically sound reasons to end the harvest.

Snapping turtles take upwards of 20 years to reach sexual maturity and when they do, they have very low reproductive success. It's been estimated that fewer than 1 in 1800 eggs ever produce a mature individual. Combine this with the significant mortality that they face in most areas of their range from road collisions, the loss of any mature individuals and be catastrophic to the local population. Most if not all conservation groups have been pushing for years to suspend the hunt.

More info on the above: https://www.ontarionature.org/protect/species/reptiles_and_amphibians/snapping_turtle.php

I,m glad they acted quickly and responsibly. After years of study, consultation and consideration they cancel with a day's notice. No need to wait for new regs to come out. And those endangered bunnies will be safe now as well. Kudos to the mnrf and the whole government for this monumentous decision