Using Gluvit....

Smokercrafty

So, after calling the local Line-X dealer in town, I wasn't shocked at the price I got for spraying the underside of the boat up past the water line/rivets.

Looking at the price of Gluvit, it almost makes sense to become a DIY'er job. The few questions I have, are, how much prep is required prior to application? (Besides what the container says). I have a slight water intrusion issue, nothing major. Should I tackle that first, or does this stuff work miracles?... Should I replace the transom considering I'm balls deep at this point? Last time I mounted rod holders I found wet wood. Also, what type of wood, or alternatives are there. It's looking like this boat is gonna stay with me for years to come.

Wet wood is no good. If it's the transom in the boat in your avatar it won't be too difficult. Take off the corners, motor, top aluminum cap over the rail and any other things like tie downs. The wood interior should come straight up. I did a couple of aluminum transoms in solid 1 inch maple and oak soaked in Thompsons water seal.

If you plan on keeping it for a while, def. replace the transom.

Gluvit works miracles... used it on my last boat and it's great. Whatever instructions were on the can seemed to work for me. I did 2 coats.. second coat went on with the first one still a little tacky.

Edited by hsousa

Thanks for the tips guys. I think I'll be setting a weekend aside for the job. Was the wood expensive? And where does one find something like that? As for the rivets, I'll just hit up the Brafasco on town. With regards to the prepping, did you go the whole nine yards and wire wheel all the paint from the rivets and seams?

Thanks for the tips guys. I think I'll be setting a weekend aside for the job. Was the wood expensive? And where does one find something like that? As for the rivets, I'll just hit up the Brafasco on town. With regards to the prepping, did you go the whole nine yards and wire wheel all the paint from the rivets and seams?

Yessir.. the most important/tedious part.

Without wire wheeling the gluvit will not get where it needs to.. it's not so liquidy like you might think. It's more of a maple syrup.

Where does one get this Gluvit product? Sounds interesting I'm re building a boat now and was going to go the Line-X route over the marine plywood floors, deck, bow box etc.

Got mine from a marina in downtown t.o. but it can be ordered online.. a lil pricey but worth every penny.

Where does one get this Gluvit product? Sounds interesting I'm re building a boat now and was going to go the Line-X route over the marine plywood floors, deck, bow box etc.

I was dumb enough not to jump on the sale they had, at $69, regular $100, but Leisure Marine in Woodbridge carries it.(based on a kijiji ad that was up) Maybe clearing old stock, who knows or cares, but at the time, I wasn't sure of the route I was gonna take.

As for the transom wood, would the big box stores carry what I need??

I don't know what your transom style is like, or how big of a hunk of wood you'll need, but I did the cottage tinner 2 summers ago and bought a big chunk of oak at home hardware. Worked great! Just use lots of 3m 5200 to seal all the bolt holes.

I just redid my 14 foot tinny and I replace about 150 rivets and re-bucked all the other ones to make sure they were tight. Tested it in the water before adding the floor and it's now water tight. Debated whether to put that Gluvit down or the rock guard spray but ended up just leaving it bare for future work if needed. Transom wood was in great shape so just cleaned it up and put it back together. Lots of work but I hope the 'sinking in two days' problem is over:)

Gluvit is well worth the price considering the labour and materials for ripping out the inside of a boat with a marine plywood floor etc.

If you are going to have plywood touching anything made of metal make sure the plywood is treated with something like spar varnish. The 19'er we are doing I bought some Ice and Snow shield and just cut strips and laid it on the edges of the marine grade plywood or anywhere it would touch the aluminum.

If you are going to replace the transom after you remove anything that is holding it in just Sawsall the transom out. I can't tell if it is all wood or a combo of both wood and Al. Put a few or more coats of Spar varnish on 100% of the wood for sure.

A great resource for marine repairs is the boating forum on

iboats.com

Edited by Old Ironmaker