Solar panel for charging deep cycles?

pike slayer

I have a couple deep cycle batteries for my trolling motors. Is there a solar panel that can on board charge the battery to have nonstop power? If not what about a solar panel I can leave at camp for the day to charge the battery so it's good to go the following day?

You would probably need a solar panel the size of the boat to have any chance of keeping the battery charged. If you left it at the cottage, you would probably still need a similar sized panel.

The little ones that you get from Cdn Tire may extend the charge on the battery slightly; but they are not going to fully recharge a battery in one day.

In order to get a full charge you are going to need a pretty sizable panel or a pair of panels plus a charge controller.

For instance a this 80 watt system only puts out a maximum of 4.6 amps in full sun.

You really want at least twice and even better 3 times that output in order to get a good charge.

The charge controller is like the battery charger you plug in at home. It regulates the amount of charge going to the battery so as not to over or under charge it.

You would be better off with a 1000 watt generator and charger. ;)

the answer is no in the boat and no at the cottage of next day use

the peek amps is only for the 3 hours when sun light is max , then less amps before and after

you would need about 600 watts to even come close to charging in for next day use

As mentioned above, Not feasible for the boat.

For cottage, you will need a panel with a charge rate of 20% of your battery capacity to charge your battery in 5 to 7 hours in optimum conditions,(full/direct sunlight), you will also need a charge controller.

As a rule of thumb, a 15 watt panel charges at approx 1 amp per hour,
A 100 watt panel will give you approx 7 amps under optimum conditions.

At that rate it will take more than 15 hours to charge a 100 Ah battery. and that is under full direct sunlight.

normally you only get 3-4 hours of direct sun, unless you have the panel mounted on a tracker to follows the sun

What about a second batt that you keep charging while you use the other one? Much cheaper than a generator although that has more options.

You still need something to charge it with. A litte solar panel is not gowing to recharge the extra battery in a day. If the OP is roughing it for a 4-5 days; I doubt that he would be bringing a solar installation big enough to actually do anything worth while.

There was a 100W solar panel on sale for 40% to 50% off at CTC last week. Somewhere between $250.00 and $300.00. But like others have said here even at $500.00 regular price it won't meet your needs for that short term trip. I would just bring a second battery or 2 fully charged or invest in a small genny. A battery booster is a must for any boater. Great for camping too as it can be used to keep the phone charged or power a TV and provide a good camp table light. Can't go anywhere without our phone and internet today. I charged my $89.99 CTC booster pack last November and stuck it in my wife's car. It's still showing a full charge today and it was used to boost a car once last winter as well. Great insurance.