You should not be here my feathered friend. FR as I was on my way to fish.LOL

misfish

I know when Im traveling at the wee early morning hours, encounters with wild life can happen. This morning was crazy. Just managed to miss a porcupine, and thankfully some farmers old dog that crossed the road. But the third encounter was nothing in my wildest thoughts.

What the hell is he/she, doing standing in the middle of the road at 4:15 AM.

DSCF3228_zpsb9ckkcna.jpg

DSCF3229_zpsy6arvlsl.jpg

It did fly off after I honked the horn.

I was laughing my ass off.

LOL probably this years young one thought that the black was water or missed the roost tree

or daring you to cross the double yellow :clapping:

Not so strange as some of the herons are somewhat nocturnal. Quite common to hear the Bittern calling at night and foraging, believe the Back Crowned Night Heron is also nocturnal judging from its name. Did the location border on some marsh or swampy area?

Did the location border on some marsh or swampy area?

Not sure whats in the area Dave, From the road coming back (in daylight), I seen no marshes. Well I did, but they are totally dried up. This summer with no rain is causing a bad drought.

Edited by Brian B

Not so strange as some of the herons are somewhat nocturnal. Quite common to hear the Bittern calling at night and foraging, believe the Back Crowned Night Heron is also nocturnal judging from its name. Did the location border on some marsh or swampy area?

Might want to check the photography section I think I know my birds :D

Might want to check the photography section I think I know my birds :D

I know you know your birds, not getting what you mean. It is a heron and my observations from 2 years as Park Naturalist at Long Point Provincial Park that herons and Bitterns are quite vocal and forage at night as well .

I know you know your birds, not getting what you mean. It is a heron and my observations from 2 years as Park Naturalist at Long Point Provincial Park that herons and Bitterns are quite vocal and forage at night as well .

LOL i have to have a word with the kid my daughter baby sits I didn't write that

And you are correct Herons have more rods and cones in their eye to see better at night