Boat storage near Newmarket

Rattletrap2

Hey all, trying to help a Buddy out here.

I was with him at the Toronto Sportsman Show and he bought himself a new Princecraft 16' fishing boat. We never thought there would be an issue finding (outdoor) storage during the season, but apparently it is hard to find or very expensive! I can store it for him during the winter, but I'm not convenient to him.

He would like 24 hour acces or something close to it so he can pick it up and drop it off after an outing.

Anyone have any ideas? Just wondering what others are doing who don't have room in the driveway.

Thanks

My neighbour pays $125/month at the storage place at Harry Walker and Davis.

I have a place out at Kennedy Rd where I store indoors for the winter. They do have outdoor in the summer time but you have to arrange to get your boat a day or two in advance.

You don't say area.

What do you mean? The topic states "Newmarket"

This is why I said a self storage unit. There are a few there. If it was closer to me in Lindsay I'd say go park it in my side lot on the cheep (aka case of beer)

Edited by GBW

Thanks guys! As I did say, he lives in Newmarket / Aurora area. He found one that was $154.00 per month. I think that is a little steep! We were thinking more in the $70 to $75 range. That's why I was curious as to what you folks were doing. Most of the storage places are full, or well over $100 per month. The one that was a little cheaper in Queensville is not so convenient to get in and out, and he had no space left. Card access is way preferred.

I honestly thought it would be a lot easier and cheaper to find something.....maybe I was out to lunch! I've never been in this position myself.

I'll look into the Anchor Storage place.

He did find storage about 15 minutes from his house in Newmarket with 24/7 access. It is about $120 per month all in. Pricey, but I guess it works. The farmer with land seems to be a good option as well. I guess the only thing missing there is any type of security unless the farmer has a dog and a gun! lol

Naw MisterG, it isn't like that at all! We just never thought it would be that hard to find or that expensive. Around my place, all I see is storage places.

As far as where he fishes most........we get asked that question all the time! lol The boat dealers at the shows all asked me that too! Seems like a strange question to ask for some reason to me. I/We plan to travel around and try a lot of different lakes. When I was at the trailer park or if someone had a cottage on a particular lake, it would seem like a logical answer. Other than that, we are vagabonds! I dunno, just seems like an odd question to me!

Not too odd a question. Here's why. What if you/he reside in Newmarket and fish Simcoe 95% of the time. Well then a storage unit/place while en route to said fishing hole makes sense so less time towing the boat as it's on the way.

As far as where he fishes most........we get asked that question all the time! lol The boat dealers at the shows all asked me that too! Seems like a strange question to ask for some reason to me. I/We plan to travel around and try a lot of different lakes. When I was at the trailer park or if someone had a cottage on a particular lake, it would seem like a logical answer. Other than that, we are vagabonds! I dunno, just seems like an odd question to me!

Like GWB says.....

If the guy fishes Simcoe allot and the Kawarthas (kinda on the way if your boat's on south end east of Cooks Bay) I would have offered up my storage guy by Simcoe. That's why I wanted to know where he fishes. Since your 'fishing vagabonds' you could offer to split the storage cost with him to get his rent down.... if you are constant companion. A buddy I take quite often has offered but I decline. Nice gesture of him though. Makes me feel even better about taking him out fishing. Lots out there who want a free ride.

A boat dealer should ask the question in order to help fit the proper boat package to the seller. Extreme example is a guy fishing Lake Ontario for salmon can't get by with a 12 footer as safely as a guy who fishes pond crappie.

Edited by cisco

Cisco and GBW, I get it. It makes sense in relation to the storage of the boat. I see your point there to possibly store it somewhere en route to the lake of choice. By "Vagabonds", I mean we plan to fish different lakes, not primarily just one.

I guess you are right about the Salesman trying to suit the boat to its intended duty. Just seems funny to me that it is the first thing out of their mouths.

I will store my own boat at home, just not anywhere close to Newmarket. I did tell him that he is welcome to store it here over the winter months.

Thanks for your suggestions!