Reviews of All Weather Tires (Not All Seasons)

huzzsaba

Just want to get some reviews from you folks on All weather tires if running them especially things like road noise.

Again, Looking for reviews on All weather tires (which is a new category of tires) and NOT all seasons. All Weather tires are winter tires that can be used all year round.

I am looking for reviews for the following tires for my Volvo XC90 SUV with AWD.

Nokian WRG2 (used since they are discontinued)
Nokian WRG3
Nordman WR (supposedly these are the old WRG2 rebranded)
Toyo Celcius CUV
Yokohama Geolandar AT G015

Edited by huzzsaba

Sorry I don't have those brands.

I use Hankook all weather. Road noise low.

Tire wear ok if driving less then 25k a year.

Traction way better then All season. 8/10.

If you don't have to go on the hwy when it's real bad then these are great tires.

x2. Put them on my wife's CRV and my daughters Cruze and am pretty surprised how good they work. Both are low mileage vehicles so wear is not really that big a concern. Two less sets for me to store and change every year, I win!

Edited by G.mech

Sorry I don't have those brands.

I use Hankook all weather. Road noise low.

Tire wear ok if driving less then 25k a year.

Traction way better then All season. 8/10.

If you don't have to go on the hwy when it's real bad then these are great tires.

Thanks Glen and Gmech for your replies.

Are these the ones exclusively sold at Canadian Tire?

Are they like summer tires that can be driven in winter? Marketers come up with something every day to sell more stuff.

Huzz, go to the websites for tire retailers that sell those brands and see how they are rated from 0 to 100 for performance, includes braking on ice, snow, noise, wear etc. To get a specific tire that is used by fellow members here is a long shot. I am a Hankook or Cooper tire customer. I recommend both. There are so many tires out there it was mind boggling choosing 1 snow tire this fall. I was in info overload. For best value Firestone always has a sale on. I replaced Firestones on the car after 6 seasons.

Its good to know the hankooks are good and that is the reason I am asking here. I asked the same question on a car forum and the response was to check tire rack for reviews lol, which I already did.

Unfortunately the Hankooks dont come in th esize I need unless. hopefully they start making SUV size tires.

Are they like summer tires that can be driven in winter? Marketers come up with something every day to sell more stuff.

Huzz, go to the websites for tire retailers that sell those brands and see how they are rated from 0 to 100 for performance, includes braking on ice, snow, noise, wear etc. To get a specific tire that is used by fellow members here is a long shot. I am a Hankook or Cooper tire customer. I recommend both. There are so many tires out there it was mind boggling choosing 1 snow tire this fall. I was in info overload. For best value Firestone always has a sale on. I replaced Firestones on the car after 6 seasons.

There are lots of tests and reports on these tires and most are pretty positive, google them if you want. They've been around for a few years now but are just becoming more popular in North America. Obviously they're not quite as good as purpose built snow tire in winter or an all season in summer but they are a very good compromise for those who don't travel a lot of miles in extreme conditions.

Edited by G.mech

Thanks for the education G.Mech. We need a good winter tire here on the Erie lakeshore. My wife puts on 70KMS a day at least in poorly maintain roads. Just today she woke to find a layer of ice on the road. She took the Altima with the new Hancooks on it rather than the truck with big aggressive Coopers, they don't have the snowflake on them so they may be All Weather tires, need to check that, It wasn't in the budget to buy 12 new tires and 4 new rims. She said the car was better on the ice than the truck tires. I finally convinced her to drive the 4X4 Chev this winter, I can feel an argument, I mean discussion in the near future. I think she should drive what she is more comfortable with. The car has over 300,000 kms, so I want to baby it a bit. I told her many times it doesn't matter what tires she has if she can't keep the vehicle under 120 KMS per hour.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

The all weather tires do have the 'snowflake' meaning they are an approved winter tire and you can still get your insurance discount.

The main reason I am looking at All weathers is in case I have to downsize (moving next year) I want to avoid having a second set of tires taking up space plus the headache of seasonal changeover.

