A question about transporting game fish.

Old Ironmaker

The original question was can the non licensed person given the fish be able to "transport the fish" from point A to point B and the answer is yes. If the fish are clearly id'd. The crazy thing I have learned is that a non licensed person can possess more fish than I can with my conservation licence. So my non licensed, non fisherman room mate/wife/son/daughter/renter/mother in law/ stranger on the couch can possess a full sportsman limit on their side of the fridge and I can only possess for my conservation limit on my side of the fridge. The same goes for anyone else that lives there. They can have more fish possession than I can and I'm the one paying for an Outdoors card and license. C'mon Man!

I think it needs to be thought of like this...

A conservation license is an "opt in" - you're sort of declaring that you want to follow conservation practices, and in return you get to go fishing for a wee bit less license money, if that's your thing.

Isn't it against the spirit of the whole conservation "opt in" to then complain "hey, my non-fishing, non-licensed neighbor gets to possess more fish than I do!"

The unlicensed neighbors/friends aren't impacting the fish count in the lakes or rivers at all.

Edited by MJIG

The original question was can the non licensed person given the fish be able to "transport the fish" from point A to point B and the answer is yes. If the fish are clearly id'd. The crazy thing I have learned is that a non licensed person can possess more fish than I can with my conservation licence. So my non licensed, non fisherman room mate/wife/son/daughter/renter/mother in law/ stranger on the couch can possess a full sportsman limit on their side of the fridge and I can only possess for my conservation limit on my side of the fridge. The same goes for anyone else that lives there. They can have more fish possession than I can and I'm the one paying for an Outdoors card and license. C'mon Man!

You had the chance to buy the sports license but you opted to buy the conservation one instead,so you should not complain if a non fisher person can posses 4 fish,you made the choice not them.

I think it needs to be thought of like this...

A conservation license is an "opt in" - you're sort of declaring that you want to follow conservation practices, and in return you get to go fishing for a wee bit less license money, if that's your thing.

Isn't it against the spirit of the whole conservation "opt in" to then complain "hey, my non-fishing, non-licensed neighbor gets to possess more fish than I do!"

The unlicensed neighbors/friends aren't impacting the fish count in the lakes or rivers at all.

You have a GREAT point and I must agree with that argument.........HOWEVER, I still believe since my wife/girlfriend who doesn't have a license is entitled to 4 possession walleyes for herself.......thus giving us the right to have a total of 6 possession walleyes in the freezer.

But the whole thing really doesn't apply to me because I gave up buying a fishing license years ago.... :w00t:

But this makes a nice friendly winter argument among friends..... did anyone see any robins yet...... B)

Quite the video, but I question the lack of damage to the bluegill, no knife marks from filleting the fish, maybe got lucky. But then, how many times have you ever seen the head of an eaten fish pointing forward? I would think the pike would have a hard time swallowing with the dorsal spines pointing backwards.

Quite the video, but I question the lack of damage to the bluegill, no knife marks from filleting the fish, maybe got lucky. But then, how many times have you ever seen the head of an eaten fish pointing forward? I would think the pike would have a hard time swallowing with the dorsal spines pointing backwards.

The head was pointing towards the back.

The following are cut and pasted from the 'Ask a CO' on Outdoorontario.net:

http://www.outdoorontario.net/AskMNR/mnrfaqfish.html

Question 38:

Does a person need a fishing licence if they have fish (ie. salmon) in their possession (freezer) even if the fish was given to them? Can i legally give a fish i caught to someone who doesn't have a licence or might they be in violation of the act?

Answer from the MNR:

There is absolutely no problem with you giving fish to a friend or anyone else and they do not need a fishing licence. The same goes for game and is widely used by hunters who have participated in the OFAH food for the need y project.

That being said, there are a couple of points to remember.

a) Those fish still are part of your daily limit. In other words you cannot take your girlfriend out fishing with you even though she does not fish, but ‘give’ her a limit, so that you can catch a second limit on the same day. The actual wording is “catch and retain in one day or possess”. You could, however, catch a limit of walleyes today, take them home and give them to your mother-in-law (hey, this is hypothetical!) then go out the next day and catch a limit for yourself. Remember that fish in your freezer are part of your limit, so you cannot have six, ten, or twenty limits of walleye in your freezer at home, even though you only took them six per day.

Possession limits apply to the receiving individual as well.

