Beer Butt Chicken

Daplumma

I've been making these for more than a couple of years and with summer getting into full swing I thought I'd make some tonite.I like to inject myine with your favorite marinade,these are small 3.25 lb birds but I like to really fill them up in the breast and thighs.

gallery_7_64_64896.jpg

Next I take a tall boy beer and open up the lid a bit and pour out about 1/3 of the beer and reserve for later consuption by the chef.Take a couple tablespoons of minced garlic and put it in the beer can.careful ..it may bubble over!

med_gallery_7_64_66745.jpg

I then rub the chicken with olive oil and chicken rub.You can use store bought or any combination of salt,pepper,paprika,greek seasoning ect..slide the chicken over the can like this.

gallery_7_64_154007.jpg

Cover the grill with foil and cut a hole where the chicken can will go.You need a tall grill to do this.Indirect heat is key..

med_gallery_7_64_136499.jpg

Put them on the grill at med high and cook untill the breast is about 17 or so.I always feel a bit guilty cooking these in front of the girls.

med_gallery_7_64_140596.jpg

These took about and hour at temps between 450 and 550.Dig in!

gallery_7_64_155791.jpg

I'm off to eat now!!

Joe

One of the faults of this site...it will never help one diet! lol Haven't had chicken like that in years......boy do they look yummy! Thanks for reminding me of days past :)

Edited by bly

Tin foil, DOLT> why did I not think of that.. stops thoese darn burning the butt flairups :)

Looks good..

Finally a man who has slaved for his beer butt chicken.Been there done that..the would be the tip section of the post!

Joe

:spam: Lol!!

We will be passing thro' Viginny in a few weeks time,and if we smell that cooking, I'm gonna be sorely tempted to veer off for a visit. Looks sumptious....slurp ! :thumbsup_anim:

You know you are welcome here Jack,let me know.

Joe

Hey, that's what i had for dinner tonite!

The ones i had were cooked by a Canadian dude Ted Reader and was referred to as ' tall boy' chicken,

since he used 'tall boy' cans of Canadien beer and hickory smoked the chickens on the barbeque.

Had cedar planked bay scallops wrapped in bacon as well, and cedar planked barbeque mashed potatoes

that were pre- cooked 'ice cream scooped' onto the planks then crusted on the Q.

All leftovers from a large function i worked as chef at, luckily i have control of leftover food so got some home.

great stuff, yum-yum

ehg

i got a chicken from a barn almost 2 weeks ago and chopped its head off in my backyard and skinned it cuz i didnt feel like plucking. BBQ'd and it was the juiciest, best tasting chicken ive ever had. now thats FRESH :thumbsup_anim:

i didnt even bother injecting this one but it really didnt need it anyways.

A great tried and true recipe! I use my roasting pan instead of tin foil, makes it easier to remove the birds from the grill when their done. Also, just a tip, but ensure that you use a liquid, what ever it is in the can at room temperature. Taking a cold beer out of the fridge and using it will slow the cooking process and reduce the amount of moisture transfered to the bird!

HH

Sorry to bring back an old post....would like to replicate this recipe exactly and unsure of what the '17' stands for in the recipe?

"Put them on the grill at med high and cook untill the breast is about 17 or so."

Many thanks for the pictures and directions...heard about chicken done this way, but until now couldn't visualize how to do it!

Thanks Joe! Looking forward to it!

Sorry typo there..170F..Thats aboot 300 litres Canadian.Best of luck the best chicken you ever ate is awaiting you.

Joe

In our little northern Ontario school, it was hogsheads and leagues, until the government decided everyone should go metric....you can understand my confusion.

As the head chef, and head beer drinker of my household, I thought I'd pass along a couple things I've learned over the years making this...

1. Use an old pie plate underneath to catch drippings.

2. You can buy devices from Bass Pro, and CTC designed to hold the can, and the chicken that will prevent tipping over.

3. Try other liquids. White wine, Coke, rootbeer. I find ginger beer works fantastic, as does Sprite or 7 Up.

4. Leave the bird be! Don't poke it, don't move it, don't touch it. If you break the skin, you'll loose a lot of the juice. Keep an eye on the heat, and let the grill do the work for you!