Crown Land Camping/Fishing Spots

jaybird

Hey all, I'm planning a vacation for Canada Day weekend, and I was hoping to get up north onto some crown land, for a fishing/camping adventure. This would be my first time camping on crown land, and I'm open to going up hwy #11 or hwy #400. I don't want to go much further than Parry Sound/Huntsville.

I've read a bunch of similar threads on here, and I've gathered some good tips and information. I'm still stuck on location though. If anyone could share some good spots, and/or send me a PM with some ideas, that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Jay

Ct might have it, you could always look it up and buy it online as far as i know.

The backroads map book is a good way to get an idea of whats in a lake but dont take it for gospel, ive caught some of my biggest pike in lakes that it says only has little ones.

The only way to find out for sure is to pick a spot and go, if you dont like it try another next time until you find one thats just right for you.

Good luck, enjoy your adventure!

Yeah, I don't think many people are going to tell you where their crown land camping spots are. No offense, they just aren't.

S.

No kidding. Look into provincial parks or do start doing some research, south of Huntsville can be a tough go to find your own piece of crown land.

I can understand the reluctance of some people to share information with a stranger off a forum. I would be more than happy to go out and explore my own areas, if I wasn't limited by time. Unfortunately, time does limit me though, so I was just looking for some suggestions as to where to start. Some of you have given me a few ideas, and I thank you.

I was going to head out to McCrae Lake, but through my research off this forum, I've discovered that McCrae Lake seems to have become an overcrowded, party joint, that's not recommended by most.

look at the intersection of highway 522 and 69 - Grundy Lake.

keep looking further up highway 69, to where bucke lake (in grundy park) meets highway 69.

on the other wide of highway 69 (the west side), there is a river/stream/marsh that leads into a lake.

it has an island on the lake with crown land camping.

this is not a secret remote lake, by any means, but it has pike, bass, and some pickeral. good camping.

but it is south of the French river, so a little closer.

you will have to park off the side of the highway (the east side of the highway, just up from the crossing, has some rough parking).

look at the intersection of highway 522 and 69 - Grundy Lake.

keep looking further up highway 69, to where bucke lake (in grundy park) meets highway 69.

on the other wide of highway 69 (the west side), there is a river/stream/marsh that leads into a lake.

it has an island on the lake with crown land camping.

this is not a secret remote lake, by any means, but it has pike, bass, and some pickeral. good camping.

but it is south of the French river, so a little closer.

you will have to park off the side of the highway (the east side of the highway, just up from the crossing, has some rough parking).

Awesome! I will keep this spot in mind. Thanks

This is an great topic, unfortunately most are unwilling to share info. I'm doing a similar drip the end of this month aswell. I have a back road map but it doesn't show crown land. There is an online atlas that will show crown land (i don't have the link on my phone) so I have been cross referencing that with the back road map I have and Google maps. I've located a spot on the Pickerel River I plan to camp/fish/kayak. Finding a place to safely park is going to be tricky since I've never been there. I plan to just go for it and hope for the best!

You can't expect folks who have put in countless hours and hard work, to simply hand out the kind of info you seem to be taking trivially. That and the fact that this site has more lurkers then posters and you have a recipe for disaster on a number of levels.

HH