Question 164:

This has already been answered, but I have been told a CO has given a different response, so I'm just checking again. Sorry to be repetitive:

An angler catches his limit of, say, 2 lakers and gives them to his neighbor who does not fish and has no fishing licence. The next day, same angler catches another two lakers and again gives them to the same neighbor. This goes on until the neighbor has 18 lakers in his freezer.

The response in Question 38 says this is illegal. I.e., an angler may give away his daily limit (although be may not continue fishing that day), but the recipient is then bound by the possession limit and hence cannot have in his freezer more than that. I assume that if there are other members in the household, each of them could also have their limit, so that unless there are 9 people in the house, having 18 lakers in the freezer is illegal. But a reliable source just told me a CO told him this is perfectly OK. Comments?

Answer from the MNR

This is correct as is the response to Question 38. One person can have his/her possession limit and no more, regardless if they possess a fishing licence or not.

Question 164a:

Related to this, is the possession limit for the recipient the same as what the angler has? I.e., if the angler has a conservation licence, is the recipient of the fish bound by conservation limits?

Answer from the MNR

The possession limit for the recipient is that of a regular (non-conservation) licence.

Question 164b:

I got the feeling talking to the person that the confusion arises due to the neighbor not being licenced, as though the regulations apply only to licenced anglers physically out there fishing. I.e, if somebody gives you a fish, you are not bound by the regs. To add to the confusion, Question 66, which asks if it is illegal to possess a fish if you don't have a licence is still "with MNR for clarification". Perhaps that question and lack of reply has spawned the above

Answer from the MNR

It is legal to possess fish without an angling licence.

Answer from the MNR is total Bull as a blanket statement....

Doesn't address the fact that under 16 or over 65 you can fish without a licence much less be in possession of fish... Used to give fish to my grandmother who NEVER had a licence in her life, but as a senior she was OBVIOUSLY fully entitled to have a sportman's possession limit of EVERY type of fish at any time, because she could have legally fished for them and gotten them herself without a licence!!!!

So whoever posted that from the MNR needs to go back retake their training course (do they even had one? LOL)

Answer from the MNR is total Bull as a blanket statement....

Doesn't address the fact that under 16 or over 65 you can fish without a licence much less be in possession of fish... Used to give fish to my grandmother who NEVER had a licence in her life, but as a senior she was OBVIOUSLY fully entitled to have a sportman's possession limit of EVERY type of fish at any time, because she could have legally fished for them and gotten them herself without a licence!!!!

So whoever posted that from the MNR needs to go back retake their training course (do they even had one? LOL)

That is what the answer says doesn't it?? It says someone without a license (regardless of age) can possess a sportsman's limit....not sure what you are reading differently.

Edited by G.mech

2 things:

1) The labeling of the fish isn't really covered in black and white anywhere that I can find but based on my interactions with the OMNR&F I don't think it would be necessary in this scenario (i.e a recipient transporting no more than their limit of fish). Where it comes in from my experience is this. The MNR has suggested that if you are transporting your limit of fish as well as another fisherman's who isn't with you that it would be a very good idea if they were all be labelled since you are in fact in possession of more than your limit. Even labelled, you are still not 100% in the clear and could still be in trouble if you can't convince a CO that the other person(s) was in fact fishing with you and is travelling separately. It's kind of like the fact that you need to make sure you can prove that you did in fact fish for two days in areas where you are allowed a double possession limit (100 perch possession limit on Lake Simcoe for example). Sadly, this would be a discretionary thing that most of us here don't really like since we all prefer black/white, yes/no sort of rules.

2) You are correct that an unlicensed angler currently can posses more than you can with your Conservation license. May not seem right or fair but that's just the way she goes. The upside is that you can go fishing and they cannot!

Edited by G.mech

G. Mech, I am 99% positive that the regs state a portion of skin must be left on the fish if it has been cleaned in order to clearly I.D. the species. I need to check my PDF.

I don't see how I can transport a limit of fish beyond what my license allows. Of course I can't catch 12 Walleye and bring them home saying 1 limit is for my wife at home. Or because it's my cooler I can travel with more than my possession limit when alone. I don't see how that's legal. But thinking about it I have done it coming home when the big cooler is in my boat and a second vehicle with zero catch is traveling behind me.

