Individual Channel Picking

Fisherman

About 2 years ago someone posted on this forum info about installing an antenna type apparatus at their house, received a ton of different channels for about $400.00 total cost. No monthly fees! It would be nice to be able to view that post again.

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=78352&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

Was it this? I had posted about my brother installing an antenna on this....

Edited by Steelheadphycho

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression somewhere this spring that the cable providers would be required to offer individual channel picking. I checked with rogers and all they seem to have done is give you a basic package like before and then bundles. I don't watch sports, religion or shopping channels. I don't feel the need for CMT or any franco channels. Seems they have just changed the bundles around a bit and allow picking 15/20/30 channels or package prices. We package your favourite channels. Who the *@#* is Rogers to tell me what my favourite channels are. Any explanations would be welcome.

im logged into my rogers account now, go to your tv service, and under packages, you can choose individual channels, they're usually around $2.79 per month, I havce the fishing network as an extra channel, without all the extra channels in the package

To Old Iron Maker:

We are definitely ranting at the right people if we are ranting at the cable company. That sports talk show host you were listening to was probably on a Rogers owned station and spouting the company line about how it's sports leagues that are the reason your cable bill is too high. Betcha he never mentioned his companies' profits over the past year.

That's the problem when the cable company owns the radio and TV stations. Truth goes out the window.

FloatnFly, some can be added now (have been for a few stations for over a year) as a one off but this year will go to a base + all the channels you want. Now some are still in packages.

i've got well over 100 channels i can add, not counting the adult channels

So I assume that with Android box and Kodi I will lose the Network channels? Anybody can give me a quick low tech description of what I get and what I will be giving up if I go that route?

So I assume that with Android box and Kodi I will lose the Network channels? Anybody can give me a quick low tech description of what I get and what I will be giving up if I go that route?

What are you worried you won't get John? I can watch a show that is on live or watch it after the fact. I can search from TV show name or channels like CBC

There is a learning curve for sure...what build to use...what app to use...what link to choose...but like G said you can pretty much get everything that is available sometimes live sometimes the next day...next day is better, no commercials and you will also have access to a lot of stuff that the cable customer does not....you will need a good internet connection with decent speed and preferably it should be hardwired, for what it is worth I have had Kodi for 18 months and I have not bought or watched a DVD since I have been use it oh and it is great for music as well...

I would suggest you put KODI on a windows laptop if you have one and see how you like it...if you want to do that PM me and I can get you pointed in the right direction.

This is kinda interesting. Not sure what the range on this is but I'm sure you'd get quite a few channels in the GTA. and at that low price, it'd be worth a look......

GE 24792 Attic Mount Antenna with Compact Design Receiving https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DNJZ58M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_VX.Iwb42F0G6T

Im at $145 a month down here in NY with Time Warner (otherwise known as crime warner)...........I lived with a cut chord for about a year a few years back and thought i was gonna go bonkers without my hockey and football games so i jumped back in.

If the Sabres or Bills arent on, im watching NETFLIX or some of my movie apps thru a chromecast. If i could kick the sports, i could kick the cable easily.

Im at $145 a month down here in NY with Time Warner (otherwise known as crime warner)...........I lived with a cut chord for about a year a few years back and thought i was gonna go bonkers without my hockey and football games so i jumped back in.

If the Sabres or Bills arent on, im watching NETFLIX or some of my movie apps thru a chromecast. If i could kick the sports, i could kick the cable easily.

If I could find a way to watch Cavs and Indians games, I'd be all over it. Those games are rarely televised over the air. If I never had to listen to one of those "real housewives" barf bags speak again, IT'D BE TOO SOON!!!!

you will need a good internet connection with decent speed and preferably it should be hardwired

I would suggest you put KODI on a windows laptop if you have one and see how you like it...if you want to do that PM me and I can get you pointed in the right direction.

The bold is very true in the top line and I too second the "try it free before you buy hardware" idea. I went that route hence buying a box that most sell for $200 and because I tested what I was going to do I spent $50 a box and got three for less than others pay for one.

I sent a PM to Lookingforwalleye. I'm gathering info to pass on to my son in law. He'll be able to sort this out for me. I'm not a techie. I'm not familiar with these various boxes, hardware, software you guys are discussing.

GBW - which box are you referring to? Thanx

I have streamed every Habs game this year no issue....I am sure the Bills games are there for the taking too!

Ya, thats how i was getting my sports fix when i dropped cable for a while. The low resolution of the streams really bugged me, but even more-so.........was trying to find a working feed that would stream for me consistantly I dunno, i just had alot of frustration and badluck with the sites i was streaming from and it was a crap shoot whether they would work, freeze up, etc........

GBW - which box are you referring to? Thanx

for the android tv box's I went with the OTT BOX by MXQ of amazon.ca for $49 a unit. There are 3 units to pick from and each one goes up in price but the basic unit covers my needs and if I need to add more memory to it I can with SD cards.

the biggest thing you give up going with a box is live sports

yes, there are live streams out there but they aren't always great quality or reliable.

if you are a sports junky then get the box but also subscribe to a sports feed.. ie. nhl gamecenter then cut the cord. at ~100 a season it will still be cheaper than paying cable for a year.

the biggest thing you give up going with a box is live sports

yes, there are live streams out there but they aren't always great quality or reliable.

if you are a sports junky then get the box but also subscribe to a sports feed.. ie. nhl gamecenter then cut the cord. at ~100 a season it will still be cheaper than paying cable for a year.

Thats an extremely valid point, and definitely something ill be looking into

sure is...if your the type that likes everything in 1080 or 720 and wants it at the push of a button and does not mind paying 150 a month for that then a streaming box may not be for you....if you can live with doing a little searching and not always seeing everything in HD and like to be able to watch every movie and TV show ever made or have access to 100`s of channels from all over the world...watch 1000`s of documentaries and specialty shows ...loads of high quality music streams...all types of sporting events from around the world...one thing I do enjoy is watching my favorite programs the following day commercial free....if the latter sounds appealing then streaming may be for you...it will cost you 50-100 to see if you like it...or nothing if you have a laptop or a old android cell phone....

sure is...if your the type that likes everything in 1080 or 720 and wants it at the push of a button and does not mind paying 150 a month for that then a streaming box may not be for you....if you can live with doing a little searching and not always seeing everything in HD and like to be able to watch every movie and TV show ever made or have access to 100`s of channels from all over the world...watch 1000`s of documentaries and specialty shows ...loads of high quality music streams...all types of sporting events from around the world...one thing I do enjoy is watching my favorite programs the following day commercial free....if the latter sounds appealing then streaming may be for you...it will cost you 50-100 to see if you like it...or nothing if you have a laptop or a old android cell phone....

Im already living in the streaming world with a chromecast, and streaming netflix, and some movie apps along with youtube etc etc.......Im not a super HD snob lol. So the streaming life is for me. I agree, i like binge watching my favorite shows commercial free and in a row.