NF - Bell vs Rogers

John Bacon

Some places are like that but I know other people in the area that have Shaw with good service....they could have done a DIY install though but I don't think so.

A Sat range finder is about $40 for a basic one at The Source and it helps you lock in on the signal during set up. My father has one for his 5th wheel camper and Sat TV dish on a tripod. There are no installers for Bell or Shaw in Nunavut yet both companies still have customers there. I joke when I get a call from there, "so I cannot sell you Non-of-it as there is not tech's" to help BUT I do tell all callers how to go about getting some form of TV from either company.

Edited by GBW

A Sat range finder is about $40 for a basic one at The Source and it helps you lock in on the signal during set up. My father has one for his 5th wheel camper and Sat TV dish on a tripod. There are no installers for Bell or Shaw in Nunavut yet both companies still have customers there. I joke when I get a call from there, "so I cannot sell you Non-of-it as there is not tech's" to help BUT I do tell all callers how to go about getting some form of TV from either company.

Yep, got me one and have always installed my own equipment.

It's very easy compared to aiming data sat dishes like X-Plornet and some of the other commercial dishes.

An oscilloscope is needed to correctly aim them.

This summer the Bell dish gets installed @ the cabin. :D

I also will add my dissatisfaction with Bell

Arrogant service reps. Technicians that are openly and obviously unhappy and annoyed that they are actually expected to do some work. Service requests that are directed to off shore call centers that employ people that can barely speak English and are not capable of handling even a simple request, wait times and being put on hold for ridiculous time periods while trying to get answers and solutions from who knows how many levels of supervisors and so called managers...Sadly in many instances not only are they not interested in correcting any problems they actually deny that there is a problem and do not care if their services work or not so long as they get paid.

Plus Bell is probably among others that treat their existing customers like they are not even worth talking to anymore after they get your business. Offering new customers deals and promotions and never rewarding their long time customers with anything but an arrogant and rude attitude is the sad state that Bell is in today. When they had a monopoly on phone services they actually provided the best phone services in the world. Then the government came along and forced in competition and the sharing of Bell's infrastructure. Now look at the crap we have ...

I have Bell as of about 8 months ago... prior to that I was with Cogeco for 15 years. Here's my tally sheet:

Cogeco service sucks - Bells sucks worse

Cogeco internet speed was not bad - Bells is faster in my area

Cogeco technology for multiple TV's sucks - Bells WIFI system and central PVR is great

Cogeco is stupid expensive - Bell is slightly better ONLY because I got a 2 year deal.

The outcome for me? When this two years is up, I'm going to take the advise of my adult sons and dump the whole system once and for all. I'm tired of paying the Cable Mafia because they're all the same. I'm going to get a good internet plan and cell phone package..period. The home phone and cable TV is history. There is more than enough content on Netflix, Android boxes and online streaming to keep me entertained.

I have Bell as of about 8 months ago... prior to that I was with Cogeco for 15 years. Here's my tally sheet:

Cogeco service sucks - Bells sucks worse

Cogeco internet speed was not bad - Bells is faster in my area

Cogeco technology for multiple TV's sucks - Bells WIFI system and central PVR is great

Cogeco is stupid expensive - Bell is slightly better ONLY because I got a 2 year deal.

The outcome for me? When this two years is up, I'm going to take the advise of my adult sons and dump the whole system once and for all. I'm tired of paying the Cable Mafia because they're all the same. I'm going to get a good internet plan and cell phone package..period. The home phone and cable TV is history. There is more than enough content on Netflix, Android boxes and online streaming to keep me entertained.

We went this route a short while ago, and are saving a good bit of money every month because of it. We went with Rogers because we felt they had a better Internet-only package, and found their customer service easy to work with. Bought a Roku and signed up for Netflix and Wild TV. Haven't looked back since.

Line of site seems to be an issue. Large tree line along the shoreline. Shaw is offering an introductory deal. $49.99 plus, plus, plus. They don't say what the bundle packages are or how much they charge. I am going to need a microscope to read the macro print on the bottom of the page. It is so small it's ridiculous. I thought that there was some law made to stop this unreadable print. I will go online and see what the actual cost is. My Bell Sat TV picture is crystal clear. Many friends that come over have commented how great a picture we get. 7 year old Samsung LED.I have seen Shaw Sat. and it doesn't compare. Might be a cheap HDMI cable or the TV's I have seen. I have had huge problems with Bell over the years, like a $1800.00 expresvu bill for a 56K dial up 15 years ago. A "demon dialer" was the culprit and Bell would not take responsibility for it. A Class Action suit developed as I wasn't the only victim. That is a too long story and ancient history anyway.

Line of site seems to be an issue. Large tree line along the shoreline. Shaw is offering an introductory deal. $49.99 plus, plus, plus. They don't say what the bundle packages are or how much they charge. I am going to need a microscope to read the macro print on the bottom of the page. It is so small it's ridiculous. I thought that there was some law made to stop this unreadable print. I will go online and see what the actual cost is. My Bell Sat TV picture is crystal clear. Many friends that come over have commented how great a picture we get. 7 year old Samsung LED.I have seen Shaw Sat. and it doesn't compare. Might be a cheap HDMI cable or the TV's I have seen. I have had huge problems with Bell over the years, like a $1800.00 expresvu bill for a 56K dial up 15 years ago. A "demon dialer" was the culprit and Bell would not take responsibility for it. A Class Action suit developed as I wasn't the only victim. That is a too long story and ancient history anyway.

There is a law, I know it very well I read a ton of "legal" every day. Minimum type size is 6 pt, and we give you no more. It does NOT say how condensed the type can be or how "light."

They cram in as much as possible. So some of my clients set the type in the lightest type possible so when it goes to print you can't read it but it's there for "LEGAL" reasons lol.

I just updated to the latest Shaw HD box & new TV and the picture is from night and day from the old one... there shouldn't be any difference between Bell & Rogers if they're comparable equipment.

I would just be crushed if I switch over and the picture isn't as good. I will go to the Shaw site and see what quality it comes in at. Bell is supposed to be 1080p.

edit: I went to the Shaw site and built the package we have with Bell now. It comes in almost to the dollar what we pay for Bell now. The only difference is I would have to get a second receiver and would not get the promo being offered which is a free DVR which I think is for a limited time only. The rep on the phone said HBO was available but I don't see it in any of their packages.

I will stay with Bell for now.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I would just be crushed if I switch over and the picture isn't as good. I will go to the Shaw site and see what quality it comes in at. Bell is supposed to be 1080p.

Yes, the only 1080p provider in Canada. Also the SD channels still work in bad storms while the HD might fail.

If you tell them that you are thinking of switching, they may offer you some incentives. Unfortunately, that seems to be the only way to get a deal from either Bell or Rogers.

They all have a loyalty team to keep you when you call to cancel