After market trolling motor prop - has anyone used these?

fishdawg

I have a Kipawa on my Terrova, Purchased 3 years ago as per Bill's recommendation!! Thanx Bill

Works as advertised

I think it is easier on battery as it takes less power/speed to move the boat

Works great on the Spot Lock also.

Not sure about the weeds Never had it in really heavy weed

Its on a 80 lbs thrust 24 volt 60 " shaft Terrova Mounted on a 17'6" Sylvan, full windshield and a 115 Etec

Cheers

Rick

• 1 month later...

I put one on and tried it this weekend in the Detroit River. It definitely seems to run slower and use less battery power than the motor did in similar conditions last year. I think I will do a more scientific test with a clamp on ammeter in some smooth water and see how the loads compare between the two props but it sure seems a lot more efficient to me.

I love mine it is on a 10ft 50 lb 12 volt pelican. With 2 men and gear it runs 1 mph faster than the stock prop. The Rexchange time on the battery is 30% less after 3 hours runs from full throttle to medium trolling.

Art

The feedback pins it as a go to aftermarket product. Engineers spend years refining a product to hone and tune it to be the best it can be. Anyone bother to ask themselves, or better yet ask Minn Kota why they don't make a 3 blade available themselves?

The feedback pins it as a go to aftermarket product. Engineers spend years refining a product to hone and tune it to be the best it can be. Anyone bother to ask themselves, or better yet ask Minn Kota why they don't make a 3 blade available themselves?

If engineers had their way, the stock prop would most likely be different. They're under all kinds of constraints (Time, $$$, etc).. There's always going to be a sacrifice somewhere, that's where the aftermarket comes in.

If engineers had their way, the stock prop would most likely be different. They're under all kinds of constraints (Time, $$$, etc).. There's always going to be a sacrifice somewhere, that's where the aftermarket comes in.

So the likes of Minn Kota and Motorguide lack money, time and etc? MG built their own 3 blade and if you take a close look it isnt even close to the dimensions that Kipawa uses. Same argument people use for some automotive applications and then they wonder why things go "knock, screech and boom". The sacrifice is actually made when you take an engineered product and change parameters that test limits refined by years of testing. Manufacturers also let you know you void a warranty when you use certain after market add ons.

I emailed Kipawa and they said, "We have not experienced that in our motors and they have been used for years. Same for many of our customers" What else would they say? No stats on how many hours of a motors life are cut short due to its use. Just sayin.

The fact that the props are molded plastic indicates they are anything but precision. Then we commonly knock them around on rocks and stumps as part of there daily routine. If the prop on a trolling motor needed to be to the OEM's exact specifications, they wouldn't be an injection molded piece of plastic designed to be destroyed. Now, if someone starts offering aftermarkets replacement motors, I'd be wary.

• 4 weeks later...

I have used mine a number of times now and am very surprised how well it performs. The only issue I have with it is that it turbines while I'm towing on the highway. I don't know how many RPM's it gets up to but it's fast! I made a little bungy cord thingy to put around it to stop it from spinning as I'm sure that would put a lot of undue wear and tear on the motor.