Cleaning Crappie.

limeyangler

Love my electric too Simon. Cleaning crappie bluegills and perch with a manual knife is like torture to me now. I sit down at the kitchen table and get at it. The one thing I do different...I go right through the tail and take the fillet right off. 1st side fillets go in one pile...2nd side fillets go in another pile. I then take the skin off the harder pile first and then breeze through the 2nd side pile afterwards. I never do any of this in a hurry ....but I do find it quicker this way then flopping the carcass around with the fillets still attached.

Thx for sharing your video and enjoy your fish fry.

Looks like I might have to break down and buy one of those . I have found with the one bad eye, I am kinda struggling with the old way. Hard to break a good thing,but that electric looks like just what I need.

Thanks for the vid Simon.

Love my electric too Simon. Cleaning crappie bluegills and perch with a manual knife is like torture to me now. I sit down at the kitchen table and get at it. The one thing I do different...I go right through the tail and take the fillet right off. 1st side fillets go in one pile...2nd side fillets go in another pile. I then take the skin off the harder pile first and then breeze through the 2nd side pile afterwards. I never do any of this in a hurry ....but I do find it quicker this way then flopping the carcass around with the fillets still attached.

Thx for sharing your video and enjoy your fish fry.

Thats kind of the routine I have for my walleye, except I'm quicker with the regular fillet knife for walleye. I am beginning to think taking the fillets completely off is the way to go, however saying that, if I can perfect the 'flop' with everything attached it is so much neater when it comes to getting rid of the carcasses and having the tail to hold while taking the skin off is nice too. I have only had the electric knife out 5 or 6 times since I got it so i am going to persevere.

Looks like I might have to break down and buy one of those . I have found with the one bad eye, I am kinda struggling with the old way. Hard to break a good thing,but that electric looks like just what I need.

Thanks for the vid Simon.

Avoid the Berkely one for $50 at CT, not enough power. I was lucky cuz I won it at a fishing derby, they aint cheap, but they work good, also not bad for carving lamb roasts :)

I am beginning to think taking the fillets completely off is the way to go, however saying that, if I can perfect the 'flop' with everything attached it is so much neater when it comes to getting rid of the carcasses and having the tail to hold while taking the skin off is nice too.

To avoid the mess I have a small pail...actually a 7KG sized cat litter container...I noticed your cat in the video maybe you have the same sized containers. I put a plastic grocery bag in it and sit in on a chair pulled over right beside me at the table. Soon as the carcass comes off it goes right in the pail and your done with that. Skin the fillet and that goes straight in the pail too. When I am done I tie the bag closed and take it out to the garage but I leave it in the pail until garbage day. Leaky bags had the garage smelling and the boss upset.

I have never had a problem holding the fillet down with a finger nail while I take the skin off. But I have one buddy who uses a fork to help him with this and another buddy who uses a corn pick.

I have never had a problem holding the fillet down with a finger nail while I take the skin off. But I have one buddy who uses a fork to help him with this and another buddy who uses a corn pick.

A beer bottle cap also works well too

my carcasses go to the dogs, and they love it!

Lol I love that comment Rick. They are Huskys, who cares about fish bones right? No prob. I bet they destroy other bones and carcasses too.

And then I thought about the other 98% of other pet owners who would freak out if their dog got into a pile of fish carcasses and I had to chuckle at the big difference in lifestyles, in a good way you know.

Cheers

To avoid the mess I have a small pail...actually a 7KG sized cat litter container...I noticed your cat in the video maybe you have the same sized containers. I put a plastic grocery bag in it and sit in on a chair pulled over right beside me at the table. Soon as the carcass comes off it goes right in the pail and your done with that. Skin the fillet and that goes straight in the pail too. When I am done I tie the bag closed and take it out to the garage but I leave it in the pail until garbage day. Leaky bags had the garage smelling and the boss upset.

Those blue litter boxes make excellent minnow buckets too! I usually have a bag in the sink but putting it in the container is GENIUS!!!lol...gonna try that. I freeze all my carcasses and take them to the dump on dump run days. Another trick to getting the skin off is after the first inch or so of clean skin is separated make a small incision in the skin with the knife enough to get your thumb in...and there ya go, a handle!

I use a fork when in doubt. But those fish cleaning clamps are nice too. No error at all use those

Also, where is roloff. For cleanup duty? I my carcasses go to the dogs, and they love it!

Nice vid Simon!

LOL...Roloff has food anxiety....lol. He will eat fish only when the cats eat it first, he won't eat a whole fish carcass but will destroy a grouse carcass. Having said that if he comes across a rotting fish carcass on the ice he will inhale that no problem, of course he has to roll his whole body in it first, he's a strange but lovely beastie. Oh and he has brought home a few frozen stiff deer body parts too.

Great video but I'm gonna puke with the monkey cam video. LOL

WHAT?

Hmmm.....how to clean a mess of Crappie? I only wish i had that problem right about now! lol

Great Video Simon! Thanks

LOL...thanks man.