The fact that they are approved for winter tire discount is the second reason for getting them.

So far unless hankook decides to come out with my size by next winter, looks like I must narrow it down to the the other 3 (Nokian, Yokohama, Toyo).

Yokohama geolandar G015 is a fairly new tire so not much in the way of reviews.

Toyo Celsius CUV also a fairly new tire.

Nokians I have heard mixed reviews as far as noise is concerned.

Thanks for the info thus far.

Edited by huzzsaba

On any reviews I have seen there are always a few that dislike the same item that got rave reviews from others so I always take online reviews with a grain of salt. Just like recently someone was saying they had nothing but trouble with their Nissan Altima, ours is the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. I have been destroying cars since 1970. I will never own another Chrysler vehicle for the rest of my life, I couldn't give away a Intrepid I had that looked to be in very good condition, a $1000.00 transmission communication computer every 20,000 kilometers, I scrapped the clean shinny car with 200,000 kms on it. My brother in law that worked for GM in St. Kitts will drive only Chrysler products and has since he was 16, he's 70 now.

The main reason I am looking at All weathers is in case I have to downsize (moving next year) I want to avoid having a second set of tires taking up space plus the headache of seasonal changeover.

The fact that they are approved for winter tire discount is the second reason for getting them.

So far unless hankook decides to come out with my size by next winter, looks like I must narrow it down to the the other 3 (Nokian, Yokohama, Toyo).

Yokohama geolandar G015 is a fairly new tire so not much in the way of reviews.

Toyo Celsius CUV also a fairly new tire.

Nokians I have heard mixed reviews as far as noise is concerned.

Thanks for the info thus far.

I actually changed tire sizes when replacing mine on the Honda.

Stock was 245/65/16 and I went to 245/70/16. They are a tad taller but there are many more options in that size.

What size are stock on your vehicle?

I actually changed tire sizes when replacing mine on the Honda.

Stock was 245/65/16 and I went to 245/70/16. They are a tad taller but there are many more options in that size.

What size are stock on your vehicle?

235 60 18 is the stock. I currently run 255 55 18 on them and can run 235 65 18s but hankook makes none of those sizes :( . Looks like Nokians are the best bet.

No experience with all weather tires but I have noticed them on the market. As someone who enjoys a drive of a decent performance tires for 3 seasons and the added safety of a winter tire I wouldn't get or recommend the 'all weather' tire unless the alternative was to keep all season tire year long.

I would recommend not going with a different size unless the overall diameter stays the same, depending on the car going with a taller tire will cause tire rubbing esp when turning, and speedometer and odometer will not be as accurate.

I am kind of leaning towards the yokohama geolandar g015. I'm assuming folks with pickup trucks would prefer this tire since it looks pretty beefy . For the most part, the limited reviews shows its a pretty good tire.

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/geolandar_a_t_g015

Edited by huzzsaba

I have Coopers on the Silverado, great tires, very aggressive tread and no road noise other than normal. Got out of a 5' high drift last year to test the tires put it in 4 low, no problem. Made a U turn on a beach and found myself buried to the axles, that was not a test. I thought for sure I would need a tow but again hopped right out. They are not winter rated.

I am kind of leaning towards the yokohama geolandar g015. I'm assuming folks with pickup trucks would prefer this tire since it looks pretty beefy . For the most part, the limited reviews shows its a pretty good tire.

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/geolandar_a_t_g015

the geolanders are not an all-weather tire, they are an all terrain tire that happens to have a snowflake rating as well and thus satisfy the insurance discount. goodyear duratracs are another tire that fall into this category. all terrain (and all weather, for that matter) tires will never be as good as a dedicated snows but should be 'good enough'.

personally, i run an all-terrain tires spring, summer and fall and dedicated snows in the winter on my grand cherokee. while i havent tried the all-weather tires, i don't like the idea of compromising. plus having two sets of wheel/tire combos makes all terrains last longer.