How would you interpret this

Dara

http://files.ontario.ca/environment-and-energy/fishing/2017/2017_FMZ_13_14_English.pdf

Page 67 of regs

Exceptions

It says that St Marys river is open for walleye starting may 15 and that limit is 4

below that is itemizes an area in Laird township, pumpkin point that limit is zero from April 1 to June 15

Does this mean you can't fish there or that you can only catch and release?

A CO says the area is closed to fishing but I don't understand, in other places they list sanctuaries where I understand its closed

This says zero limit, not closed

'Zero limit" means you can target the fish but C&R only. Closed means no targeting of that species or no fishing at all in the case of a sanctuary. The zero limit is covered on the top right corner of page 7 of the regs which reads:

If the limit is zero, anglers may practise catch and release only, and any fish caught must be released immediately back into the water in a manner that does not harm the fish.

Edited by G.mech

St. Marys River, Lake George - in the

waters of Laird Twp., from Pumpkin

Point upstream to the Laird Twp.

boundary.

Walleye S - 0 and C - 0 from Apr. 1 - June 15.

Tell the Co you are fishing for Northern Pike, or Rainbow Trout or Bluegill or Whitefish. They are all in season in that area. The regs are written as 0 (zero) posession, not as a sanctuary.

St. Marys River, Lake George - in the
waters of Laird Twp., from Pumpkin
Point upstream to the Laird Twp.
boundary.
Walleye S - 0 and C - 0 from Apr. 1 - June 15.
Tell the Co you are fishing for Northern Pike, or Rainbow Trout or Bluegill or Whitefish. They are all in season in that area. The regs are written as 0 (zero) posession, not as a sanctuary.

Even at zero possession, you can still practice C&R legally.

Thanks. That's what I figured. This area has a river running into it that is a sanctuary but it's in a different zone due to lake George St Mary's river being Great Lakes zone

It has always been known as a sanctuary and nobody fishes it but the wording is just wrong.

Last night a friend was at his fish club meeting and a CO was visiting to answer questions

My friend asked this and the CO was adamant that charges would be laid for anybody fishing there

Oh well. Can't fight city hall as they say

Michigan is 1000 yards away and legal

What if you gut hook the fish and kill it? Are you obligated to put it back dead (therefore violating the laws regarding wasting meat) or keep it and get busted for fishing for the fish out of season?

Ive asked a co this when confronted about keeping an OOS bass (ughhh)

Its up to the CO to make that call.

I was fine because I covered my butt with a picture of a leadhead jig caught in the fishes gills and bleeding badly.

He said that was a good idea.

the fish dies im putting it back in the lake if my limit is zero. i might at least cut the swim bladder out of it to ensure that it sinks rather then letting the turd hawks eat it.

I'm guessing if you put a knife to it and a CO see's you, charges will be laid. No matter how honorable the intentions.

My son just bought a drone...that thing flies high and you can't hear it in the wind so don't ever think you are alone

Edited by Dara

Here is the link to the 200 'Ask a CO' questions and answers from the Ministry. I don't feel like going through them all again but somewhere in there it says a slot size or out of season fish must be released regardless of its condition. Again, not trying to make sense of it or defend it but that's what the answer was.

http://www.outdoorontario.net/AskMNR/mnrfaqfish.html

Edit:

Slow morning at G.mech's house so I waded through the Q&A's and found this in Q#168:

Question 124:

What should a person do if they were to hook a walleye that would definately not survive if released due to the way is was hooked? Is it up to a C.O.'s discretion or must it still be released? Also, once a person has caught their limit of walleye (be it in a boat with other anglers who haven't yet caught their limit or alone), can he still fish for others species of fish in that same area and release any walleye that are caught? Can he give any additional walleye to others in the boat as part of their catch?

Asked June 28/00

Answer from the MNR

I am assuming from the context of your question that the walleye that you were referring to was in some way illegal. Otherwise, its butter and flour time! The answer, if the fish is illegal (out of season, under or over size, over limit, illegal gear, etc.) is that the fish must be immediately returned to the water. By regulation, this must be done in a manner which causes the least amount of harm to the fish. Even if the fish were dead, it must be returned.

Regarding your second question, you may continue to fish for other species of fish and if it so happens, and you incidentally catch more walleye they must be returned to the water immediately, as above. I would suggest that you should be using different equipment and lures than that which you used to catch your limit and that which your buddies are using to attempt to take walleye. This would demonstrate to an officer that you are indeed angling for another species and not attempting to catch more walleye for the rest of your party or high-grade your catch.

You absolutely cannot give your over limit fish to others in the boat as a part of their catch. There are no provisions for "party fishing".

Also, many of these questions are quite old but I think most of the interpretations are still valid. I did however notice a couple of specific questions around bait, moving live fish, limits, & sanctuaries etc that are outdated due to some regulation changes.....

Edited by G.mech