lost a trailer plate

kickingfrog

That's from the MTO but the cops write tickets based on the Highway Traffic Act and I think it just states one red light.

It would still be a bad idea tow a trailer after dark like that, but a licence plate light isn't necessary.

Somewhere in the book it also mentions that you must maintain the lighting the way it was designed by the manufacturer, if it came with 2 lights, then that's the minimum. I'm too lazy right now, but I'll go the extra mile to ensure people can see the trailer in low light conditions. No point in garnering interest from a Leo or MTO.

Think about it... if you came upon a trailer with only 1 light and you could not see the vehicle pulling the trailer... how would you know if said vehicle was turning right or left if you could not see the the lights on towing vehicle :rolleyes::w00t::whistling: something to think about when it comes to LOGIC

we all agree it's stupid and dangerous, I'm just saying you can't get a ticket for it, so show me where it says more than 1 red light is required in the Highway Traffic Act or give an example of someone getting ticketed??????????????

cops write tickets based on the Highway Traffic Act not your etrailer.com crap

Edited by chris.brock

I want my boat trailer lit up like an 18 wheeler. I don't drive much at night anymore but if I do it's generally because I'm heading out early or coming home late with the boat. Why anyone would try to get away with the minimum lighting is beyond me guys. it's not expensive, maybe not cool? I don't know. As far as a light for the plate my tail light/signal assembly on the left side of the trailer has a white light in it to shine on the plate below. The right side does not. I have read that that the plate must be lit in Ontario, I don't know where, it doesn't matter. If it isn't law your going to loose a day of your life telling it to a Judge in some town hours from home because your not getting a ticket where you live you are getting a ticket 8 hours up north. I'm going to ask my pals OPP son when he's home for our Golf Tourney on Labour Day Saturday.

Out in the boonies a STOP sign on our side roads and concessions is basically a suggestion, especially at night. A Fisherville stop is looking down the cross road as far as possible both ways and continuing at 100K, maybe slow down to 80, it's scary out here at night. The first time I rode at night with locals it was scary, the guy says as I'm stomping my imaginary passenger side brake pedal as he's doing 110 in a 80 approaching the imaginary STOP " are we good there slicker? Now hand me a beer, my whiskey is good." I swear. Coming across a truck or car load of people, usually kids coming back to the cottage from the bars at 02:30 out in cottage country generally isn't coming home or going to work.

This thread actually is reminding me to get strips of some hi tech reflector for the thing. My to do list for the boat is to change out my mini side markers to something that can actually seen other than a little 1" amber marker. I switched to halogen tail lights last fall, big difference. I don't think a trailer can be over lit. I just don't get why you would try to get away with the minimum.

we all agree it's stupid and dangerous, I'm just saying you can't get a ticket for it, so show me where it says more than 1 red light is required in the Highway Traffic Act or give an example of someone getting ticketed??????????????

cops write tickets based on the Highway Traffic Act not your etrailer.com crap

There are new safety inspection requirement that came into affect July 1st.

This is what they say about license plate lights.

license-plate lamp

Would fail inspection if.

- not white, fails to illuminate license plate when operated by headlamp control

- lamp not shielded from projecting light rearward.

Yes this is for light duty and passenger vehicles; but it also includes trailers.

I can't find the actual highway traffic act number for this; but if you search E-Law long enough you will.

Up until these up dated regs, the only light that a cop could write you up for is no license plate light. Once the cops get up to speed on these new regulations they'll be able to write you up on any light on the vehicle the is not functioning as intended.

Here's a link to the new safety regs reference hand book,

If it's in the safety inspection regs, a cop can act on them.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/pdfs/passenger-light-duty-vehicle-inspection-standard.pdf

Dan.

I think you all worry too much. Do you really think a cop is going to waste their time pulling you over for no plate light on your trailer??

Mount the plate in a location it can be seen, and you wont lose it, and go fish. There are bigger things to worry about.

S.

If your trailer is less than 30" wide you are allowed only 1 red tail light plus 2 reflectors either side.... over 30" 2 red tail brake lights and signal lights ... your signal lights do not need to be red.. can be amber for your signals only .... you need to dig deeper into the laws....

What would you use a 30" wide trailer for ? ?

?

Edited by stonefish