A Memory From My Paddling Days

solopaddler

Years back I paddled solo down the Allanwater River north east of Armstrong Ontario. My second day on the river I paddled through a forest fire, in one spot both sides of the river were blazing. Most of the river I was able to hop in and line my loaded canoe down through the rough water avoiding the fire. However at one point that was not possible as the rapids were too deep and rough. I put on long pants, long sleeved shirt, gloves, then jumped in the river to soak all of my clothes. I had to portage almost a full kilometer through burning forest with no real trail. About ever 10' it seemed there was another smoldering spruce tree fallen across my path at waist height. My first load with canoe and pack number one wasn't too bad as the canoe was sheltering my upper body. When I arrived at the end all of my clothes were bone dry and my gloves had a tinge of brown to them as the back of my hands were exposed to the heat carrying the canoe. Worst was my poor canoe - the gel coat was beginning to bubble and blister from the heat. Heading back up for my second load was tough without the protection of the canoe but I made it there and back.

The first photo is a shot looking upstream at the fire after I had paddled through it. The second shot is from my campsite on the north shore of Wabakimi Lake in the early evening as the fire approached the south shore of the lake.

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

Wow thats insane! I wouldnt get much sleep that night!

Totally safe on the north shore of the lake. I sat up most of the night watching the forest burn, it was quite the show. At one point early in the evening I saw two woodland caribou then a moose swim from the mainland over to an island.

That's a survival situation most of us will never encounter!. A neat experience in hindsight (and third party perspective) but in the moment I bet you were forced to balance your adrenaline rush with desperate and logical decisions.... Somehow it probably came natural to you.

That's a survival situation most of us will never encounter!. A neat experience in hindsight (and third party perspective) but in the moment I bet you were forced to balance your adrenaline rush with desperate and logical decisions.... Somehow it probably came natural to you.

Not really quite that Spock-like. More just do what you gotta do and do it fast. :)

That's just crazy! Why couldn't you wait it out? Were you an a tight schedule?

Is that a story that involves the superior gender?

I couldn't wait it out because once I got down the river far enough both banks were burning. I could've went back upstream with extreme difficulty but it made more sense to head downstream to Wabakimi Lake.

And no, that story involves Bill and fire LOL!