Summer Games: Rio 2016

FloatnFly

Between this fiasco, corruption in the bidding process and politics of the Olympic Commitee and rampant drug use of some countries maybe it is time to fold the tent permanently on this spectacle.

edit : the saddest thing is seeing pictures of these derelict facilities 10 or more years down the road, what a waste

Edited by dave524

This Olympic Games every 2 years is becoming a lost cause. I read that host city hopefuls are backing out at great numbers for future fiascos. It has become nothing more than All Star pros playing each other. The amateurs that deserve to be there are home watching on TV a bunch of millionaires that want to add a Gold medal to their trophy cases, sad. Then there are the thousands of Rio citizens that have been thrown out of their tin shacks onto the streets to use the land for this disgusting show. Just the millions of dollars spent on creating a championship golf course in Rio could have housed every homeless person in that city. Basically golf does not exist in Brazil, only 2 other courses in Rio and they are private. What will they use it for next month?

If this were the last Olympic Games under the current format I will be quite happy.

I think Rory McElroy has it right.

Yea, cities have begun opening their eyes, the cost of the games is too high, think Vancouver is the only one that the games didn't hurt, in recent history. But they had the world class facilities in place already, with Whistler for all the skiing events, and then an NHL arena. Think the only thing they had to build was the village, bobsled and speed skating venue. Rio was a very controversial venue right from the get go, many wondering why it was chosen to begin with.

Knowing the amount of corruption and general Bull surrounding these games I couldn't be less interested. It's funny because I was driving around a bit this morning to different job sites and I don't think the Olympics was mentioned once on the FAN590 except for programming alerts. CBC radio on the other hand was trumpeting it pretty hard. Still strange though considering the opening ceremonies are tonight and Sportsnet is one of the programming partners, but the radio hosts didn't really even care to talk about it.

Only Olympic hype on the networks that are carrying it, no one cares, not here in Canada anyway. It's now a corporate bi annual event. I watched the opening ceremony for 2 total minutes, how exiting watching athletes walk and wave. What was with those carts with the pretty girls on them? I will watch the 100 meter final, and that is it.

This Olympic Games every 2 years is becoming a lost cause. I read that host city hopefuls are backing out at great numbers for future fiascos. It has become nothing more than All Star pros playing each other. The amateurs that deserve to be there are home watching on TV a bunch of millionaires that want to add a Gold medal to their trophy cases, sad. Then there are the thousands of Rio citizens that have been thrown out of their tin shacks onto the streets to use the land for this disgusting show. Just the millions of dollars spent on creating a championship golf course in Rio could have housed every homeless person in that city. Basically golf does not exist in Brazil, only 2 other courses in Rio and they are private. What will they use it for next month?

If this were the last Olympic Games under the current format I will be quite happy.

I think Rory McElroy has it right.

What did Rory say?

Good points OI.

Im in no way shape or form interested in the illympic games these days.

Different story when I was a kiddo!

Oh and skateboarding just got added in 4 years???

Have fun with that gong show

i'll watch the track events, and volleyball, both beach and indoor. and hope Canada can take gold in soccer this time round. I refuse to watch basketball, because you already know whos going to win. at least with hockey its a crap shoot on whos going to win.

There is so much negativity about the games and rightly so. To the media it makes a better story and if you don't like sports nothing can make you watch. It's the athletes that make it great. The achievements and the dedication to training to get there is something spectacular in itself.

Some of the upsets in competition and performances of a lifetime by up and comers can sure pull on the heart strings, at least with me anyhow. Go Canada Go!