Individual Channel Picking

Fisherman

I watch very little commercial TV any more 85% of what I watch is via streaming...I have been bugging the wife for the last 6 months to ditch cable all together, she has been hesitant because of the PVR thing and reliable sources...well I found her a app/source that gives her the ability to stream the major US networks with the ability to record her shows :thumbsup_anim:...and another app that gives her all the Bachelor and Bachelorette, Dancing with Stars and all the other crap she watches...I finally got the thumbs up to finally tell big red to kiss me... :asshat::D :D

If you have the Phoenix addon installed on Kodi, go to Woody , then HD Sports and there is an NBA/NHL tab with about 15 streams, I can usually find the Leafs and the Raptors games in 720 , just don't expect to watch the Leafs on CBC or TSN, usually it is Fox Sports and the home team and bias is for the opponent . My wife is the bigger sports fan here and we still have Bell :wallbash: , I'm just doing research before I make my pitch to cut the cord.

Well Mr. Davis the cable and satellite providers don`t seem to be overly concerned if they were they would be blocking and I think the same would apply to the authorities CRTC,RCMP...they don`t seem to be overly concerned either...for the record I stream I don`t download...

If you have a copy or access to the law that prohibits streaming please provide it, I do believe a US legal team asked cable companies to provide names of people who stream the Canadian courts basically told them to pound salt!!!

What I tend to 'sell' most often is as follows: Unlimited fastest internet that is avail at said home, basic (Good) tv pkg with the HP lite line. If you want just a 25mbps speed with UNL on it's own it's $96, all three are not much more than the one alone. So this get's you the best value for your $$$

Edited by GBW

you wont miss a thing lookinforwalleye. we sure don't. toughest sell was the wife but once she found she can watch all the crap she usually watches commercial free and on her own time, she's a happy camper

our bill went from ~160 a month to ~65 for techsavvy 25/2/400gb internet, netflix and nhl gamecenter. it'd be around 55 without NHL.

25 down and 400gb a month is more than enough for us, we can simulataneously stream on two tvs no problem and our usage is about 250gb a month on heavy months.

the hardware is two raspberry pi 2s for kodi and all its apps and we had existing video game systems (ps3 and wii u) that have netflix/nhl gamecenter apps.

cable/satellite is all but dead except for rural areas without decent internet.

Edited by Raf

Live streaming sports does suck quality-wise but like Raf said, just subscribe to a sports streaming service if you need it. That's the biggest thing I missed when cutting cable. I do stream my sports now and the quality is far from HD (I didn't feel the leafs warranted subscribing to NHL gamecentre this year lol)

Other than that, cable tv seems like a thing of the past, at least the way it is currently provided. I guess there are a few positives to cable...plug and play solution, easy to setup, supported, some people might like scheduled programming and flipping channels with options, etc. But cutting the cord and a little education you can set yourself up to avoid the monthly cable fee's and watch whatever you want, when you want. Much better that way.

I haven't been seduced into the android box, kodi etc yet. But between netflix, online streaming sites + chromecast and a crappy HD antenna with 11 channels, I don't miss cable other than the sports.