Backyard Syrup

mike rousseau

Good day

So as we all have a bit of cabin fever the family decided to make a bit of maple syrup

Looked and found that home hardware sells a 5 pail kit with taps and lids for $40... For $40 I figure it's about the same as going to the movies so if we have some outdoor fun and get a few litres of syrup it'll be money well spent

So we got the kit and tapped some trees at our cottage

We put 2 pails on the biggest maple and single pails on 3 other smaller maples... all the smaller trees were running fast enough right away but the big maple didn't give up a drop... I'm going to go check Wednesday to see how things are flowing and relocate pails if they aren't producing... cause if that big maple doesn't produce that's 40% of my production lol

I'm not even sure what kind of maples they are... if I understand right it doesn't matter what kind of maple but anything other than sugar maple requires more sap to get a litre of syrup... 40:1 sugar maple and 60:1 other maples

Anyone have any tips?

I've been told not to add to much sap to the pot at a time cause you dont wanna lose your boil

If I get a litre every Sunday when we boil I'll be pretty happy with that

Thanks

Mike

Don't tap silver maples haha. That's a funny, and probably easy mistake to make when you first start.

Red (soft) or Sugar (hard) both produce good. The hard is hands-down better, but the reds still produce. You'll see the tips (buds) of the 'Reds' turn a fairly bright red this time or year.

I noticed that my smaller trees produced earlier than most big ones.

Your tree-wells look good for tapping (the ring of melt around the truck base). We still have 3-4 feet of snow, I have another month before I setup my equipment.

Have fun and good luck! I love doing syrup.