I don't know the last time I actually kept a full limit of fish.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

So with a conservation license I keep my limit of only 2 walleyes. Once I get home I can then give them to the wife. The next day I can do the same because she has no license. Now the freezer has 4 walleyes. Then next day I go out again and keep another 2 walleyes, so the freezer now has a total of 6 walleyes because she doesn't have ANY fishing license and we are 100% legal at this point. However, if she also had a conservation license we would be over the limit by two walleyes.......DOES NOT MAKE ANY SENSE when you think about it.

the CO would laugh and say nice try, then hand you a fine for being over limit. think about it rationally, you live in the SAME house. so you have a freezer with 2 limits in it, you're the only one with a license. the CO will reasonably come up with the conclusion that you caught the fish. a judge would decide the same thing.

i think the only way this would work is if there a kid that does not require a license, kids 17 or younger are exempt from having a license. or if you are over the age of 64.

the CO would laugh and say nice try, then hand you a fine for being over limit. think about it rationally, you live in the SAME house. so you have a freezer with 2 limits in it, you're the only one with a license. the CO will reasonably come up with the conclusion that you caught the fish. a judge would decide the same thing.

i think the only way this would work is if there a kid that does not require a license, kids 17 or younger are exempt from having a license. or if you are over the age of 64.

What is the relevance of who caught the fish?

It is legal to give fish away to an unlicensed angler. Once given, they count to the recipients limit (which is a sport fishing limit for unlicensed anglers); so the angler can go out again and catch another limit.

I don't think it would become illegal just because they live in the same house. Although, they may need to able to identify who owns which fish.

G. Mech, I am 99% positive that the regs state a portion of skin must be left on the fish if it has been cleaned in order to clearly I.D. the species. I need to check my PDF.

I don't see how I can transport a limit of fish beyond what my license allows. Of course I can't catch 12 Walleye and bring them home saying 1 limit is for my wife at home. Or because it's my cooler I can travel with more than my possession limit when alone. I don't see how that's legal. But thinking about it I have done it coming home when the big cooler is in my boat and a second vehicle with zero catch is traveling behind me.

I don't know the last time I actually kept a full limit of fish.

Oh sorry your are absolutely right on that account they need to be easily identifiable and countable until they are being prepared for consumption. When you said 'identified' I was thinking you meant with the anglers name and stuff but that was an earlier discussion...

That is what the answer says doesn't it?? It says someone without a license (regardless of age) can possess a sportsman's limit....not sure what you are reading differently.

Good catch.... I got the non existant (non conservation) licence they mentioned in red confused with the real sports fishing licence in the reply.... (non conservation) isn't a real thing that they sell so I mistakenly took it as they meant a conservation tag. When seniors and minors are entitled to full sport fishing licences and so are other people, why not just WRITE sport fishing instead of (non conservation)? LOL

My bad, for quickly skimming through it...

BTW I got carded today while drowning worms on a trout trib. Very high drama operation with 2 C.O.s, One was hiding behind some boats in the marina, who we could all see anyhow, while the other one came down and did a walk about in plain clothes. Then they both swooped down in full gear to find everyone all legal and legitimate. They seemed upset when 2 of us genuinely praised them for actually being out checking though? I ALWAYS say I am happy to see either OPP or a CO in the field checking, to whomever is doing the checking...

Also there must be a plan to keep COs in the ministry's future as I don't think either of these lads were over 25, so that is good too see as well.

What is the relevance of who caught the fish?

It is legal to give fish away to an unlicensed angler. Once given, they count to the recipients limit (which is a sport fishing limit for unlicensed anglers); so the angler can go out again and catch another limit.

I don't think it would become illegal just because they live in the same house. Although, they may need to able to identify who owns which fish.

they would then need to prove that the fish was given to them by someone not living at the same place. if i were a CO, and i was walking into a situation where someone recieved a full daily limit, i would question it. 1or 2 fish, sure, but a full limit? who gives away a full limit unless they are trying to hide it?

they would then need to prove that the fish was given to them by someone not living at the same place. if i were a CO, and i was walking into a situation where someone recieved a full daily limit, i would question it. 1or 2 fish, sure, but a full limit? who gives away a full limit unless they are trying to hide it?

You can question it all you want; but an unlicensed person is legally allowed to receive a limit of fish. I still don't see anywhere in the regulations where the person giving the fish has to live in a separate residence.

If you were a CO how would you get into their house in the first place

Gotta be evidence of a lot of game laws being broken to get that warrant

If you were a CO how would you get into their house in the first place

Gotta be evidence of a lot of game laws being broken to get that warrant

suspicion of being over limit is more than enough to get a visit. couple guys on rice were just fined 12,000 for being over limit on walleye. i know people that have been pulled over, and since they were the one with the cooler full of fish, and their buddies didn't stop, the CO charged them with being over limit