Spring Bear Hunt is back on ! ! !

Mister G

I just can't get past the $25,000.00 fine or one year in jail for mistakenly shooting a sow with a cub.

Especially when you can shoot a cow moose with a calf or a doe with twin fawns

Edited by Dara

That's in the fall when they are better prepared to survive on their own.

So as long as they are a bit better prepared we won't go to jail.

I know a cub won't survive and I don't agree with shooting momma, but I won't be hunting bear in the spring if i'm going to jail for mistakenly shooting a sow with a cub

So as long as they are a bit better prepared we won't go to jail.

I know a cub won't survive and I don't agree with shooting momma, but I won't be hunting bear in the spring if i'm going to jail for mistakenly shooting a sow with a cub

If you make a mistake I'm sure the MNR might just bear with you.......LOL

Thats all good Dan, I still find it to be quite excessive punishment for such a mistake.

$500.00 fine, sure, but a year in jail? and $25,000.00..thats ridiculous.

Its like they are trying to appease the anti hunters

Edited by Dara

Thats all good Dan, I still find it to be quite excessive punishment for such a mistake.

$500.00 fine, sure, but a year in jail? and $25,000.00..thats ridiculous.

Its like they are trying to appease the anti hunters

Well, again that's just the bear facts.................

I'm not an anti-hunter at all, I support people's right to hunt. What I disagree with is the spring hunt as mentioned if a sow is killed it is basically certain death for the cubs. I also don't really see the sport in baiting a bear and then shooting it. They make these bears out to be aggressive man killers who are extremely dangerous and people think it's cool to kill them but all is not what it seems:

I'm glad they have implemented the steep fines for killing a mother bear.

If you think bear baiting is as simple as throwing out a bunch of scraps and then waiting for one to show up to blast it, you're pretty clueless. Bear are very in tune with their environment, and consistently successful bear hunters are very skilled at what they do.

So you mean, I can't just go to the dump and wait for one to show up? :P

I think the fines listed are an absolute maximum. I don't think 25G or a year in jail would ever happen unless you were going around shooting sows on purpose, at night, from your truck window.

It is very hard to mistake a sow with cubs when your bear hunting. The technology we have these days is crazy. Set up a bait, put a couple trail cams on it, and you will know what is coming before you even hunt. If there is a sow with cubs, move on. Its pretty simple really. It would be very hard to kill a sow accidentally. Most hunters are pretty ethical people and only want to do whats right. The whole argument about killing sows with cubs is really the only leg the antis have to stand on, so that's the fight they fight.

S.

I'm not an anti-hunter at all, I support people's right to hunt. What I disagree with is the spring hunt as mentioned if a sow is killed it is basically certain death for the cubs. I also don't really see the sport in baiting a bear and then shooting it. They make these bears out to be aggressive man killers who are extremely dangerous and people think it's cool to kill them but all is not what it seems:

That woman is going to get her a$$ chewed off one of these days doing that

I am not sure what your point is about how dangerous bears are or aren't. How aggressive are ducks, grouse, rabbits, deer, etc. towards humans? Thay can all be legally hunted.

p.s. Bears have been known to kill people. They are not always as timid as the one in the video. She is taking a big chance; just because it worked out okay that time doesn't mean it will always end well.